* The Metal Thread *

Associate
The top two entries were two of my favourite albums this year. Rammstein's Puppe was possibly my favourite track last year, period.

Interesting to see The Hu made the list. Didn't expect Mongolian throat singing would garner so many fans! Their vids are superb. :D

Associate
I'm currently having a look at this list. 50 best metal albums since 2010.

Ok, sincerely, this is not about being kvlt or whatever. I am not kvlt at all, hipster, nothing... I don't want to tell you all about my unlistenable noise albums or disso-black one-man band masterpieces that are better than whatever you like.

However... when I look at lists like these from Metal Hammer, Kerrang!, Rolling Stone and so on (the more commercial side of rock/metal music) I don't see the "best" albums (which is, of course, entirely subjective anyway) I just see the most hyped and or/best selling albums. It's just all the names you'd expect to see there if you asked a random sixth-former with a Nirvana smilie patch sewn on to his record bag. And that was back when I was in sixth-form, round 1999/2000 - the turn of the previous decade! All the same bands - Rammstein, Slipknot, Tool. It's like they're stuck in a time-warp. Or, more likely, the publications grow older but either their readership does too but tastes don't develop/change or they have to appeal to the new generation of teenage metal fans at all times to maintain a readership.

I have a friend that I go to gigs with and whenever there's an old band from 20 or so years ago reforming to top up the pension funds (Pitchshifter a recent example) he's often front of the queue for tickets. The only new stuff he listens to is endless metalcore bands, which again, I consider "for the kids". He's even said that as a 36 year old (same as me) he often feels old because it's full of 16 - 20 year olds. It's like a completely different scene to the metal scene that I follow. I'm not saying it's wrong, or worse. Just weird, for me anyway - how it's the same scene eg: "metal" but at the same time entirely different.

Make sense to anybody else?

Associate
Pitchshifter did a reunion? Had no idea lol.

36 years old here too, and enjoy a wider range of heavy mental compared to 20 years ago but don't seem to get into bands anywhere near as quickly these days (sometimes it'll only be a track or riff that floats my boat and not an entire album, or the vocals suck lol).

Soldato
Ok, sincerely, this is not about being kvlt or whatever. I am not kvlt at all, hipster, nothing... I don't want to tell you all about my unlistenable noise albums or disso-black one-man band masterpieces that are better than whatever you like.

However... when I look at lists like these from Metal Hammer, Kerrang!, Rolling Stone and so on (the more commercial side of rock/metal music) I don't see the "best" albums (which is, of course, entirely subjective anyway) I just see the most hyped and or/best selling albums. It's just all the names you'd expect to see there if you asked a random sixth-former with a Nirvana smilie patch sewn on to his record bag. And that was back when I was in sixth-form, round 1999/2000 - the turn of the previous decade! All the same bands - Rammstein, Slipknot, Tool. It's like they're stuck in a time-warp. Or, more likely, the publications grow older but either their readership does too but tastes don't develop/change or they have to appeal to the new generation of teenage metal fans at all times to maintain a readership.

I have a friend that I go to gigs with and whenever there's an old band from 20 or so years ago reforming to top up the pension funds (Pitchshifter a recent example) he's often front of the queue for tickets. The only new stuff he listens to is endless metalcore bands, which again, I consider "for the kids". He's even said that as a 36 year old (same as me) he often feels old because it's full of 16 - 20 year olds. It's like a completely different scene to the metal scene that I follow. I'm not saying it's wrong, or worse. Just weird, for me anyway - how it's the same scene eg: "metal" but at the same time entirely different.

I don't disagree. But I just use these kinda lists to find new music. Not because they are the definitive 'best' albums.

Don
The top two entries were two of my favourite albums this year. Rammstein's Puppe was possibly my favourite track last year, period.

Interesting to see The Hu made the list. Didn't expect Mongolian throat singing would garner so many fans! Their vids are superb. :D

I'm sure their popularity will increase now they have Jacoby Shaddix in one of their songs, it's a good track tbf, they came up on my release radar, I'd never heard of them..

Looking at that list above, some odd choices, I'm more down with the commercial scene of music, I'm 35 now and regularly listening to albums from the 90s, there just doesn't seem enough music coming out of the 'metal' scene nowadays. I walk a lot, I tend to listen to audio books over music now!

Soldato

well i'd agree on the terrible list
it's just 50 common or garden metal bands thrown together , woeful

Back
Top Bottom