The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Caporegime
Not watched any of this yet.
But such is the disappointment of house of the dragon.. I'm thinking of picking this up ahead of time.

Without spoilers.. Is it any good?

I'm not really bothered about some of the hardcore fan criticism FYI

It is ok. Visually it is brilliant. Story/script wise, it is average ( and a bit stupid in places)

Soldato
But such is the disappointment of house of the dragon.. I'm thinking of picking this up ahead of time.

Either watch an episode yourself, or go by peoples opinions that you know align with your own and decide. Asking a forum that has opposing viewpoints on what's good or not is an interesting move :)

Soldato

It's worth watching. It's not going to blow you away or win any awards but it's decent enough that I'm enjoying it. It is a bit silly in parts but it's not as bad as some make it out to be.

In my opinion a solid 6.5-7 out of 10. It's not amazing but it's better than average.

Associate
I've mainly picked up on hardcore "how/why did you change that" as criticism. Which does not bother me.

Just want a well told visually impressive fantasy

The well told is debateable depending on perspective, so that you can make up your own mind on viewing. (But if you really want an opionion on it; mine is this: they messed up the way to have done the series in the first episodes. Instead of a clear story, it was throw it all into cauldron and hope for the best outcome. Needed tightening up, which would have made the story much more clean and consistent.)

The visually impressive is definitely there, unless if you've got a good eye for noticing visual stuff; ie, if you can spot inconsistencies in videos and images easily, then the first few episodes of this series is horrible. There's quite a few things that doesn't sit well for anyone with a good eye. So in those cases, I would suggest you grab a lot of alchohol so you can be a bit bleary eyed so you don't notice as much of the issues as I did. Otherwise, it does look impressive (for a TV show).

:: edit ::
Actually, I've just thought of an alternative way to get past the visual issues, you need a TV that's large enough where your eyes can't see the whole screen. So 55" at 1-2 feet distance, 65"+ at appropriate distances to prevent your eyes from being able to see everything. This can help viewers miss the issues talked about (as you lose perspective on the whole scene where the irregularities become noticeable from having a viewing reference point).

:: further edit ::
Oh, or watch on a really small screen so you can't tell the difference. Forgot about that one. Although I think most people are watching on their tele, so this is unlikely to happen. But an option still.

Last edited:
Soldato
No, it just relies on people taking no notice of the "plot", dialogue, and garbage tier action scenes etc, but instead beeing happy to taken in by some very superficial if "pretty" CGI. The settings they have created have very little depth and believability as a vast lived-in World.

Nothing like Jackson's World at all in fact.

I rewatched the latter two Hobbit movies this week, and they are just terrible, the acting is awful, sets are all CGI as are 90% of the characters. This new TV series is a million times better by comparison, though still a long way behind the LOTR trilogy.

Caporegime
I mean, it’s not bad as such, it’s watchable but that it’s taken four episodes for, it feels anyway, anything major to happen means some may have already given up.

Soldato
The well told is debateable depending on perspective, so that you can make up your own mind on viewing. (But if you really want an opionion on it; mine is this: they messed up the way to have done the series in the first episodes. Instead of a clear story, it was throw it all into cauldron and hope for the best outcome. Needed tightening up, which would have made the story much more clean and consistent.)

The visually impressive is definitely there, unless if you've got a good eye for noticing visual stuff; ie, if you can spot inconsistencies in videos and images easily, then the first few episodes of this series is horrible. There's quite a few things that doesn't sit well for anyone with a good eye. So in those cases, I would suggest you grab a lot of alchohol so you can be a bit bleary eyed so you don't notice as much of the issues as I did. Otherwise, it does look impressive (for a TV show).

:: edit ::
Actually, I've just thought of an alternative way to get past the visual issues, you need a TV that's large enough where your eyes can't see the whole screen. So 55" at 1-2 feet distance, 65"+ at appropriate distances to prevent your eyes from being able to see everything. This can help viewers miss the issues talked about (as you lose perspective on the whole scene where the irregularities become noticeable from having a viewing reference point).

:: further edit ::
Oh, or watch on a really small screen so you can't tell the difference. Forgot about that one. Although I think most people are watching on their tele, so this is unlikely to happen. But an option still.

It's not the visual image per se that is the problem, it is that the amazon's flat rendition of ME lacks any depth, scale, or believability as living, breathing World. Example: in The Prancing Pony, you could believe you were there as an onlooker, if felt real and alive, in RoP everything feels like a stage set.

Soldato
Had me in stitches in only a few mins.

"Way too good for the material way too poo for the material" lol

Pretty much what everyone been saying.

Poor fan fiction were no understanding of Tolkien work.

Last edited:
Don
I'm enjoying it a lot too. The latest episode cleared all of the "too clean" feeling with the battle scenes too. Yes it's been a slow burning builder series, but I'd rather some actual character building and learning the lore rather than straight into action (for example between Elrond and Durin)

Associate
I'm enjoying it a lot too. The latest episode cleared all of the "too clean" feeling with the battle scenes too. Yes it's been a slow burning builder series, but I'd rather some actual character building and learning the lore rather than straight into action (for example between Elrond and Durin)
Yes i am starting to like it its starts to getting good

Soldato
Galadriel remains the worst part of the show, nice to have some action although it was a little too "TV-action" for a show that cost so much. I don't hate it I just think it's overreaching and underperforming.

Back
Top Bottom