US: The Last Kingdom - Yes it's better than Game of Thrones

D3K

D3K

Soldato
This gets more unbearable by the episode. It's a far cry from Vikings, let alone GoT.
It must have been a hell of a read to rate it above GoT.

The fight with Abba was great, until Uhtred killed him. That shouldn't have been possible. Show was grating up til then - it nosedived for me after
I'll see it out til the end of the season though

Soldato
Surely spoiler tags aren't necessary? I'm going to assume anyone reading this has watched up to the 8th and final episode.

This is the US forum, if you're watching on BBC, stop reading.

I know we are agreeing it's not like GoT, but the fight with Abba did remind me of the Viper vs The Mountain. Great scene.

Then, in this last episode, love Uhtred's vaulting/sumersault of the line. At first I thought they'd gone too far, how would he survive, but it worked well with his men following him in through the gap in the line. Fantastic scene.

It was a shame 'arseling' fella took a sword to the jugular, he was a fun character.

I like how it all finished up. This is how shows should end seasons. They tied everything up, but set up the next season with him heading north.

Soldato
So there are how many books? 3? How many did this series cover, just the first?

Err, at last count there were 9 books..........

The Last Kingdom, The Pale Horseman, The Lords of the North, Sword Song, The Burning Land, Death of Kings, The Pagan Lord, The Empty Throne, Warriors of the Storm.

Series 1 sort of combined The Last Kingdom and The Pale Horseman together, whilst missing out huge (and in my mind important) chunks of the books, for example the time Uhtred spent in command of Alfred's fleet of 12 ships. Also Leofric (the one who calls Uhtred aersling) is a highbrid of two characters even though one of them makes an individual appearance (Wulfhere) in the series :confused:

The series has been watchable but I have been completely disappointed by the butchery committed on the books which has also adversely affected a sense of continuity.

I hope it gets a second series and can improve as I really approve of some of the casting especially Alfred, David Dawson was a great choice and plays it well and when we got action it was relatively well done and bloody.

Soldato
Err, at last count there were 9 books..........

The Last Kingdom, The Pale Horseman, The Lords of the North, Sword Song, The Burning Land, Death of Kings, The Pagan Lord, The Empty Throne, Warriors of the Storm.

Not sure what the Err was for, I asked a question. I think I just had 3 in my mind from the first sentance...

Having read the first 3 books

But that was just how many the OP had read, my bad.

For me, having never read the books, I wouldn't have said there were continuity issues, is that just because you expected things to happen that didn't?

Good news on so many books though, should get 4 to 7 more series then perhaps?

Soldato
Not sure what the Err was for, I asked a question. I think I just had 3 in my mind from the first sentance...

Ahhhh man, my bad :( I was Errring in the sense of let me think, count the number of books and remember the titles, it was more of a squeezing err to shift the mental constipation but reading it back now it does sound a bit more like a derrrrr youz stupid noob :o

Stupid subtle written word and lack of emotional inflection :mad:

I appologise

Caporegime
I really enjoyed it overall.

Was quite shocked by Iseult's beheading though. Thought she would end up with Uthred after the battle. Even in a TV show, there's something about a severed head that I find quite disturbing.

Suspended
I really enjoyed it overall.

Was quite shocked by Iseult's beheading though. Thought she would end up with Uthred after the battle. Even in a TV show, there's something about a severed head that I find quite disturbing.

It's been a while since I read the earlier books; I am not sure it did happen then. I thought in the books they had children together, but I could be wrong.

Soldato
While this series is good, it isn't better than GOT. It isn't even better than Vikings. Which is a shame because the books are superb.

I must check out the books so.

I never had the time to watch GOT, and while the books are good for me they are too bit too long. There's whole sections I have no interest in. Vikings similarly I just didn't have time to watch Vikings.

Ironically I've watched the first 3 or so Kingdom episodes, was enjoying it, but it kinda slowed down.

Man of Honour
Watched the last two episodes last night. Enjoyed every minute of this series and looking forward to the next. I assume that there will be another?

Back
Top Bottom