The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
looking to try some different blades again and i have sensitive skin.

tryed ascos tryed feathers........tryed normal wilkinson ones..........

Anything else? pref some thing off the bay............

Oh and i also use taylors shaving cream

Cheers for that, ill really overload the brush next time and not be shy about it, it was the last way of trying it, as I tried less with a dab more water last time, so ill go to the other extreme.

Maybe its just a question of time and going through all the blade, ill start doing that and try a new one from the packet each shave.

Also, just decided, I get a drying tightness on the skin after, so going to order the Proraso Ultra-Sensitive Shaving Cream Jar, and Proraso Pre and Post Shave Cream for Ultra Sensitive Skin, as I do have light fair skin, but theirs no way to know how much of a difference it could make without trying them out.

Might order a better brush and see if that helps.....not sure what a decent one is..theirs hundreds to choose from!

Damn, was wanting to order from Shaving shack..but by god they have nothing in stock.

If you're just starting out with DE I'd probably work through each of the assorted blades once, then work through them again. You might get back to the first ones and find they are actually more suited to you once you improve your shaving method.

As for more expensive brush, I wouldn't yet. I use a £15 brush and it does the job fine, I don't think paying 5x that price will get you 5x return in performance if you get me. Just the fact you're using a badger hair brush, over a can of gunk slapped on your face, is infinitely better. Always use a post shave balm however. I balm then I will moisturise 10mins later.

looking to try some different blades again and i have sensitive skin.

tryed ascos tryed feathers........tryed normal wilkinson ones..........

Anything else? pref some thing off the bay............

Oh and i also use taylors shaving cream

Feek really likes the Personna blades. Maybe give them a try? Derbys get good reviews as do Gillette 7'o'clocks.

eBay item 200879635864 is for 100 x Astra SP @ £8 delivered.

Astra SP blades are a fine product and many people swear by them. I found them to be OK in my 39C although as Captain Planet says, I get on very well with the Personna Med Preps in all three of my razors - They're not cheap at just slightly less than Feather blades but I get a much smoother shave than with anything else I've tried.

Derbys get more bad press than good press and I've never had a bad lather using ToBS cream.

Last edited:
Today I received a few quid into my Paypal account. Not a huge amount, not life changing or anything like that.

What to buy? Another couple of hundred Med Preps or pick up some more tubs of ToBS cream, perhaps ones that I've not used before? :)

I'm not a great one for samples so I just went for it.

ordered.jpg

However I did add one sample to take me over into free postage :)

This is what i think of the soaps, soap sticks and creams i've tried. I've sold on all except the ones in bold, which are my favourites (the bold creams are just ones i can use).

i'm allergic to something in TOBS creams unfortunately :(

Soap

Proraso Menthol (Green) -- Nice Lather, Menthol kick, very nice in hot weather, average scent
Proraso Green Tea & Oat (White) -- not as nice lather as green, less menthol, average scent
Mitchell's Wool Fat -- Excellent Slick Lather, face feels great after shave - Soapy scent
VITOS Super Extra Coconut -- Excellent Slick Lather, face feels great after shave - Almond scent
TOBS Jermyn Street -- Nice Lather - awesome scent
TOBS Sandalwood -- Nice Lather, old man scent, not keen on smell
Cella -- Excellent Lather, pretty much identical to VITOS, VITOS lather slightly better - Almond Scent
Trumpers Coconut -- average lather, mild coconut scent

Soap Sticks

Lea (Lanolin) -- Excellent Slick Lather, slightly better than all other sticks, face feels great after shave - Mild Lemon soapy scent
Tabac -- Excellent Lather - Strange scent
Palmolive -- Excellent Lather - soapy scent
Valobra -- Excellent Lather - non offensive scent
Speick -- Excellent Lather - Strange scent
Boots --Excellent lather, not bad scent, slightly tingling - irritation maybe
La Toja -- Excellent Lather - Strange scent

Cream

TOBS Jermyn Street -- Nice lather and scent - burning sensation, red and blotchy aftershave - avoid TOBS creams
TOBS Coconut -- Nice lather and scent - burning sensation, red and blotchy aftershave - avoid TOBS creams
TOBS Eton College -- Nice lather and scent, cologne cent not as nice as jermyn st - burning sensation, red and blotchy aftershave - avoid TOBS creams
Palmolive -- mild soapy scent, ok lather - doesn’t burn my face
Proraso Blue -- mild scent, ok lather - doesn’t burn my face

Last edited:
Just had the best shave so far using the Proraso light version, much nicer for me to use skin didn't feel as dried out, hopefully will see less redness blochness reaction to this one, and have got a better lather going from soap loaded brush straight to face over using the bowl.

Also using the Lord blade this time.

Question though, say just after the shave, I go over with the Alum bar, what is best to come next to help cool the skin or moisturise it?

Question though, say just after the shave, I go over with the Alum bar, what is best to come next to help cool the skin or moisturise it?

i'd say lots of water to get rid of the Alum, then witch hazel, balm or splash.

I only use Alum as a deodorant sometimes, it drys my face out way too much to use.

i use Proraso menthol post cream then either use Proraso Splash or Speick Splash (both are good face healers, both smell ok too)

cu3ed, I quite liked those Lord blades, they were very smooth but just a little dull. I got one good shave out of them but they started tugging on a second shave.

When I first started with this proper shaving, I would rub an alum block over my whole face after each shave but even after giving it a good rinse off, it was still really drying my skin out so I stopped using it very quickly. I don't think it's needed unless you nick yourself.

The ToBS aftershave gels seem to be nicely moisturising and I've also got a bottle of Trumper Extract of Limes skin food which does a good job and with such a small blob needed, it's going to last for ages!

After a bit of reading through this thread I've ordered some stuff from Shaving-Shack to give manly shaving a whirl.

Went with what seems to be most peoples starting point in this:

-Edwin Jagger DE89 w/Free Derby Blades
-Proraso Shaving Cream Jar 150ml
-Vulfix 660 Pure Badger Hair Brush
-Gillette 7 O'Clock Blades (Free Gift)
-Blue Beard Post Shave Balm Sample (Added to qualify for free postage)

Just need a sample pack of blades now. I already have a big bottle of Nivea post shave balm from the supermarket which I quite like. I'll report back after everything arrives :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom