The MEG (2018)

Soldato

IT'S HAPPENING!
I've been waiting years for this to arrive as I've long been a massive fan of Steve Alten's books as well as being fascinated by deep sea exploration since I was a child.

The story is about Carcharodon Megalodon - the bigger, older cousin of the Great White, which was pretty much THE apex predator of the it's era. The books tell us of a 'Meg' that is discovered whilst exploring Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. Through various circumstances, the big beastie arises from the depths and terrorises everything with a heartbeat. This thing was some 70ft long and weighed in at 60,000lbs.

Looking at the cast, they've mostly retained key characters so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Last edited:
Soldato
:-/
halfway through the trailer it looked like they turned the reins over to Michael Bay. will give it a watch as and when it's at a sensible price but at the mo it looks like a good concept that had everything including the kitchen sink hoyed into it. seem to have missed the simple concepts that made Lake Placid such a stormer.

Soldato
Yet another "Great Book ruined by a Hollywood Film" to go along-side all the rest. I really can't understand why movie studios buy the rights to a best selling novel (i.e. people really like this book) and then decide "all those people were wrong, we can make it better!" when they KNOW that it 99% of the time will be a disaster.

I loved the original books so seeing this turned into another "World War Z" type of film (keep the book title and the title character but change the rest) is very disappointing.

Associate
I've long been a massive fan of Steve Alten's books as well as being fascinated by deep sea exploration since I was a child.

Greig Beck's Fathomless is worth a read if you enjoyed that. Not read Steve Alten (just added to my reading list) but the two books sound very similar!!

Edit: For some reason you can only pre-order Fathomless on Amazon - it was published in 2016!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Greig Beck's Fathomless is worth a read if you enjoyed that. Not read Steve Alten (just added to my reading list) but the two books sound very similar!!

Edit: For some reason you can only pre-order Fathomless on Amazon - it was published in 2016!!
Thank you for the heads up mate. That book had turned up on my kindle recommended list quite a few times but I'd ignored it. It definitely does sound very familiar! I've added it to my wish list now until I finish reading The Black by Paul E. Cooley. I'm not too happy that Steve Alten has decided to make his latest Meg book only available from his US website - He's got no chance selling it that way.

Soldato
OP
I am really interested in which of the books the movie follows because if it is the first book, then the ending in the film will be very comical and OTT. I suppose it does cover the back story of Jonas Taylor (Stathams character) and his previous Navy career, that previously took him to the Mariana Trench though. The first book has two Megs, a male and a female. The latter of which eventually gives birth to Angel - the star of the second book. I hope BFI Imax are showing this! :o

Also Bingaling ling = hawt :D

Soldato

If you're going to read Greig Beck then make sure you start with "Under the dark ice". It's fantastic and elements of it are followed up in Fathomless so it'd make sense to read them in that order. Actually, read all the Alex Hunter (the main character) novels first. :) Skip "The First Bird" series though. Terrible series IMO.

Back to the original point,. I'm so stoked for this movie. I've loved "Meg" since I first read it years ago and have been watching Alten's painful slog towards getting it made into a film. It helps that the missus loves Statham to.

Soldato
OP
Yessss! My wife and I are off to BFI Imax today to watch this er beast of a flick. It hasn't received the best of reviews from the few I've seen online but if I'm watching this, it'll be on a huge screen regardless!

Back
Top Bottom