The Left Handed Build

Associate
OP
lol, no I have my initials & a few numbers with no year prefix on the car.
I think I would be taken my forum persona a little bit to seriously if I went with the Piggin plate

Associate
OP
Unfortunately I have not had a lot of time to play with 'The Left Handed Build' recently.
I have been bizzy @ work with outages & away on holiday.
I have also been learning the art of 'Detailing'

IMG_3867.jpg

Even with all this going on, I have still had some time to play around with my build.

On my previous build, I mounted my DDC pump on blocks of aluminium.

IMAG0120.jpg

As I am going to use a duel DDC top on my pumps, I needed a larger mount.
As these do not exist, I started a little bit of DIY
Purchased a block of aluminium from 'the bay'

IMAG0117.jpg

The block was then drilled to fit two pumps & anti vibration stand offs

IMG_3888.jpg

A slotted along the bottom to give extra cooling with a milling machine

IMG_3890.jpg

The DDC pumps were then fitted to the duel XSPC pump top

IMAG0122.jpg

I then decided the pumps did not look correct. So changed them around & re-braided the cables

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

IMG_3737.jpg

After all that work, I decided the XSPC top did not have the pump inlet in the correct place.
So out came the credit card once more & I purchased this

IMG_3724.jpg

In the box there was the pump top in sexy black to match the rest of the build

IMG_3727.jpg

And a set of mounting brackets, screws etc.

IMG_3726.jpg

Due to the change of tops, the pumps were touching in the middle so the cabling had to be changed once again

IMG_3886.jpg

Now I am happy with the finished item

IMG_3892.jpg

Associate
OP
I like the new pump top. I agree that it matches the rest of the build, but I have got to say that the work you did with the XSPC pump tops looked great in isolation.

I agree, I like the way the cabling turned out on the XSPC top.
The problem was the EK top has different hole centers (closer together).
This means that the pumps had to be turned around & the cables could not stay as they were.
Overall this is not that big a problem as you will see very little cable in the finished build.

Just read all of this... very enjoyable, look forward to the next installment

Thanks TFC, its nice to know that new people are still find my build log & are enjoying it.
Hopefully it will have a happy ending :)

Associate
OP
We haven't seen any updates on here for quite some time now.

Hopefully you haven't lost interest... or have you just been spending too much of your 'free' time with that lovely car you showed us earlier? ;)

Hi Montala, apologies for not replying to you until now but I have not been keeping up with this build log.
In post No.149 I wrote about the problems I was having with my back

Also had my own problems recently having a trapped nerve in my back stopping me from using my right arm

Unfortunately it was not my back but my neck.
On Sunday 18th September my neck went once again.
This time I felt it go (felt like some one put a knife in & twisted).
Since that time I have had an MRI scan & I have been told I have a prolapsed disc @ C6-C7 (lower part of your neck).
This again has put me out of action for many months (no work, driving etc etc) due to the problems with my right arm & the pain medication.

As for the build, the shelf is still going strong with very little change but once things settle down again with my neck I will crack on. (had lots of time to plan :D )

Soldato
Hi Mr Piggin, I am really sorry to hear that you are having further back and neck problems.

They really are a pain (no pun intended!) and being a sufferer myself, albeit nothing to the extent of your current problems, you have my sympathies.

Although the current 'trend' seems to be to encourage the 'patient' to continue moving and walking around as much as possible, rather than just lying on a hard flat bed, that is often easier said than done!

I hope you start to feel better soon though, and feel able to continue with a more 'normal' life again... I am sure that Mrs. Piggin is looking after you well though! :)

Do keep us updated on progress... both on your health, and to a lesser extend on your build, which I am sure you will eventually finish... one day! ;)

Edit: I have just realised that Post No. 149 is over a year old now, so let's hope that 2012 is a better year for you than 2011 was!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi Mr Piggin, I am really sorry to hear that you are having further back and neck problems.

They really are a pain (no pun intended!) and being a sufferer myself, albeit nothing to the extent of your current problems, you have my sympathies.

Although the current 'trend' seems to be to encourage the 'patient' to continue moving and walking around as much as possible, rather than just lying on a hard flat bed, that is often easier said than done!

I hope you start to feel better soon though, and feel able to continue with a more 'normal' life again... I am sure that Mrs. Piggin is looking after you well though! :)

Do keep us updated on progress... both on your health, and to a lesser extend on your build, which I am sure you will eventually finish... one day! ;)

Edit: I have just realised that Post No. 149 is over a year old now, so let's hope that 2012 is a better year for you than 2011 was!

Thanks Montala for your concern.

It looks like 2012 is going to be a better year.
The swelling of the disk in my neck has gone down & my right arm has improved a lot.
So much so, that I have started back to work again. :)

Hoping to start work on the case again very soon & I have been given the green light by Mrs Piggin for further upgrades to the hardware.
So 2012 is a good year, health improving & looking forward to new Ivy bridge rig + new graphics cards. :D

So watch this space, as the story of 'The Left Handed Build' continues

Associate
Thanks Montala for your concern.

It looks like 2012 is going to be a better year.
The swelling of the disk in my neck has gone down & my right arm has improved a lot.
So much so, that I have started back to work again. :)

Hoping to start work on the case again very soon & I have been given the green light by Mrs Piggin for further upgrades to the hardware.
So 2012 is a good year, health improving & looking forward to new Ivy bridge rig + new graphics cards. :D

So watch this space, as the story of 'The Left Handed Build' continues

glad to here :).. looking forward to the updates :)

Associate
OP
As you can see, my build log has not been updated for some time now.
This has mainly been due to me having a prolapsed disc @ C6-C7 (lower part of your neck).
Now things are getting better, so the build goes on. :)

Having built a custom cooling block for my twin DDC pumps. I wanted to make sure that vibration was at a minimum.
I started by mounting the block on rubber isolation pads.

IMG_0792.jpg

The pumps can then be mounted onto the block with its fittings.

IMG_0794.jpg

The pump if then going to be mounted in the bottom of the case on a centre divider between the rads.

IMG_0796.jpg

The pump was positioned & screws were used to mount the rubber isolation pads from underneath.

IMG_0798.jpg

Mounting the block in this way, will minimise vibration and create a small air gap.

IMG_0800.jpg

More rubber isolation blocks were fitted into the lower section of the case.
The frame was drilled & holes tapped for the blocks to screw into

IMG_0790.jpg

The centre divider was then mounted in the lower section of the case on more rubber isolation blocks.

IMG_0803.jpg

This in turn creates a small gap between the floor & the centre divider.

IMG_0806.jpg

One of the rads was then put into position & a selection of fittings used to keep the pipe runs neat.

IMG_0807.jpg

The spacer on the top right rad was a little long. This problem was overcome by a little machining ;)

IMG_0809.jpg

More fittings were used to link up the second rad

IMG_0811.jpg

Back
Top Bottom