The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Postie's been!

creams.jpg

(even though my skin isn't prone to nicks and cuts, the CF cream gets good reviews over at B&B so I thought I'd try it)

*ponders* which to use first *ponders*

I've got a Feather Artist Club SS which is similar and I love it. With Pro or Pro Guard blades it's great. I fancied stright razor shaving, but couldn't face honing and stropping, so this was the next best thing.

http://www.traditionalshaving.com/products/Feather-Artist-Club-SS.html?setCurrencyId=5

Looks like a good choice. Its a shame the handles, even on the DX models look kind of cheap. I'd like a plain stainless steel one ideally.

Out of interest, how the hell do you buy anything on that site?? There's no 'add to basket' or similar... :S

Last edited:
Hey guys, I want to throw my Gillette away, stop being a kid and start shaving like a man.

So, what do I need to get started? From what I've read, I think I need:

Some sort of badger hair shaving brush
Shaving cream (not sure what to look for)
A double edged safety razor - a Merkur?

Anything else? Any recommendations for a particular brush and a particular type of cream?

Thanks

Hey guys, I want to throw my Gillette away, stop being a kid and start shaving like a man.

Anything else? Any recommendations for a particular brush and a particular type of cream?

Thanks

This has been answered loads of times throughout the thread but I appreciate it's difficult trawling through all these posts as there are so many now. Maybe the OP should change their post and answer these regular questions :)

I'll help though, by recommending some of the more popular products in this thread:
Some sort of badger hair shaving brush...
First brush? - keep it cheap to start.
TOBSis a no-brainer
Or a gift set maybe? TOBS soap is good
Merkur 34C or the
Edwin Jagger are both beginner favs in here.
You will also want a trial pack of razors to see which you prefer.
I'd also get a drip stand for your brush and/or razor.

HTH

Last edited:

Thanks
Heres what I got as a birthday present, all products that were recommended here.

Razor - Edwin Jagger DE89

http://www.shaving-shack.com/edwin-jagger-double-edge-razor-de89_plus-5-derby-de-blades.html

Brush

http://www.shaving-shack.com/progress-vulfix-660_pure-badger-shaving-brush.html

Shaving Creme

http://www.shaving-shack.com/taylor-of-old-bond-st-shaving-cream-almond-150g.html

Whichever free gift from shaving shack you fancy, blades are a good idea.

Then the Sample pack from Connaught shaving Captain Planet has linked.

Blades and cremes are much a muchness it's mostly down to personal preference.

On to blades after my second shave with the Feathers I find they seem to dull very quickly, felt like it was tugging and I got a very small patch of minor irritation. So I'm going to try the Astra Superior Platinum in the morning and see what they are like.

Well I think I have put of posting in here for around a year but its getting bad so need to do somthing.

I used to shave with a Mach 3 but it would irritate my face causing rash etc and small spots.

I then bought s electric razor and it was ok, I replaced a few years ago with a electric Braun 390cc and this has been good until more recently where I think my face and stubble is just growing used to it. I get s great shave if I leave shaving for the weekend but daily it's starting to irritate even with a new shaving head..

So sensitive skin, newbie, please spec me a razor, lather, brush, and I would buy the sample blades?

Cheers

Ross

Well I think I have put of posting in here for around a year but its getting bad so need to do somthing.

I used to shave with a Mach 3 but it would irritate my face causing rash etc and small spots.

I then bought s electric razor and it was ok, I replaced a few years ago with a electric Braun 390cc and this has been good until more recently where I think my face and stubble is just growing used to it. I get s great shave if I leave shaving for the weekend but daily it's starting to irritate even with a new shaving head..

So sensitive skin, newbie, please spec me a razor, lather, brush, and I would buy the sample blades?

Cheers

Ross

Everything you need is linked in the 2 posts above. I suffered terrible rash on my neck using a Gillette fusion and I've had none since using the above setup. Using the 3 pass method.

Lather
Shave with the grain
Lather
Shave across the grain
Lather
Shave against the grain.

I've had my Edwin Jagger for a few months now, I'm generally doing two passes at the moment (one with and one across) Every time I try to do the third against the grain I cannot avoid cuts on my neck, I've tried watching guides on YT etc but just can't seem to get it right :(

Even one pass with my cheap Wilkinson Sword razor gives a better shave than a disposable so are three passes really necessary?

Just bought a Merkur 34c so looking forward to trying it out. Sample pack of blades and some TOBS shaving cream next I think!

Even one pass with my cheap Wilkinson Sword razor gives a better shave than a disposable so are three passes really necessary?

Just bought a Merkur 34c so looking forward to trying it out. Sample pack of blades and some TOBS shaving cream next I think!

Gillette & WS cartridge razors usually have 3,4 or even 5 blades, albeit not very sharp blades. They cut, and cut again so deep they often push the hair under the skin = ingrowing hairs and razor burn. DE blades are sharper and cut much cleaner but you need 2 or 3 passes to get it smooth (with grain, across grain and against grain). Gently gently does it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom