The Matrix 4

Man of Honour
Independent loved it, Guardian didn't. Hhhhmmm, I am going on with low expectations anyway.

Hate to say it but compare the authors of those articles - it probably shines a light on the movie neither of those articles could.

Peter Bradshaw https://twitter.com/PeterBradshaw1

Clarisse Loughrey https://twitter.com/clarisselou

Peter being older and less easily impressed and probably hankering for the kind of impact the first movie had is probably being overly harsh while the Clarisse being younger is probably more easily impressed and has seemingly bought into the whole "woke" culture and seems to instantly push the score up for anything which ticks those boxes.

V F

V F

Soldato
Oh quelle surprise it looks like it's **** then?

Hollywood really is a joke, completely bereft of ideas and creativity, and they wonder why no-on wants to go to the cinema any more.

What I despise is how they always bring in Internet slang to films these days trying so hard to be hip. I want to be entertained with a great story. Not to see real life crap in films that is relatable to real life. Films are supposed to be a fantasy of great story telling for 2 hours, am I right?

Yet I happened to come across this earlier in the year and it still stands.

"We need more guys like this in Hollywood. I'm Nigerian and I love Batman and the Flash to death. I don't need a Nigerian Batman to see myself in the character or love the character. I actually love the diversity of stories that can be told from different cultures and points of view other than my own. Its intriguing."

Man of Honour
I dunno about 99% - but far far too many of the movies released in the last 5 years that I've watched have been garbage or sent me to sleep. That or ruined by trying to shoehorn in current social, etc. issues/agendas which don't fit the context at all.

EDIT: It is a bit of a strange one in some ways - some movies I've quite enjoyed or at least enjoyed watching most of it but at the same time would still class them as garbage such as for example Bad Boys for Life or some of the newer Purge movies.

Soldato
I read a review that made it seem like the whole thing was very postmodern/deconstructionalist about the series itself, which is usually a death sentence because that school of thought involves picking things apart and critiquing them, but by design not being able to create anything new from the remains, it's just criticism all the way down. I'll read some more non-critic reviews first though since I'm a firm believer in the 'RT Ratio'.

Man of Honour
Not 99% but I am very selective about what I go to see now. I avoid anything that looks like it has a social agenda and usually wait until I've seen a few reviews before I spend my money to see it. I'm hearing very mixed things about Matrix 4 now, which is a bit concerning although not a surprise. I'll still almost certainly see this one in the new year because of its history although I'm starting to temper my expectations.

It's also getting very expensive to see films. I took my daughter to watch House of Gucci (which I loved) and even though it's only a small local cinema the two tickets were about £35 and then I spent another £30 on food and drink. It's starting to get hard to justify £65 a film unless it's a great film. I'll just rent it or buy it when it comes out at home instead.

Soldato
I'd say closer to 90% are garbage for myself and I rarely finish watching most of them.

In fact, for me at least, if it wasn't for streaming I'd have never spent my money seeing the vast majority of the films I streamed in the cinema instead. It's the one big advantage of streaming for me, I don't have to spend £10+ for a ticket, then find parking, get annoyed by the chav's who infest the cinema who spend most of the film on their phones etc just to find out that the film is crap - even those "Cine-cards" (£XX for unlimited cinema viewing per month) don't come close because the slim advantages of watching films at the cinema (big screen/sound) can't overcome the increasing more numerous disadvantages (bad films, cost, other people etc).

However something like Dune I found worth it so it's not all negative.

Soldato
Quick poll.

Who thinks that 99 out of the last 100 movies they have watched, that have been released in the last 5 years, have been "garbage"

I'm not sure I'd say garbage, although none are a patch on movies from the 80s and 90s.

That said, 100% of the ones I have watched over the past few weeks have been utter crap!

Unfortunately the same is true for TV shows. The main thing missing is character development.

Soldato
While 80's and 90's had some excellent films, there was a sea of utter rubbish along with it, it's just easy to cherry pick the great stuff with rose tinted specs.

I say this as someone who's favourite films are mainly from the 80's/90's but to say all was great in those decades simply isn't true. There is a massive nostalgia element and even a formative years aspect to it for a lot of us in our 40's/50's as this was when most of our movie discovery took place.

I have no doubt the current teens in 30 years will he harping on how movies aren't as great in the 2050's as they were in the 2010's/20's :D

Soldato
It depends a bit on how you're defining things really - IMDB lists 12,285 films released in 2021.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if only 123 of those met the 'not garbage' standard for most people :p

Caporegime
4/10 or less.... very meh..

Was wondering if the casting and acting was supposed to be so cheesy and lame so we know it's in the matrix and they are like bots :p guess not.....

new agents lame, new morpheus = lame....

feels like a reboot without the original cast gone wrong than a sequel....

also modern cinematography is just crap, too clean, to over polished, too computerised, too overly post processed etc.

may as well go full CGI already, it's like they have filter running on the camera like women would do for twitter or whatever..

I have no doubt the current teens in 30 years will he harping on how movies aren't as great in the 2050's as they were in the 2010's/20's :D
doubt it even young people(current twitch generation) seem to think 2010 was the great decline for cinema ,gaming and music

Soldato
doubt it even young people(current twitch generation) seem to think 2010 was the great decline for cinema ,gaming and music

I was being mostly flippant, I think there is a natural preference to the movies/music/games you discover in your formative years over what comes later in life. Also as you get older there is a massive element of 'seen all this before', it's quite hard to discover movies these days for myself that feel unique.

Also most likely in 30 years the whole way media is digested will be very different to what we have now.

Associate
Oh dear.

Kind of liked the first half, bit of tension, seems like it could be a bit of the Matrix plus Inception like layers of reality etc.

Then we get to the real world and we are unfortunately back in a typical Matrix sequel with a big fat clunk , overly complicated explanations with vast amounts of exposition , philosophical mumbo jumbo , painfully elabarate haircuts , set pieces with far too much going on and now new added cutesy friendly machines ( they can **** right off with those) .

So yeah, looks amazing, but isnt.

6/10 for 1st half, 3/10 for rest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom