The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
Is it so alien that someone might actually enjoy the show? It seems less of the average enjoyer forcing themselves to enjoy it, and more of the haters wanting to preach, offended that someone else likes what they don't.

Something that is so objectively **** then yes, it seems very strange to me, but take the amazon/LOTR branding off this and no-one is watching or telling themselves it is good. That's the power of a huge IP, we see the same thing with Marvel stans.

I'm fascinated by the way in which people go through mental gymnastics to defend anything that is patently terrible because of some emotional tie to a brand. I've asked why people think the show is good or enjoyable, and they can't tell me...

I probably should have said "tell themselves it's good" rather than "like it" - because there's obviously no accounting for taste, and if you truly enjoy it then great, but don't tell me this abomination of a TV show which has been so utterly disrespectful to the work of a great man is good TV, because it is objectively not.

Soldato
No, everyone is allowed an opinion, just like you. It doesn’t make what you say right as everyone likes different things.

People are fed up because we know your opinion, you just keep spouting it over and over and over and over again. We get it, you don’t like it. We don’t need telling 400 times that you think it’s ****.

Of course everyone has a right to an opinion, then let's talk about the show and you tell me why you think its good?

Because the only thing any of you ever have to say is "Shut up because I don't like you criticising the show"...

Bring something to the table to counter the criticism.

Last edited:
Soldato
Come on guys!

Tell us why we're wrong! tell us why the show is good!

You can do it! You must have something better to say than whining about criticism right?, we're having some fun meming on the show, it's unintentionally very funny and it's entertaining in it's own way.

So let's hear it!

:)

Associate
No, everyone is allowed an opinion, just like you. It doesn’t make what you say right as everyone likes different things.

People are fed up because we know your opinion, you just keep spouting it over and over and over and over again. We get it, you don’t like it. We don’t need telling 400 times that you think it’s ****.

Come on be fair to the lad, it's only been 285 times so far in this thread :)

Soldato
Come on be fair to the lad, it's only been 285 times so far in this thread :)

True, I've only been right 285 times so far :) , it makes me laugh with someone like Sui, with a grand total of 3 posts in the thread, nothing adding anything of value, is getting all up in his feelings about someone else contributing...why?

So doesn't contribute but everyone else needs to shut up...

:D

Soldato
Just click on their image, and hit ignore. Thread is so much cleaner and you dont have to constantly wade through lazy copy and paste twitter memes nothing to do with the episode.

I actually learned something new the other day, there are actually real people who hate watch content, however pathetic that is, each to their own i guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just click on their image, and hit ignore. Thread is so much cleaner and you dont having to constantly wade through lazy copy and paste twitter memes nothing to do with the episode.

I actually learned something new the other day, there are actually real people who hate watch content, each to their own i guess.

That's good advice, if you like the show then just filter out the people who are enjoying it for the laughs, and everyone is happy...

No need for the constant whining about people criticising the show!

:)

Someone round here needs to really, Really, REALLY get a life.

Maybe I am perverse here, but the more I see the haters and how lame their arguments are, the more I seem to be enjoying ROP.
Somehow their idiocy and childishness is lowering my expectations I guess. See, they do have a value! Even if its minor. :)

Issues around and genuine lore conversations I get, countless memes, grandstanding about their superiority in standards (even if false) etc, not so much.

Soldato
Tell us why we're wrong! tell us why the show is good!
Okay. You're wrong. I'm enjoying it. I've liked the story, the characters and the settings and scenes look great, the production quality is clearly high. (Yes, there are a few things I don't like, the script isn't great for example)
take the amazon/LOTR branding off this and no-one is watching or telling themselves it is good.
You're wrong. I've not seen the movies (well, I might have tried to watch one and didn't like it) and have no interest in the lore. The LOTR branding means absolutely nothing to me. I'm enjoying it.

Soldato
Okay. You're wrong. I'm enjoying it. I've liked the story, the characters and the settings and scenes look great, the production quality is clearly high. (Yes, there are a few things I don't like, the script isn't great for example)

You're wrong. I've not seen the movies (well, I might have tried to watch one and didn't like it) and have no interest in the lore. The LOTR branding means absolutely nothing to me. I'm enjoying it.

Oh that's fine if you're enjoying it, even if it is crap, I'm enjoying it for being crap. It's a shame what they done but at least it is their own story they have wrecked, even if most of it is just straight robbed off Peter Jackson's trilogy. They have tried so hard to look epic and sound epic, with their god-awful attempts at profundity and wisdom, trying to sound like Tolkien, but failing so hard - and that's part of the fun.

I think it's pretty obvious that something with massive branding on it attracts a loyalty and a fan-base, even if in this case this does not apply to you.

Apple, Nvidia, Marvel, Star Wars...

Last edited:
Soldato

Maybe I am perverse here, but the more I see the haters and how lame their arguments are, the more I seem to be enjoying ROP.
Somehow their idiocy and childishness is lowering my expectations I guess. See, they do have a value! Even if its minor. :)

Issues around and genuine lore conversations I get, countless memes, grandstanding about their superiority in standards (even if false) etc, not so much.
Not at all, I don't think you are alone in that either. I do think that the more people bang the drum on something being ****, the more people seem to eulogize said TV show - not just applicable to rop.

Soldato
I'm afraid the less I see of Arondull and Yawnwyn the better, I thought they started off ok, but he's a plank that lacks any charisma whatsoever to feature so prominently, another failed "made up" character. Add these two and the son who can't act onto the Harfoot bonfire of disasters. As for Yawnwyn herself, another boring girl-boss, another total charisma vacuum that's enough to send anyone to sleep. She's the leader because reasons, she's great at fighting because reasons, she never sctually does any healing because reasons...you'd think the "healer" would stay with the "wounded (can't say women anymore obv) and children" to you know heal them...

But no, that would mean she can't be girl-bossing it...and of course she has to save Arondull...because reasons...you can see all this coming a mile off as well...checklist checklist checklist...

Soldato

Again another cowardly personal attack, but nothing of substance to add to anything...and another riff on "Shut and consume"...

;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
True, I've only been right 285 times so far :) , it makes me laugh with someone like Sui, with a grand total of 3 posts in the thread, nothing adding anything of value, is getting all up in his feelings about someone else contributing...why?

So doesn't contribute but everyone else needs to shut up...

Because people like Sui, or me, don't feel like it's a particularly worthwhile place to bother trying to have a vaguely constructive discussion about watching the show now it's actually airing, when the thread is constantly being spammed with your relentless and repetitive negative **** posting, desperately looking for an argument, pretending you want people to discuss good vs bad with someone who had concluded it was crap in January.

Soldato
even if in this case this does not apply to you.
Okay, I guess you're accepting your were wrong then, saying no-one... but I do? If you stated 'most people' it would be harder to argue against :)
even if it is crap
Again, this can only really be 'even if I think it's crap', but then you would sound a little silly... so I guess I see why you say it as you do, stating your opinion as a fact, which it is not.

Soldato
Because people like Sui, or me, don't feel like it's a particularly worthwhile place to bother trying to have a vaguely constructive discussion about watching the show now it's actually airing, when the thread is constantly being spammed with your relentless and repetitive negative **** posting, desperately looking for an argument, pretending you want people to discuss good vs bad with someone who had concluded it was crap in January.
Tell me what is ****-posting exactlky and who made you the arebiter on content?

That's rubbish, you can simply ignore everything you don't want to see and talk about what you like, but as I have shown over and over again, none of you actually wan to do that, you just want other people who disagree with your take on the show to shut up.

I concluded in January that everything I had read and saw pionted to this show being a total disaster and I was proven right, so you're now criticising me and the legions of sceptics in the fan-base for being right?

Soldato
Okay, I guess you're accepting your were wrong then, saying no-one... but I do? If you stated 'most people' it would be harder to argue against :)

Again, this can only really be 'even if I think it's crap', but then you would sound a little silly... so I guess I see why you say it as you do, stating your opinion as a fact, which it is not.

It is a fact, RoP is objectively terrible TV. If you disagree, tell us why?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tell me what is ****-posting exactlky and who made you the arebiter on content?

That's rubbish, you can simply ignore everything you don't want to see and talk about what you like, but as I have shown over and over again, none of you actually wan to do that, you just want other people who disagree with your take on the show to shut up.

I concluded in January that everything I had read and saw pionted to this show being a total disaster and I was proven right, so you're now criticising me and the legions of sceptics in the fan-base for being right?
I'm criticising you for your relentless spamming of garbage in this thread that you (completely transparently) try to pass off as some sort of attempt at honest and constructive dialogue about the show.

That's why hardly anyone bothers to waste their efforts discussing things in this thread, which I'm sure you well know, despite attempts to portray it as nobody having anything to say.

Soldato
I just love how the people with nothing to contribute and nothing to say think they can decide what kind of content can and can't be posted...94 pages in which to make their opinions known but - NOTHING.

Amazing, can't post criticism, can't post memes, can't make fun of D and D 2.0, can't post videos from CC's...

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm criticising you for your relentless spamming of garbage in this thread that you (completely transparently) try to pass off as some sort of attempt at honest and constructive dialogue about the show.

That's why hardly anyone bothers to waste their efforts discussing things in this thread, which I'm sure you well know, despite attempts to portray it as nobody having anything to say.

Tell me what's "garbage" about it? If I'm talking rubbish, then it should be very easy to rebutt my criticisms right?

What have you ever contributed?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom