The last game you completed, and rating.

Associate
LOL - posting a review of the console only game that all PC owners are waiting for - you're just rubbing it in aren't you :)

I'm not, I still haven't even played GTA V and I've had that for years. I always think, OK Ill like this Rockstar game, cause they always get hyped and good reviews but they always leave me underwhelmed.

I guess red dead though does appeal to me more in terms of the concept so I might give it a go once its cheap enough on PC, so like in 5 years.

Man of Honour
OP
Tropico 6 - 7.5/10

Pros
- It has the tropico charm and humour
- Where does the time go?
- Runs well, even with an increased population cap and an older CPU
- lots of new, interesting features such as raids and trade routes
- lots of new buildings and upgrades
- a great map generator that with a little practice allows you to generate any map/scenario you wish to
- the new multiple island concept
- some challenging missions

Cons
- no social security edict leading to a modern metropolis with broke retirees in shacks
- no continual campaign like T5 with only disconnected missions
- the maps lack life
- rebel radio is really lacking
- rebel attacks work a little strangely currently

Associate
Assassins Creed Origins 8.5/10

Just finished the main story line on this and playing some of the side missions and starting with the DLC now. The gameplay was an interesting change from the predecessors of the series. The setting (Egypt) was amazing and learned a few things about the historic links to Greece and Rome etc. that I didnt know about but which I then read about. The story line was well stitched together in terms of historical events. The combat mechanism was refreshing but at times found it disjointed where I couldnt chain from one to the other quickly enough, possibly as I might have been doing something wrong as well. Found that the missions were not too repeatative as some of the previous ones. There were the occasional bugs where the character or the horse would get stuck behind objects but otherwise it was fine with no crashes etc.

Overall a very well made and enjoyable game. Now onto the DLC and then to Unity.

Soldato
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

8.5/10, very good setting, runs & looks great, brilliant and rewarding combat and captivating atmosphere. Just wish it was longer and slightly more fleshed out, then easily a 9/10 or even higher. Already started NG+.

DMC5

8/10, same as Sekiro in terms of technicalities - great optimisation and graphics, deep and varied combat system, lots of replayability (many difficulty levels, ratings etc.) but lacklustre locations. It's a game that gets better the more you master the intricacies of the combat and I didn't do that fully, I'll get back to it. For the price I got it at, it was a steal.

Soldato
Gears of War 4..... 8.5/10

A Game of 2 halves for me

I really am not a fan of the robots but once that part was out of the way it was back to proper gears and i enjoyed it. I read rumours the developers were working on a third person cover shooter with robots that got canned before gears 4. i almost wonder if they used some assets from that in gears?

VS MP is more of the same "classic" gears with its wall bouncing and OP shotgun... I am not gonna try to convince you it is good or bad, if you played gears you will already have an opinion.

Horde again for me a mixed bag, over all i like the traps and the mechanics..... but it gets a bit samey - i would rather more more variety in the waves and again, i really do not like the robots. personally i would prefer it if we could have hacked them and used the robots as allies and upped the badguy numbers....... I miss beast mode, that was really good fun.

Also am annoyed that they made the xbox1x version the definitive one with HDR but refused to support the PC port..... parts of the game would look so good with HDR.

but all that said for what it costs on CDKeys... it really is a no brainer purchase. i paid £20ish and never regretted it, you get LOADS of content as well.

Caporegime
Dusk (Episode 3).

+ more variety in map design than in the first two episodes
+ as before, beautiful, eerie and surreal (quite brilliant)
+ can't remember if the style of music was as varied in episodes 1&2, but there should be something for most people here with a mix of metal/rock and ambient (I always prefer the latter)
+ excellent sound overall
+ greater 'highs' in this episode

- more noticeable 'low points' in this episode
- one or two cheap moments
- semi-reluctant to refer to this as a negative, but a few too many frustrating puzzle-like situations for me
- boss fights (never liked 'em much as I tend to find them rather unintuitive and somewhat OTT)

Recommended overall. Solid shooter which pays homage to the likes of Quake, Doom, Heretic, etc.

Soldato
Divinity Original Sin 2 9/10

Excellent in everything but dragged a little. I also thought the plot was a bit subpar. Would be nice if they released a game which took itself a bit more seriously but with the same battle system.

Associate
Dark Souls II 10/10
Hard game, true, but worthy.
In general look similar to the first one. Let me explain: the graphics and the way the game flows I felt like it was more like a RPG feeling. Great game. The II is huge, and traveling between locations is a great tool.
Started playing the 3rd now, and the graphics and the gameplay, forgive me for saying that, but feels a touch like DMC. Personally, I like it. The combats are faster, the graphics really polished, and so far, 10/10.
The reason I'm playing relatively old games is that I haven't played for few years, so a good chance to catch up few good games at bargain prices.
Before them, RE 2 remake 10/10. Worthy the full price. Short but a fantastic game. And soon after DMC 5 9/10. Very good game, but I felt like something was missing.

Soldato
Taken me years cause we'll I always went to other games but finally finished of the starcraft2 trilogy.

Legacy of the void, it was great over all last two missions were abit annoying but the ending was good.

Cutscenes usual top quality by blizzard, graphics still good considering its age and its one of last true stratagy games we have left

8/10

I do have founder memories of hots though but I think that's because kerrigan is the best character imo

It's been left open for a possible three not that I think it will happen

Man of Honour
OP
Anno 1800 - 9.5/10

You can't really complete a game like Anno, but I have sunk a fair bit of time into it and will likely sink many times longer into it too. What it does it does extremely well. They are planning a lot more for the game too. I only don't give it 10 as it released with a few irritating bugs (these will hopefully be fixed today).

Soldato
Rage 2 - 6/10

(deep breath)

Finished it last night and was very disappointed. I, like many others, like to complete a game entirely on a first run through and while i ticked off every icon on the map and completed every mission (playtime roughly 18hrs on normal difficulty for litteraly everything) unlocked all skills and upgrades it just felt so underwhelming.

The world is quite big but the action parts are spread out quite a bit so you get some intense, really good shooty parts then a lot of drab and dull parts travelling to the next location. The vehicles are all terrible for handling and they were the only cause of my 4 deaths in the playthrough as I slide right off a cliff side. In the end I stopped using land vehicles altogether after getting the Icarus as it was far and away the best way to travel and only cost $10 to spawn even if you lost it.

I felt I was overpowered quite early in the game and a lot of the ugrades/abilites I got are not really used all that often. Slam being the most effective of the abilites so I barely used any of the others (except vortex, that's good when upgraded)

Of the 8 or so weapons you only really end up using the assault rifle / shotgun regularly as they are the most effective. The revolver is nice too just to set enemies on fire now and again. The rest are mostly forgettable.

Overall It's not a bad game just that it's pacing is terrible and is held back by the open world itself and once you have checked everything off the map there's nothing to come back to so only thing left to do was uninstall.

Final verdict: Worth a punt when it hit's the £10 mark but until then I recommend waiting.

Soldato
Rage 2 - 6/10

(deep breath)

Finished it last night and was very disappointed. I, like many others, like to complete a game entirely on a first run through and while i ticked off every icon on the map and completed every mission (playtime roughly 18hrs on normal difficulty for litteraly everything) unlocked all skills and upgrades it just felt so underwhelming.

The world is quite big but the action parts are spread out quite a bit so you get some intense, really good shooty parts then a lot of drab and dull parts travelling to the next location. The vehicles are all terrible for handling and they were the only cause of my 4 deaths in the playthrough as I slide right off a cliff side. In the end I stopped using land vehicles altogether after getting the Icarus as it was far and away the best way to travel and only cost $10 to spawn even if you lost it.

I felt I was overpowered quite early in the game and a lot of the ugrades/abilites I got are not really used all that often. Slam being the most effective of the abilites so I barely used any of the others (except vortex, that's good when upgraded)

Of the 8 or so weapons you only really end up using the assault rifle / shotgun regularly as they are the most effective. The revolver is nice too just to set enemies on fire now and again. The rest are mostly forgettable.

Overall It's not a bad game just that it's pacing is terrible and is held back by the open world itself and once you have checked everything off the map there's nothing to come back to so only thing left to do was uninstall.

Final verdict: Worth a punt when it hit's the £10 mark but until then I recommend waiting.

Thank you, I was debating it but this cleared it up perfectly for me. I'll wait for the Christmas sale when no doubt it will be at least 50% off.

Caporegime
Rage 2 - 6/10

(deep breath)

Interesting read, thanks. I seldom buy games these days when newly released so I'll probably grab this when it's peanuts, but it does look quite good fun/vibrant and engaging. How 'open' is the open world or is it only a little more so than the first game?

Associate
A plagues Tales 8.5/10

A simple single player linear game with easy puzzles/stealth and light action gameplay. Whats makes it great is excellent voice acting (i used the french option due to its setting) excellent graphics (PC@max) great characters and a interesting story.

Hope they continue the story. Game could have done with a bit more variety in enemies and gameplay but the pacing of the game and story kept it interesting all the way through.

One of my fave games of the year.

Soldato
IHow 'open' is the open world or is it only a little more so than the first game?

It's certainly more open than the previous game with notably distinct areas that have different flavours and there is a fair bit to see but nothing that's really spectacular or that jumps out and grabs your attention. It does have a nice day / night cycle but not much if any at all for weather effects like sandstorms in the desert or rain or storms. That's not to say all this is neccesary to enjoy the game but it would have been a great addition to a wasteland (think of that sand tornado storm in Mad Max)

It's biggest plus is the combat which by itself really is great I just wish they had paid the same attention to detail on the world as they have on the combat.

I really don't want to knock the game too much as it does have a fair bit to keep you busy and is fun to play but compared to the likes of Assassins Creed Oddysey for instance, it just lacks the kind of love and attention to detail that ACO has.

I suppose in a way we have been spoiled and tend to expect everything to be really good no matter what big budget game we play but for all it's faults when the price drops a fair bit its well worth getting just for having a blast but there's little reward for completionists. And if you have played the previous rage well...

The ending is just as terrible and anticlimatic as the first game

PS: Jim Sterling summed it up perfectly in his latest video. Well worth a watch.

Soldato
Not really "completed" but I just made Elite for exploration in Elite Dangerous, after my second trip out to Beagle Point. After a while you could argue it's not even really a game at that stage, spending weeks jumping from one identikit Forge spawned system to another. Still it was kind of worth it on my return to civilisation and finding I'd bagged numerous first finds, 500mil credits and that eponymous Elite rating. Now to do the same thing again for trading then combat...

Soldato
Sekiro - 6/10 for me. It is not on the same level as a dark souls or bloodbourne which are some of my favourite games.

I found the difficult spikes more annoying than a challenge and the nature of the game essentially turned it into a boss rush mode.

It was nice that they tried something different it it was not for me.

Back
Top Bottom