The nervous wait to exchange....

• Thread starter Thread starter noj
  • Start date Start date
where we live theres a big housing estate that is like that, 4/5 beds but all relatively small rooms and one or two parking spaces but but because they're so tightly packed there's no on-street parking. There must be over 100 houses on the estate and they've just had planning for another load refused on the basis parking is a nightmare and the houses do not allow for sufficient parking.
Yes, we observed parking everywhere making all of the access roads pretty much single track as well as people putting cones and pots on the road to reserve or hold there allocated space. Not going anywhere near that situation, had a house with parking wars before and its grief you just don't need every day. Real shame really as the house was a stunner tbh.

We gambled and booked the removals for Thursday 27th, but just talked to our solicitors and they won't have finished their work in time to be in a position to exchange and then complete by that date.
As we're changing the removals within 10 days of when we originally booked we've got to pay an extra 30% :( (though to be fair they did warn us about this)

Now targetting a completion date of 3rd July

We gambled and booked the removals for Thursday 27th, but just talked to our solicitors and they won't have finished their work in time to be in a position to exchange and then complete by that date.
As we're changing the removals within 10 days of when we originally booked we've got to pay an extra 30% :( (though to be fair they did warn us about this)

Now targetting a completion date of 3rd July

I wouldn't book removals until you have exchanged and have a confirmed completion date. Until then, it's likely to move with little to no notice and you'll soon find you've paid about 4 'date move' fees.

V obvious, but it's dangerous on the streets,
I physically collected bank account details, validated recipient/solicitor account on the initial search fee payment.

Chloe, whose name has been changed, was one such first time buyer who was scammed out of £5,000 when she tried to transfer her deposit for a £195,000 two-bed flat in Birmingham. She was waiting for her solicitor to send her details for transferring her deposit.

So when she received an email with invoice and payment instructions a few days later, she thought little of it. Ms Ziegler also said: "Fraudsters prey on weaknesses in email security and exploit a conveyancing process that most people may only experience a handful of times in their lives.

"It's vital that solicitors also grasp the importance of educating their clients on the risk of this type of scam and make a point of sharing payment details in person at the start of the homebuying process." Heartbreakingly, Chloe paid the first instalment of her deposit to the fraudster.

People we're buying off have eventually come back saying the 5th is no good as they're out of the country until the 6th. They've suggested the 12th or 19th of July so are going to agree with the 12th as we're living around boxes at the moment.
Just need to wait for our buyers to confirm thats ok, given they want to complete in June i'd imagine they'll be happy with ASAP which seems to be the 12th.

Least then i can book the vans, annual leave and get all utilities sorted. Annoyingly my current buildings insurance renewal date is the 6th of July so going to have to figure that out.

How many vans do people normally get? I'm thinking of getting 3 vans, 2 larger ones and then whatever it is i can drive on my license (small van?). Aim is to get them the evening before and spend the evening loading them up then on the day its a case of drive over to where we're moving (15 mins drive or so) park them up and wait for the keys to become available. I think we may fit everything in 3 vans in one trip

When my sister moved a couple of years back she had 2 vans and they were rammed before we got the keys, the people buying hers used a company for removals so they had a lorry parked near waiting for us to do a few trips in the vans to add to the stress. Really really cannot wait to just get this whole process over and done with, hopefully we won't move again we down size when we're old.

People we're buying off have eventually come back saying the 5th is no good as they're out of the country until the 6th. They've suggested the 12th or 19th of July so are going to agree with the 12th as we're living around boxes at the moment.
Just need to wait for our buyers to confirm thats ok, given they want to complete in June i'd imagine they'll be happy with ASAP which seems to be the 12th.

Least then i can book the vans, annual leave and get all utilities sorted. Annoyingly my current buildings insurance renewal date is the 6th of July so going to have to figure that out.

How many vans do people normally get? I'm thinking of getting 3 vans, 2 larger ones and then whatever it is i can drive on my license (small van?). Aim is to get them the evening before and spend the evening loading them up then on the day its a case of drive over to where we're moving (15 mins drive or so) park them up and wait for the keys to become available. I think we may fit everything in 3 vans in one trip

When my sister moved a couple of years back she had 2 vans and they were rammed before we got the keys, the people buying hers used a company for removals so they had a lorry parked near waiting for us to do a few trips in the vans to add to the stress. Really really cannot wait to just get this whole process over and done with, hopefully we won't move again we down size when we're old.
I think we paid a grand or so for 3 blokes and 2 lutons. It certainly wasn't a high enough cost to make it worth doing myself that's for sure lol

V obvious, but it's dangerous on the streets,
I physically collected bank account details, validated recipient/solicitor account on the initial search fee payment.

that's a bit of a whoopsie
my internet conveyancer's bank deets was in their electronic portal, so nothing sent over by email

does anybody not do test transfers for large sums anymore?
i did a £1 test transfer and did not transfer the rest of the deposit until the conveyancers emailed me back saying they received the £1 transaction

Our mortgage has finally been approved, 8 weeks later !!!!! Survey for the house we are buying has come back, nothing we didn't expect. Just gotta get asbestos survey done now.

Slowly moving along.....like a snail.
Top Tip - don't try to make your snail faster by removing it's shell...

...if anything, it makes it more sluggish.

Our buyer has just had their survey done on ours. Funnily enough they used the same surveyor we used. He seemed positive about our house so fingers crossed our buyers are generally okay with the survey report.

around here removals are quite expensive, my sister got a quote and it was around 2k. Vans are around £100 to hire and the labour costs will be a crate of beer each or something along those lines :)

How much stuff went missing along the way?

This did happen to us. One box went missing and guy wanted more money on the day. Was still around £150, but that was 5 years ago. This time I will rent a Luton van and drive it myself and get friends and family to help.

Around where?

I'm in London. Can't imagine London area being cheaper than most places in the UK as we get fleeced left right and center here
Sorry thought my location was set... I'm in Cumbria. They get a lorry to do the move with a bunch of people pack up, fill lorry move and unpack. If I had nothing else to spend my money on I'd go for it as its one thing not to stress about. I've seen them unloading the lorry before and they look like fitted out lorries for the task.

Back
Top Bottom