The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
Metro 2033 - Redux 7/10

Had it in my steam list for years, finally played it and finished it, over all enjoyed it, great atmosphere, felt like story needed more though

Soldato
Vampyr

I loved this. Kind of surprised it didn't get that much attention. Although I hear it did sell over a million copies, so I guess it did quite well.

You can tell it's by a smaller developer with a limited budget, and there's some jankiness and a number of things that probably should have been improved in development.

I don't mind janky RPGs, though, so long as they do enough of the important things well, and this game really does.

It's superb, imo, in its presentation of world and atmosphere. The map is quite small and you do a lot of to-ing and fro-ing against enemies that respawn at various times, but what there is does a superb job of putting you in an environment with the feeling of a grim, dark city on the verge of collapse - London at the end of WWI and in the midst of the Spanish flu epidemic.

There are a lot of interesting stories connected to the characters who inhabit London too, and the way the game weaves the player learning these stories into the gameplay is done very well. You get XP for discovering elements of their backstories that they are initially unwilling to share (and if you want to suck their blood you get much more XP from that the better the connection between you and the characters).

The stories fit the environment, too. The returning soldiers with shell-shock, the doctor who abuses drugs to get through the horror and stress of caring for patients of the epidemic, the marriages that have been irreparably damaged by the war, the slumlords, violent gangs and rackets thriving in the chaos, and so on. A really well-realised world inhabited by fleshed-out and interesting characters.

Most of the game's XP comes from killing and drinking the blood of people in the world. The game does a nice job of tempting you with this whilst also setting up a counter-dynamic - not only are you invested in these people's stories, but their deaths will contribute to the chaos and lawlessness of the districts they inhabit. If you want the most powerful vampiric abilities, though, you need to select who you will kill and drain. I like how this mirrors the protagonist's struggle with his thirst for blood versus his attempt to cling to his humanity.

However, I did a no-killing run and it never actually felt difficult enough for me to want the extra XP, so in actuality, the temptation for blood didn't last long into my game.

The combat is okay. I enjoyed it for the most part, but it's kind of a poor man's Dark Souls, with dodging and stamina management at the fore, but without the fine-tuning of the encounters that gives Dark Souls its tactical complexity and combat depth. Every boss fight basically had one gimmick that particular boss had that you had to deal with. Actually, a few bosses shared almost identical gimmicks that really only differed graphically. Anyway, they could all be managed the same way - keep distance, watch for the well-telegraphed gimmicks and dodge in and out. No real challenge, no real need to adapt.

By the end I felt the game badly needed more enemy variety, more varied boss fights, and more interesting special character abilities. A map repopulated with brawlers, chaplains and beasts that have high HP but are no real threat (and give the player no incentive to fight other than being in the way) is not fun to navigate across for the 20th time.

Despite the faults, my mind keeps wandering back to this game since finishing it, which is a sign of the pull it had on me. I really hope they produce the rumoured sequel with a bigger budget.

8.5/10 for me. Some flaws, but so much to like.

Associate
The Outer Worlds - Overall Rating: 6/10

Graphics: 7/10
Sound:5/10
Gameplay: 6/10
Story: 6/10
Dialogue: 5/10
AI: 5/10

This'll probably come across as mostly negative; just to be clear I did have fun playing The Outer Worlds but wanted to highlight some of the negatives.

I pretty much burnt through this game at what I would consider as lightning speed for me... normally I'm extremely slow when it comes to completing games and take my sweet time with exploring and finding every little things that I can. Completed the game in just four sittings, taking a total of around 21 hours to complete every quest I could find.

Overall, I'd say that I found most of the game enjoyable as a one-off experience but it has zero replay value.
I felt that two major things that let down the rest of the game for me was the sound and the dialogue (not including one particular moment of the game that ruined my entire experience - see spoiler):
  • Did this game have music? Honestly, I have to say I actually can't recall even noticing there being any music in the game because the background audio was so uninteresting and forgettable.
  • Dialogue was bland, provided little value and during quite a few parts of the game made me feel the urge to skip through it entirely.
Graphically, this game had some good things going for it. Some of the environments that you get to explore look quite nice and that first time you open the doors at the Groundbreaker was a really nice surprise for the eyes. They could have toned down the brightness and the colours a little bit, but other than that I was fairly impressed with how the game looked on a 3440x1440 resolution.

The feeling of the settlements being somewhat dead could have been solved with some really simple scripting. Some stuff they could have done would be to make it so some of those ships flying by overhead landed and pretended to offload stuff, drunk patrons could have staggered out of the bars, people could actually go to bed at night, people having arguments could take a swing at each other, they could have guards changing over on shifts.

With the companions, I felt that they added almost no value to the game other than to provide random bits of background noise when they were talking to each other and to judge your character whenever you made a dialogue choice they didn't like. Two of them start off with some pretty powerful gear and can kill almost everything you face right off the bat, rendering your need to carry a weapon a waste of inventory space. They could have just made them NPCs that you talk to on the ship and instead of them giving you skill boosts just change one of the unlocked feats to provide that boost.

Speaking of the skills... I felt like you get too many skill points each level as you could level up too many things to a point where the game becomes an instant walk in the park. The Hacking and Lockpick skills in particular are way too powerful with how you can get into everywhere and access everything, followed by the Persuasion skill as that one makes you have the ability to do pretty much whatever you like without consequence.
Not that the game was difficult at all, I don't think I can recall a single moment where I felt like my character was even remotely in danger. If one of the NPCs asked if my character was some kind of god I think I would have probably assumed that the people of the Hope were some kind of superior being or were all experimental super soldiers.

For a change of pace, let's talk about something positive...
The way the game handled some of the more stealth elements was pretty clever - I quite liked that idea of getting your hands on a cartridge that allowed you to create a kind of digital disguise, allowing you to walk freely for a limited time in the restricted zones. I would have liked for the developers to extend on that a bit further and make it something a bit more involved to seek out or earn the cartridges for each area but it was a good idea.

I also liked some of the unique science weapons that you had a quest to track down, each of those added a bit of fun to the gameplay and gave me a little bit of time just having fun with silly effects.

Back to the negative...
I think something that irritated me the most throughout my time in this game is probably the blatant overuse of Firefly as a major influence/reference. While I do like Firefly and thought it was a brilliant little TV series, this game just felt too much like they wanted to make a Firefly game but couldn't get the rights to use any of the official content.

I've seen a lot of people saying this game is too much like Fallout but for me the amount of things that resemble things from Firefly stood out more... the awkward female engineer, the preacher with a shady background, the jock type who's rather violent, the shape of your ship, the cattle you randomly transport, the style of the settlements on Monarch, the guy who lives in a radio station, the fact that they have "Firefly" labels on a various things in the game... it's all just too much.

Only read the spoiler below if you have completed the game or don't care about knowing what the final enemy that you fight is.

Ok, so this is the part of the game that ruined my entire experience - I was so utterly let down by this chain of events that I almost uninstalled the game immediately after the last bit happened.

The AI was another issue that I had with this game, partly due to the absolute pointlessness of the companions and also due to the populated areas not feeling 'alive' because the game didn't really make use of any decent path finding or animations...

When you're in the final area, working you way through the level to rescue Mr. Welles you have all of these other AI people coming in and murdering everyone! I was doing a play through where I pretty much avoided hurting anyone that didn't need to be put down and these AI buffoons just come through and cause an absolute bloodbath... Not only that, they're so damn effective and strong that they are overpowering all of the enemy targets before I can even look at what is going on!
For probably a good 70% of this level I was just walking around picking up loot from corpses because there was nothing for me to do.

Then finally just moments away from finally meeting my nemesis, the chairman of the board, came the final straw that made me groan with such displeasure that my housemate actually poked her head around the wall to ask me what was wrong.

What had just occurred was two really bad game design moments in a row... first the supposedly epic fight with a powerful mechanical enemy was completely bypassed by pressing a button on a computer terminal. I thought surely, the game developers would have made it so that you either deal with the mechanical enemy or turn it off and deal with a bunch of goons in its stead... but nope, if you disable the robot it just flops to the floor and you can walk right up to the chairman without any resistance.
The second bit... now this is the bad bit... I had one of my companions with me for this part of the game and they were supposedly on 'passive'... but much to my shock and disappointment, before I could even walk into the room where the chairman was standing, Felix ran up and one-tapped the chairman... gee, thanks Felix!

Soldato
Strange Brigade (in coop) - Base game not started DLC yet.

It is not the longest game in the world and there is nothing especially novel about it, but the visual are nice, the narration engaging and mechanically it all works well.

Gameplay wise Its got a L4D feel about which is no bad thing but the levels are imo a bit more interesting visually.

only real gripe is, the base game at least, does not have a huge amount of levels...... i dare say it was wrapped up in about 12 hrs. there is some replayability to get all the collectables and we didnt play on the hardest level.

if you see the complete edition for around the £15 mark and are after a well put together co-op (up to 4) game, then I dont think you will go far wrong.

Single player I dare say there are better out there... but solo is not where this game is designed to shine.

Soldato
The Outer Worlds - MS Gamepass

This was a strange one for me. I'd been looking forward to it for months and had initially planned to buy it upon release. In hindsight, I'm glad I got it via MS Gamepass instead....The first few hours really hooked me, however as the game progressed, my interest wavered and I found myself skipping a good chunk of the dialogue. Whereas my first ten hours of gameplay where filled with intrique and excitement, this soon trailed off when I started to realise that the game was missing something. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just seemed incomplete at times. Almost a "lite" version of what I was expecting. The fact that the towns were rather empty and lifeless didn't help, nor did the multitude of mundane side quests, which in my opinion didn't serve in any way to ingratiate the characters, story or lore to me. I did an exhaustive 32 hour playthrough; explored everything, talked to everyone and completed as many quests as I could find. Exactly why several planets were still closed off to me at the end, is anyones guess.

Lastly, and without being spoilerific, the ending (the good one in my case) was quite a let down. Not so much because of the way in which it was presented, but because the dialogue prior to the closing credits leads you to believe that "there's still a lot more to do!".....which apprarently, there isn't. Prior to my playthrough, I'd imagined that The Outer Worlds would take first place over my current favourite game of the last 2 years; Prey. But, nope. Still worth it though. Sort of.

6/10

Soldato
Gears of War 5

A bit of a slog if I’m being honest. Lovely graphics and smooth gameplay but it’s just more of the same. The inclusion of Jack the ‘bot’ was cool though as was the/his ending.

Strong storyline but shooting became repetitive and I had to literally drag myself through the last two chapters, despite being sucked in toward the end of chapter 1.

6/10.

Soldato
WWZ

Was actually really enjoyable to start but the game got repetitive very quickly. Graphics are good but so so at times.

No strong storyline to speak of and the servers aren’t so full anymore so finding other players is difficult which actually makes the game a lot harder because the ai Co players aren’t so great.

Didn’t actually finish the very last ‘module’ due to being bored/no rl players to help me with the hordes and desperately wanting to start RDR2 with this being the only hurdle in the way.

I didn’t mind paying full price for this game and as said above it can be a fun shooter but content is lacking to keep up the interest. Having all your xp and upgraded weapons reset after a patch didn’t help my mood either.

4/10.

Associate
Haven’t posted here for a while and completed many a game of which I can’t remember lol but recently completed Man Of Medan and enjoyed it.

It’s quite short but I’d still give it 8/10. I enjoyed the story and the fact it’s a decision based game that affects the story and the presentation and graphics are fantastic on it as well which is a plus.

Ive also been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance for a while that gets a solid 9. It’s a cracking open world Medieval RPG which you can basically play however you want. I don’t know exactly how many hours I’ve put in but I’d guess it’d be close to triple figures if not more lol.

Some may find things a little cluncky especially the combat but bare with it and you will begin to enjoy and it will feel very rewarding when you master it. You have to eat and sleep, bathe, clean your clothes and make sure your weapons are maintained. There’s loads to do the game and skills to level up such as speech by talking to anyone in the game and reading so you can talk your way out of tight situations so it will keep you busy for a while.

I’d definitely recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:

ne0

ne0

Associate
The Outer Worlds

Got bored and uninstalled about 10 hours in. Massively overrated game, in fact probably the most overrated game I've ever played. Shallow, simplistic, contrived and a very limited game world to explore. Visuals are not my cup of tea either.

Modern Warfare
Absolutely amazing, can't wait to play the campaign again. Playing on a 2080TI build with all the bells and whistles, graphics are easily the best I've ever seen and it runs at an unbelievably high frame rate considering the graphical fidelity on show. The MP is flipping amazing too.

ne0

ne0

Associate
Gears of War 5

Got bored and uninstalled about 2/3 in. Game loses momentum when you get to the more open areas and you're travelling around on the weird ski thing. Gameplay is repetitive and predictable. I absolutely loved Gears 4 but this one was just crap imo.

ne0

ne0

Associate

This was a strange one for me. I'd been looking forward to it for months and had initially planned to buy it upon release. In hindsight, I'm glad I got it via MS Gamepass instead....The first few hours really hooked me, however as the game progressed, my interest wavered and I found myself skipping a good chunk of the dialogue. Whereas my first ten hours of gameplay where filled with intrique and excitement, this soon trailed off when I started to realise that the game was missing something. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just seemed incomplete at times. Almost a "lite" version of what I was expecting. The fact that the towns were rather empty and lifeless didn't help, nor did the multitude of mundane side quests, which in my opinion didn't serve in any way to ingratiate the characters, story or lore to me. I did an exhaustive 32 hour playthrough; explored everything, talked to everyone and completed as many quests as I could find. Exactly why several planets were still closed off to me at the end, is anyones guess.

Lastly, and without being spoilerific, the ending (the good one in my case) was quite a let down. Not so much because of the way in which it was presented, but because the dialogue prior to the closing credits leads you to believe that "there's still a lot more to do!".....which apprarently, there isn't. Prior to my playthrough, I'd imagined that The Outer Worlds would take first place over my current favourite game of the last 2 years; Prey. But, nope. Still worth it though. Sort of.

6/10

I felt the same, it's not just you. I have no idea how/why this game has got such accolades.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

6/10
Those planets were like gas giants/inhabitable. Every solar system has them. Lol. But I guess most people do not know this and would be confused.

I can imagine if some humans were given a star ship right now they would be trying to land on and explore Jupiter and Saturn :p

I think my playthough was aided by the fact I kept it at under 20 hours. The game did not have enough interesting content beyond that and adding 50% more time in that game world would become very samey leading to a much poorer experience.

I gave it a 8 out of 10 though now looking back due to it not being memorable at all and me having no interest of playing it again I would lower that score to 7 out of 10.

I am however looking forward to The Outerworlds 2 though. If they improve story, provide more interesting npc's etc then it will be fun to play. Rather play that then games like modern ware/battlefield crap.

Soldato
Those planets were like gas giants/inhabitable. Every solar system has them. Lol. But I guess most people do not know this and would be confused.

I can imagine if some humans were given a star ship right now they would be trying to land on and explore Jupiter and Saturn :p

I think my playthough was aided by the fact I kept it at under 20 hours. The game did not have enough interesting content beyond that and adding 50% more time in that game world would become very samey leading to a much poorer experience.

I gave it a 8 out of 10 though now looking back due to it not being memorable at all and me having no interest of playing it again I would lower that score to 7 out of 10.

I am however looking forward to The Outerworlds 2 though. If they improve story, provide more interesting npc's etc then it will be fun to play. Rather play that then games like modern ware/battlefield crap.

Both Hephaestus and Typhon could* have been used in some way or another; a secret underground base, or an abandoned mining operation for example. I think the somewhat limited scope of the game lends a misguided belief to the player, that the game is going to extend beyond what is initially presented. However, it doesn't; it doesn't seem to pick up steam. I'm still glad I played it though.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Both Hephaestus and Typhon could* have been used in some way or another; a secret underground base, or an abandoned mining operation for example. I think the somewhat limited scope of the game lends a misguided belief to the player, that the game is going to extend beyond what is initially presented. However, it doesn't; it doesn't seem to pick up steam. I'm still glad I played it though.
I agree that there was not enough high quality content in this game. They need to go back and see how much there was in Fallout 3. Really enjoyed that game. Even Fallout 4 was disappointing to me.

Soldato
The Outer Worlds - Overall Rating: 6/10

Graphics: 7/10
Sound:5/10
Gameplay: 6/10
Story: 6/10
Dialogue: 5/10
AI: 5/10

This'll probably come across as mostly negative; just to be clear I did have fun playing The Outer Worlds but wanted to highlight some of the negatives.

I pretty much burnt through this game at what I would consider as lightning speed for me... normally I'm extremely slow when it comes to completing games and take my sweet time with exploring and finding every little things that I can. Completed the game in just four sittings, taking a total of around 21 hours to complete every quest I could find.

Overall, I'd say that I found most of the game enjoyable as a one-off experience but it has zero replay value.
I felt that two major things that let down the rest of the game for me was the sound and the dialogue (not including one particular moment of the game that ruined my entire experience - see spoiler):
  • Did this game have music? Honestly, I have to say I actually can't recall even noticing there being any music in the game because the background audio was so uninteresting and forgettable.
  • Dialogue was bland, provided little value and during quite a few parts of the game made me feel the urge to skip through it entirely.
Graphically, this game had some good things going for it. Some of the environments that you get to explore look quite nice and that first time you open the doors at the Groundbreaker was a really nice surprise for the eyes. They could have toned down the brightness and the colours a little bit, but other than that I was fairly impressed with how the game looked on a 3440x1440 resolution.

The feeling of the settlements being somewhat dead could have been solved with some really simple scripting. Some stuff they could have done would be to make it so some of those ships flying by overhead landed and pretended to offload stuff, drunk patrons could have staggered out of the bars, people could actually go to bed at night, people having arguments could take a swing at each other, they could have guards changing over on shifts.

With the companions, I felt that they added almost no value to the game other than to provide random bits of background noise when they were talking to each other and to judge your character whenever you made a dialogue choice they didn't like. Two of them start off with some pretty powerful gear and can kill almost everything you face right off the bat, rendering your need to carry a weapon a waste of inventory space. They could have just made them NPCs that you talk to on the ship and instead of them giving you skill boosts just change one of the unlocked feats to provide that boost.

Speaking of the skills... I felt like you get too many skill points each level as you could level up too many things to a point where the game becomes an instant walk in the park. The Hacking and Lockpick skills in particular are way too powerful with how you can get into everywhere and access everything, followed by the Persuasion skill as that one makes you have the ability to do pretty much whatever you like without consequence.
Not that the game was difficult at all, I don't think I can recall a single moment where I felt like my character was even remotely in danger. If one of the NPCs asked if my character was some kind of god I think I would have probably assumed that the people of the Hope were some kind of superior being or were all experimental super soldiers.

For a change of pace, let's talk about something positive...
The way the game handled some of the more stealth elements was pretty clever - I quite liked that idea of getting your hands on a cartridge that allowed you to create a kind of digital disguise, allowing you to walk freely for a limited time in the restricted zones. I would have liked for the developers to extend on that a bit further and make it something a bit more involved to seek out or earn the cartridges for each area but it was a good idea.

I also liked some of the unique science weapons that you had a quest to track down, each of those added a bit of fun to the gameplay and gave me a little bit of time just having fun with silly effects.

Back to the negative...
I think something that irritated me the most throughout my time in this game is probably the blatant overuse of Firefly as a major influence/reference. While I do like Firefly and thought it was a brilliant little TV series, this game just felt too much like they wanted to make a Firefly game but couldn't get the rights to use any of the official content.

I've seen a lot of people saying this game is too much like Fallout but for me the amount of things that resemble things from Firefly stood out more... the awkward female engineer, the preacher with a shady background, the jock type who's rather violent, the shape of your ship, the cattle you randomly transport, the style of the settlements on Monarch, the guy who lives in a radio station, the fact that they have "Firefly" labels on a various things in the game... it's all just too much.

Only read the spoiler below if you have completed the game or don't care about knowing what the final enemy that you fight is.

Ok, so this is the part of the game that ruined my entire experience - I was so utterly let down by this chain of events that I almost uninstalled the game immediately after the last bit happened.

The AI was another issue that I had with this game, partly due to the absolute pointlessness of the companions and also due to the populated areas not feeling 'alive' because the game didn't really make use of any decent path finding or animations...

When you're in the final area, working you way through the level to rescue Mr. Welles you have all of these other AI people coming in and murdering everyone! I was doing a play through where I pretty much avoided hurting anyone that didn't need to be put down and these AI buffoons just come through and cause an absolute bloodbath... Not only that, they're so damn effective and strong that they are overpowering all of the enemy targets before I can even look at what is going on!
For probably a good 70% of this level I was just walking around picking up loot from corpses because there was nothing for me to do.

Then finally just moments away from finally meeting my nemesis, the chairman of the board, came the final straw that made me groan with such displeasure that my housemate actually poked her head around the wall to ask me what was wrong.

What had just occurred was two really bad game design moments in a row... first the supposedly epic fight with a powerful mechanical enemy was completely bypassed by pressing a button on a computer terminal. I thought surely, the game developers would have made it so that you either deal with the mechanical enemy or turn it off and deal with a bunch of goons in its stead... but nope, if you disable the robot it just flops to the floor and you can walk right up to the chairman without any resistance.
The second bit... now this is the bad bit... I had one of my companions with me for this part of the game and they were supposedly on 'passive'... but much to my shock and disappointment, before I could even walk into the room where the chairman was standing, Felix ran up and one-tapped the chairman... gee, thanks Felix!

In regards to spoiler

Could try again, unless there is a route through the game which means that situation will happen. I had a conversation with chairman and actually got him under my thumb instead. There is another "Boss" of sorts and depending on discussion there can also change the ending. Ran through that chairman chat a few times with save few moments prior to change the endings I got slightly, but each time had opportunity to discuss with him without fail. May just be a route the game went for you possibly

Soldato
Gears 5 - 7/10

I really enjoyed it. Graphics are stunning and it performs brilliantly. 3440*1440, all ultra and silky smooth on 1080ti. The cut scenes are ultra wide and unlocked FPS; the way it should always be.

Game play got repetitive, but I enjoyed the final acts. It's one to spend an hour or two on at a time.

Soldato
Shadow of the tomb raider 5/10

Considering first two got so much right this felt like it was handled by a different team.

Gameplay was same as I expected that hadn't changed much, however the skill tree being expanded didn't work for me, the upgrading of the guns this time didn't feel like it changed much.

Side quests? Don't bother I did 5 and as they were boring entirely I just stopped doing them plus.

Being in paititti for quite a large chunk of the game I found annoying as well.

It's not all bad though it was a pretty game just not a spot on the first two

Soldato
Shadow of the tomb raider 5/10

Considering first two got so much right this felt like it was handled by a different team.

Gameplay was same as I expected that hadn't changed much, however the skill tree being expanded didn't work for me, the upgrading of the guns this time didn't feel like it changed much.

Side quests? Don't bother I did 5 and as they were boring entirely I just stopped doing them plus.

Being in paititti for quite a large chunk of the game I found annoying as well.

It's not all bad though it was a pretty game just not a spot on the first two

I loved the first Tomb Raider (the rebooted one), but the other 2, I just can't get stuck into. It's too 'serious', after playing Uncharted on the Playstation, it horrible skewed my vision of what a good tomb raiding adventure should be. I thoroughly loved Uncharted 4! Not the latest one however, it should have been released as a DLC.

Back
Top Bottom