The Little Mermaid (05/2023) live-action Disney remake

Mulan is by far the worst of the live action remakes. I’m really not one for this whole “ewww Mary Sue” bandwagon that applies to any female character that exceeds expectations…. But god damn Mulan in that remake :o :o :o

One of my very least favourite films.

It's especially egregious because she's a historical figure that achieved so much back when women didn't do pretty much anything. But they decided she did all these things because she's "Magic!" :rolleyes:

well im appalled they didnt make her a 6 foot 6 fat bearded white man....

I ll never see myself represented in a Disney film. Its insufferably racist and sexist.

(Quasimodo or the Beast doesn't count)

Is videos with swearing allowed to be posted up ere now ?
:confused:
Read the sticky about it, a few swear words is more likely than not considered okay.

likely depends on how woke the mod is that sees it though
Linking to a Youtube video with swearing:
We're trying to be more flexible, whilst we'd rather you didn't link to a site or a video with swearing, if there is some depending on how blatant and frequent it is we will either a) leave it b) delete the link. Worst case scenario will be if the content is deemed unacceptable or the post is purposefully trying to circumvent the swear filter; either to make a point or be funny or just that the poster did not take time to check how suitable the link is. In this case action may be taken.

It may not necessarily end in a suspension or an infraction. e.g. if there are a handful of swear words in a 30 min video it is unlikely that we are going to bother doing anything about it. If it is a page littered with profanity, and does not add value to the discussion or thread then it will be removed - any further action will be discussed.

Even PG movies can have the S word, and 12 rated movies can have really bad words

Why would a mermaid have that colour skin pigmentation when the ocean filters/reflects the UV rays of the sun

I know the film will be garbage, but I don't really agree with these takes.

It's a film about a person with half the body of a fish - so we're already suspending our disbelief. Bringing science to "justify" why people don't like seeing POC in a film with no scientific basis is a bad faith argument IMO.

Must say if any Disney flick needs a remake, it’s this one. The original is absolutely appalling with its messaging for young girls - being serious here :p

Basically, all that matters is you’re beautiful - **** being happy with your lot, just go max for broke on a fantasy. You’ll never have the body proportions of Ariel, but never mind just keep focussing on your beauty. In fact, you don’t even need to speak to find your true love! :o

That's actually what I loved so much about Moana. There was no love story or prince charming tacked in. Just a young girl trying to save her family/Island.
The little mermaid was one of, if not the least of, my favourite Disney films growing up so it wont be for me but I'm sure my daughter will like it.

All the live-action films, I've seen so far, have been rubbish. The Jungle Book and Lion King are two of my favourite Disney films yet the live action films sucked all the fun out of them - Lion King especially.

Bringing science to "justify" why people don't like seeing POC in a film with no scientific basis is a bad faith argument IMO.

Rather than "don't like seeing POC" I would suggest that it's that people don't like seeing a mermaid, which has been traditionally drawn in books for hundreds of years with a "white" skin tone and then animated in massively popular film, yet again with a "white" skin colour, being re-imagined to a different skin colour.

As many people have said, had this been the story of Ariel's sister instead, who happened to a POC rather than race-changing Ariel, I doubt they would've been anywhere near the "outrage", but that isn't what's happened and I genuinely feel sorry for the talented singer/actress playing the new Ariel whose been subject to abuse from some genuine racists on the web (there's always some) with seemingly little real support for her mental health from Disney.

Rather than "don't like seeing POC" I would suggest that it's that people don't like seeing a mermaid, which has been traditionally drawn in books for hundreds of years with a "white" skin tone and then animated in massively popular film, yet again with a "white" skin colour, being re-imagined to a different skin colour.

As many people have said, had this been the story of Ariel's sister instead, who happened to a POC rather than race-changing Ariel, I doubt they would've been anywhere near the "outrage", but that isn't what's happened and I genuinely feel sorry for the talented singer/actress playing the new Ariel whose been subject to abuse from some genuine racists on the web (there's always some) with seemingly little real support for her mental health from Disney.

Then they should come out and say than that blathering on about the science of skin pigmentation.

That was the specific argument I was referring to.

I was pretty sure the Little Mermaid remake was already out, due around the same time as the Aladdin remake (2019) or the Mulan remake (2020), but obviously I have mis-remembered. I will still watch it for kicks. Beauty and the Beast (2017) is my favourite remake so far though.

Not a remake, but the Disney film I'm looking forwards most to is Disenchanted, the sequel to Enchanted and will star Amy Adams again as Giselle. Due for release on 24.11.2022, unless that has been changed too.

Other remakes I'm looking forwards to, which are confirmed, but no dates as yet:

Lilo & Stitch
Snow White
The Sword in the Stone
Tink (as in Tinker Bell)
Peter Pan and Wendy

I was pretty sure the Little Mermaid remake was already out, due around the same time as the Aladdin remake (2019) or the Mulan remake (2020), but obviously I have mis-remembered. I will still watch it for kicks. Beauty and the Beast (2017) is my favourite remake so far though.

Not a remake, but the Disney film I'm looking forwards most to is Disenchanted, the sequel to Enchanted and will star Amy Adams again as Giselle. Due for release on 24.11.2022, unless that has been changed too.

Other remakes I'm looking forwards to, which are confirmed, but no dates as yet:

Lilo & Stitch
Snow White
The Sword in the Stone
Tink (as in Tinker Bell)
Peter Pan and Wendy

I forgot about Aladdin, that was actually surprisingly good. I've seen The Lion King, Jungle Book and Aladdin and out of all of those, I'd say Aladdin was the least offensive.

Lilo and Sitch could be really good, I hope they make Stich look a bit menacing. The Sword in the Stone could be brilliant too. Don't really care for Peter Pan though

Back
Top Bottom