The Man-Cave

Associate
Just going through a massive task of rebuilding mine, due to it being plonked straight concrete. Water under base etc.

While doing this I changed the bearers to a stronger C24 4x4 laminated subframe frame, this has allowed 50mm of Celotex in the floor. Above that will be a VCL and then T&G 28mm floor.

The cabin is 44mm and hoping it will be fairly good at retaining heat.

Just wondered how the 44mm is at holding heat? We are looking to build in coming months and want it as warm as possible in winter. Does the 44mm need insulation also? interested what you said about the flooring too as we have thought could just drop ontop of concrete base?

thanks

Associate
Just wondered how the 44mm is at holding heat? We are looking to build in coming months and want it as warm as possible in winter. Does the 44mm need insulation also? interested what you said about the flooring too as we have thought could just drop ontop of concrete base?

thanks

Hi,

I work in my cabin so I keep active and so far find it warm enough, in the process of putting sonic gold laminate underlay and laminate flooring in.

I currently use just a 1. 5kw oil radiator and switch it on for an hour or so before going in there. It warms nicely enough for working which I'm stood up moving around a fair bit.

There is nothing wrong with concrete as base if you have it but if Its its not the exact size as base or 10mm shorter all round water will get under base.

I used 65mm paving blocks and a 4x2 wood sub frame on the concrete to raise whole cabin up so constant airflow underfloor and the beauty of this is water runs off cabin onto concrete but no where near flooring and it drys out.

I think If I was to start again I use a wooden subframe on blocks cemented into ground like a pier system.

I'm down south and it's been fairly mild again so far so I don't think wall insulation is needed for me, others may have different views.

What will you use your cabin for?

Associate
What a great project OP, thanks for the share. :)

But it does remind me of this film! lol

40_year_old_virgin_1.jpg

Soldato
OP
Smogs, do you still have this amazing man cave? Any new pics of how it is these days...I remember following this thread, desperately jealous how cool it was.
So I moved, and didn't have room for it so moved it to storage. to be reused again once I move again with space

Back
Top Bottom