* The Metal Thread *

Associate
Initially Magma didn't do much for me after the quality of the preceding 3 albums but after seeing them tour it live a couple of years ago I've had a rethink. The songs they played from it sounded great live so I think it's more the production. The opening song was impactful from the start however.

Was the same for me. Really didn't gel with the album on release but saw some of those songs played live and loved it since. I think it's down to the "less is more" approach to the guitar tone on the recording rather than the overall production, for me.

Soldato
Resurrecting and oooooold post here but those songs are great. They take me back to the late 90's, discovering new bands via the Drilling the Vein videos by Roadrunner, when Machine Head were 50% of everything I listened to!
Good times indeed!
Don't suppose back then you remember a program that was for metal, all I recall was a hot blonde European girl lying on a bed playing metal videos

Associate
Good times indeed!
Don't suppose back then you remember a program that was for metal, all I recall was a hot blonde European girl lying on a bed playing metal videos

I don't think I would have left the house if I had discovered a program like that as a teen... :eek:

Road Runner had a hell of a catalogue back in the 90's, those Drilling the Vein vids were great (even Dog Eat Dog lol).

Soldato
I don't think I would have left the house if I had discovered a program like that as a teen... :eek:

Road Runner had a hell of a catalogue back in the 90's, those Drilling the Vein vids were great (even Dog Eat Dog lol).
Oh wow, dog eat dog, they had that one song that would always play back then, I must find it.

Also she was julia valet and the program was called superock on mtv i think, stunning

Soldato
It only feels right I post this. It was this very thread, all those years ago, where I first discovered Cloudkicker. Ben is back with his first new album in a while, and on first listen, its sounding like a real return to form. If you are unfamiliar with Cloudkicker, its instrumental music, in a kind of post rock/metal style made by one man with a day job, Ben Sharp. He plays with distorted and clean layered guitars, odd polyrhythm timings and effects, and adds just a little bit of magic. Some songs are mellow, building layer by layer and some songs are outright heavy. I loved it from first listen.

What's more, he distributes his music as pay what you want, with no minimum, on Bandcamp.

https://cloudkicker.bandcamp.com/

Not bad that, could do with Devin Townsend on vocals though heh

Soldato
Hahaha! Dog Eat Dog, Expect the Unexpected is also fun.

Never saw that show although around a similar time Channel 4 had a gaming show called Bits hosted by three ladies, one of whom really caught the eye.
Oh yes I remember it well, Emily booth, she is a massive metal head, she has been in several cradle of filth videos after that.

And yes, she has

Back
Top Bottom