The Lion King (live action WD)

Caporegime
Yeah that looks like someone has just randomly overdubbed some CGI animals running around.
Sadly too much emphasis on realism at the expense of the rest.

None of these things are my thing though.

Soldato
Just come out of the cinema.
Thoughts:- it was good but something was lacking, that little spark of greatness.
It was a very faithful retelling of the animation, perhaps too faithful; unlike the recent Aladdin film it added nothing new other than very pretty visuals.

The real looking animals struggled to convey character and emotion very well. Also I found that the female lions, and the hyenas were each very indistinguishable.

Also strangely the biggest let down for me was the sound, I found it very lacking. Maybe it was just a problem with the particular cinema screen; it felt very flat, hardly any surround sound, all very centered not enveloping. I would have expected subtle ambient animal/insect sounds and echoes to add depth but there didn't seem to be any, also sadly the music didn't carry much energy because of it.

As good as Chiwetel Ejiofior is, he doesn't compare to Jeremy Irons.

Zazu, Timon and Pumbaa were good.

Visually beautiful.

Soldato
Watched it last night, I thought it was fine, I enjoyed it but nothing to write home about. Some of the animals were a little 'off' but those were my only real complaints. The songs were good but we knew that going in.

My wife really enjoyed it which is all that matters :D

Caporegime
Bit late but took the kids to watch this. Other than the fact it was almost identical to the original. It was an okay watch. The score alone never gets old. They should have just re released a remastered version however. I remember being blown away by the original stampede but the new one felt underwhelming. Like others have said distinguishing between the hyenas was difficult and the final fight between Scar and Simba seemed a bit of a blur.

Soldato
I've already given a two-line review in the What Film Did You Watch thread (thought it was pretty crap, the animals were creepy as ****, and it was worse in most regards to the original), but as an additional thought: "can you feel the love tonight" playing in the middle of the day was an odd creative choice.

Also, Beyonce as grown up Nala was crap. And agree on the above @adam cool dude comment on the hyenas - could never tell who was who among the male ones.

Back
Top Bottom