The MEG (2018)

Soldato
I'm baffled that none of you can see that this will be awful.
Its going to be on a par with Battleship!
Isn't the line 'chew on this you ugly son of a' stolen or a nod to Jaws?

Stathem is on a downward trajectory in his career and it will show with the fact this will be a cheese fest. I'm calling it.
1 the dialogue from the trailer is stinker than a brie.
2 it has the guy from the office shoe horned into his typecast role, to try and make it funny.
3 why kill something that is ancient and thought extinct. Has stupid action packed illogical story from the school of going into the dark basement to investigate the noise instead of getting the hell out of there, written all over it. (aka see huge bite marks on glass so I go investigate in tiny sub)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm baffled that none of you can see that this will be awful.
Its going to be on a par with Battleship!
Isn't the line 'chew on this you ugly son of a' stolen or a nod to Jaws?

Stathem is on a downward trajectory in his career and it will show with the fact this will be a cheese fest. I'm calling it.
1 the dialogue from the trailer is stinker than a brie.
2 it has the guy from the office shoe horned into his typecast role, to try and make it funny.
3 why kill something that is ancient and thought extinct. Has stupid action packed illogical story from the school of going into the dark basement to investigate the noise instead of getting the hell out of there, written all over it. (aka see huge bite marks on glass so I go investigate in tiny sub)
you seem to be taking this awfully personally.

Soldato
OP
Anyone thinking this would be a comedic mess like I did couldn't be more wrong. It actually kept a serious tone though most of the film with the one stereotype character trying to lighten the mood. LL Cool J he ain't.

I actually enjoyed it and whilst I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, it was indeed better than I expected. The 3D effects on the big screen were really impressive for the first half of the film before it subsided midway.

For fans of the book, don't even consider the film to be close. It is very watchable though and has most of the characters from the book.

Jason does a commendable job in not punching the Megalodon and the rest of the cast hold the film together well enough.

7.8/10

Edit: wtf, Battleship was superb and hugely enjoyable.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can't wait to see this, I expect it to be bad but in a good way, I don't expect perfect writing or a perfect well written movie, I expect a dumb ass shark film.

If it does that am happy.

Soldato
Yet another "Great Book ruined by a Hollywood Film" to go along-side all the rest. I really can't understand why movie studios buy the rights to a best selling novel (i.e. people really like this book) and then decide "all those people were wrong, we can make it better!" when they KNOW that it 99% of the time will be a disaster.

I loved the original books so seeing this turned into another "World War Z" type of film (keep the book title and the title character but change the rest) is very disappointing.

I wasn't wrong when I said this in April but having just seen it I'd say this slips into the "so bad its good" category for me, like Sharknado etc.

Soldato
It was pretty good.

We all enjoyed it.

Is it in the same league as Jaws? Absolutely no. but it didnt intend to be either.

I would watch a sequel if the promising box office numbers trigger a ROI for Warner Bros.

Man of Honour
Completely agree with the comments about the child - very cute and not at all annoying. There was this moment she gave a goofy grin that was genuinely very funny.

A very enjoyable watch - lots of laughs. Could perhaps have done with trimming some of the drama in the latter portions because let’s face it we were all in it for the omnomnom.

Soldato
Just got back from watching it and although it was definitely no Jaws it certainly wasn't as bad as Sharknado, I'd say it's on a par with Deep Blue Sea which it had a lot of similarities to, I quite enjoyed it and it certainly wasn't quite the mess I thought it may have turned out to be.

The bit where Jase was singing "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming" did make me chuckle

I'd give it a solid 7.5 out of 10.

Back
Top Bottom