**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
Damn it, ive been up to see my folks this week and my mums definitely a feeder, put on 4 to 5 pounds, but apparently the mirtazapine loads the weight also, will have to be careful.
Its supposed to work (copy and paste to follow) by increasing the activity of mood-enhancing chemicals called noradrenaline and serotonin in the brain.
I am quite happy for it to do this but dont want to be above a 34inch waist ever (im 6ft2)

Soldato
I am quite happy for it to do this but dont want to be above a 34inch waist ever (im 6ft2)
That's a very specific boundary to base happiness on, be careful with that.

At the end of the day if you. Are aware of what you eat and your exercise then you'll be able to keep tabs on your weight. Medication doesn't usually make you magically gain weight, it changes the processes or behaviours that affect your weight.

When I was on it I was hungry for chocolate and calory dense food all the time, at one point I was taking a 7 pack of (small) fake mars bars to uni and coming home with only 2 or 3 left each day. But then I was also in my final year of uni, working there til 10pm and stressed as ****, hence the medication. I did hit my peak weight ever at the end of uni but that had been climbing for 4 years+. I dropped about 4-5kg within a year and have shaken off another 5-6 in the few years since.

All medications come with side effects or the risk of side effects, try to weigh up the big picture.

Soldato
The last sentences meaning i will put more effort in rather than ditch the meds, went up.Rough tor yesterday and will get a bodyboard at polzeath today, its been a lifetime thing that i never buy 36 waist trousers.
Back in the day i was on a tricyclic for a while and that was hell on earth these mirtazapine seem ok as said they make you sleep like a log, the dreams are amazing followed.by a morning mellowness (i get an extreme edgyness sometimes)but yeah i can work on the weight, getting off these may be the hardest part eventually

Associate
The last sentences meaning i will put more effort in rather than ditch the meds, went up.Rough tor yesterday and will get a bodyboard at polzeath today, its been a lifetime thing that i never buy 36 waist trousers.
Back in the day i was on a tricyclic for a while and that was hell on earth these mirtazapine seem ok as said they make you sleep like a log, the dreams are amazing followed.by a morning mellowness (i get an extreme edgyness sometimes)but yeah i can work on the weight, getting off these may be the hardest part eventually

wait till you hit 40 :( My 34 wont return.. I am a 35 now...

Soldato
Had a 3rd chat with a Psychiatrist today and I've been diagnosed as moderate Inattentive type ADHD. Get to see about medication in a few weeks what with it being a controlled substence.

Fully off the anti depressants and feel about the same unfortunately. Going to chat with the GP some more I guess. Symptoms line up a bit too easily with Chronic Fatigue :s

Soldato
Had a 3rd chat with a Psychiatrist today and I've been diagnosed as moderate Inattentive type ADHD. Get to see about medication in a few weeks what with it being a controlled substence.

Fully off the anti depressants and feel about the same unfortunately. Going to chat with the GP some more I guess. Symptoms line up a bit too easily with Chronic Fatigue :s
Congrats on making some progress there. It's a difficult puzzle to figure out, and learn to best manage your own mental health.

Everyone's different but I felt a mild leaning towards chronic fatigue - or certainly, having smaller energy reserves than most and needing a disproportionate amount of recovery time in life. ADHD treatment has had a big impact on this (in fact it's the biggest change - my attention span is still poor but now I have more energy to keep trying at things). Good luck :)

Soldato
Hi guys can anybody tell me if Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is conducted by an approved mental health professional or AMHP for short? The reason I ask is a mate of mine is waiting for a therapist. He's got himself in some sort of a mess and it's affecting his mental health. Apparently he can be given some sort of a breathing space for the duration of if his treatment if it is conducted by a AMHP which will help him out. AMHP is some sort of a Government definition.

Soldato
Hi guys can anybody tell me if Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is conducted by an approved mental health professional or AMHP for short? The reason I ask is a mate of mine is waiting for a therapist. He's got himself in some sort of a mess and it's affecting his mental health. Apparently he can be given some sort of a breathing space for the duration of if his treatment if it is conducted by a AMHP which will help him out. AMHP is some sort of a Government definition.
AMHP looks like a certification in its own right rather than something a specific profession requires/carries.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/legal-rights/sectioning/being-assessed/

Soldato
I had the nhs therapy assessment call, got my first session end of this month, doc told me to stay off work until i start it, not sure what to expect, tried cbt with apps but dont have the concentration at the moment.
Ive definitely put mass on with the mirtazapine but as i have infinite free time to exercise it seems to have gone to muscle and still a 34 waist ;) still on 30mg was sort off expecting going to 45mg but hes the doc

Last edited:
Soldato
Anxiety and depression sufferer for over 18 years now. Been on Escitalipram for all that time. Tried coming off but not good.

I guess anxiety is my biggest issue. I worry like mad.

In the process of buying a house and i am so nervous about it all, worrying about money etc etc that i am yet to even look at the paperwork my solicitor sent me!!! Its that bad! She is waiting for me to sign and return the initial documentation.

Soldato
Soldato
I think you're right: They may be: social workers; nurses; occupational therapists; psychologists. Hopefully somebody he is seeing will be able to "point him " in the right direction.
Funnily enough I was pointed at a profile for the psychiatrist handling my ADHD medication today, and saw he has AMHP status. Never saw the term before yesterday.

Capodecina
Soldato
In the process of buying a house and i am so nervous about it all, worrying about money etc etc that i am yet to even look at the paperwork my solicitor sent me!!! Its that bad! She is waiting for me to sign and return the initial documentation.

Just open it. The consequences of not doing so are worse.

I get your problem because I do this too. I don't open letters, emails, so many things. Even Facebook messages. In most cases the longer I leave it, the worse it gets.

Once I had a pile of letters unopened for nearly a year. One of them was a cheque for £800 from the Inland Revenue which had expired.

Soldato
Just open it. The consequences of not doing so are worse.

I get your problem because I do this too. I don't open letters, emails, so many things. Even Facebook messages. In most cases the longer I leave it, the worse it gets.

Once I had a pile of letters unopened for nearly a year. One of them was a cheque for £800 from the Inland Revenue which had expired.

I opened the letter. Signed the documents but not handed them in! Anxiety! Yikes!

Soldato

I can beat that! I had an unopened pile of post that was over a year old once and when i could finally tackle it I found a speeding ticket notification near the start that was asking for the drivers details. Then a bit lower a reminder that I needed to send the driver details. A bit lower a notification that I hadn't sent details and I was summonsed to court. A bit lower and a notification of the court date. Lower still and a notification that since I hadn't attended court I now had 6 points and a £600 fine! :cry:

So I contacted the court to explain I hadn't been aware of the speeding ticket for *reasons* and went into court to make a declaration which wiped the conviction and restarted the process. Unfortunately, I went straight back to not opening the post.....and when I realised a few weeks later, I opened the post and found the new court date was for....the day before, DOH!

So I sat there ******* myself about the brown letter coming through the door with the new conviction, which a few days later a brown envelope turned up....opened it this time.....which was to inform me my court date had been postponed because the prosecution hadn't turned up LOL.....how lucky!

I made sure I went to the new date :p

Capodecina
Soldato
I can beat that! I had an unopened pile of post that was over a year old once and when i could finally tackle it I found a speeding ticket notification near the start that was asking for the drivers details. Then a bit lower a reminder that I needed to send the driver details. A bit lower a notification that I hadn't sent details and I was summonsed to court. A bit lower and a notification of the court date. Lower still and a notification that since I hadn't attended court I now had 6 points and a £600 fine! :cry:

So I contacted the court to explain I hadn't been aware of the speeding ticket for *reasons* and went into court to make a declaration which wiped the conviction and restarted the process. Unfortunately, I went straight back to not opening the post.....and when I realised a few weeks later, I opened the post and found the new court date was for....the day before, DOH!

So I sat there ******* myself about the brown letter coming through the door with the new conviction, which a few days later a brown envelope turned up....opened it this time.....which was to inform me my court date had been postponed because the prosecution hadn't turned up LOL.....how lucky!

I made sure I went to the new date :p

Wow that is worse! I HATE mail. I think the anxiety started as a kid because my parents separated and my dad used to write me lots of letters, but sometimes they were "serious" letters about the marriage problems and I had no interest in reading them. I think it started a long-term process whereby I just don't open letters.

Soldato
Wow that is worse! I HATE mail. I think the anxiety started as a kid because my parents separated and my dad used to write me lots of letters, but sometimes they were "serious" letters about the marriage problems and I had no interest in reading them. I think it started a long-term process whereby I just don't open letters.

I can totally relate to that. Not to do with the mail, but my folks separated when I was very young and unbeknown to me at the time, when we stayed at dads and mum was coming to collect us he used to get my sister and I up an hour earlier, sit us at the kitchen table then just keep telling us over and over that she was late or maybe not coming. The reason being so it would get us really upset and we were therefore a handful for mum I presume.

But all my life whenever someone had arranged to meet up or come round at X time I would get major anxiety as the time approached to the point of climbing the walls if it got to 1 min past! But as soon as I found out in my 30's about the above story it completely explained why it happened.

Amazing isn't it that these innocuous things can have such long lasting effects. I'm in my 50's now and it still affects me, but since I know why now, I'm able to cope with it a lot more.

Soldato
I had a therapy assessment a while ago and the report back stated "I am writing with the outcome of your assessment, which is that we are recommending you are offered Cognitive Behavioural Therapy" and followed up at the end with "you will be contacted by us with more information in due course".

This was over a month ago, so looks like I have to contact them and see what the plan is. Is this normal?

Capodecina
Soldato
I had a therapy assessment a while ago and the report back stated "I am writing with the outcome of your assessment, which is that we are recommending you are offered Cognitive Behavioural Therapy" and followed up at the end with "you will be contacted by us with more information in due course".

This was over a month ago, so looks like I have to contact them and see what the plan is. Is this normal?

I don't know about where you live, but in my cachement area the wait time was around 16 weeks. I would call your referrer and see what the wait time is.

Back
Top Bottom