US: The Last Kingdom - Yes it's better than Game of Thrones

Man of Honour
I just finished the first series. I'm not sure why it is compared to GoT as it's really nothing like it (aside from the fact that it's not set in the modern day).

It kept my interest long enough to finish the series but I can't really put my finger on why. I can't say I liked any of the characters and not much about the plot really did it for me either. I increasingly got the impression that the characters in the books were probably much more fleshed-out and as a result I'd care more about them and the plot - which wouldn't be a shocking thing with regards to TV adaptations of books but for once this is a series where I've not read the books first.

I really enjoyed it overall.

Was quite shocked by Iseult's beheading though. Thought she would end up with Uthred after the battle. Even in a TV show, there's something about a severed head that I find quite disturbing.

Did you not think all of her body language and wording suggested that she knew she was going to die? It was blindingly obvious I thought (though clumsily done).

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Just finished this, it did feel a bit rushed in places but over all I and the missus loved it!

Looking forward to season 2! :)

Caporegime
pretty awesome, thoroughly enjoyed it shame the character motivations/trust issues still make as little sense as ever at times.

its like half the characters that the plot revolves around are schizophrenic or something, they aren't level headed like they should be from experience and upbringings they had.

You can't constantly show a character in a certain light and then constantly have them do the opposite of expected for shock value like game of thrones... especially after they have been built up over seasons to be level headed

okay I'm sure there is a large level or paranoia around some characters which makes their judgement a little shakey but some characters who are totally secure in the show pretty much without any real rival do the most bizarre things.

one of the new characters in the show is brilliant though would love to see him in his own spin off, won't name names but I'm sure everyone will figure out eventually who I'm referring to.

Associate
Just finished season one of this. Very much enjoyed it. It's been on my radar for a while but never got around to starting it. First couple of episode were a bit meh, but after that it was fantastic.

I've read the first three or four books by Bernard Cornwall,...

Uhtred changed sides constantly, which frustrated me. Am I remembering this wrong (I am terrible at remembering books for some reason!) or is the tv show a little different?

Gonna start season two now :)

Caporegime
Just started watching this, it’s ok certainly no GOT killer imo. I’m only half way through season 1 mind so will re-evaluate after binging it.
it started a bit meh and low budget but imo it became much better than vikings ever was and the production values of the last season were pretty high.
I think vikings is a better comparison than GOT
I don't know how much netflix spent but the bbc only invested 10 million for season 1, wasn't that likes GOT's spending per episode

jcr

jcr

Associate
i like the show but the ridiculous broadsword wielding women mowing down the men in battle scenes does spoil the experience a bit.
the books its based on are even better.

Associate
All finished. first half of season four was a bit weak but on the whole, I enjoyed the entire four seasons.

i like the show but the ridiculous broadsword wielding women mowing down the men in battle scenes does spoil the experience a bit.

Not sure what bits you're talking about. There are very few sword wielding women and the two that come to mind are justified; Brida being a viking warrior and Aethelflaed is known in history as a warrior Queen.

Soldato
Finished S4 last night too and generally enjoyed the season.

It seemed a bit odd to me, the seige to lead to the bargaining, then the attack starting with Uhtred and the Dane not being told the attack had started... then the King enters Winchester in a way he could have done so 30 days ago (okay, with less numbers) and now having the upper hand... then still giving the Danes a big chunk of land? With the men of Wessex now inside Winchester, surely the Dane had lost his main bargaining point?

jcr

jcr

Associate
All finished. first half of season four was a bit weak but on the whole, I enjoyed the entire four seasons.

Not sure what bits you're talking about. There are very few sword wielding women and the two that come to mind are justified; Brida being a viking warrior and Aethelflaed is known in history as a warrior Queen.
think youve been watching a bit too much modern tv fella. try reading a history book.

Back
Top Bottom