The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
We got our first quote for our move. It's from London to West Sussex, £2600. It includes packing , lots of money but as we have two small children we will most probably pay up. Hopefully other quotes we get will be less but I doubt it :cry:

Man of Honour
It's the time it takes to pack that's the killer I suspect.
Move only should be a lot cheaper
£2600 is an average monthly pay!

Last edited:
Soldato
We got our first quote for our move. It's from London to West Sussex, £2600. It includes packing , lots of money but as we have two small children we will most probably pay up. Hopefully other quotes we get will be less but I doubt it :cry:
If you pack yourself you would save half of that.

That's what I did and only paid less than 200.

Pack up yourself

Soldato
& packing materials ... but maybe removal-only company will let you purchase boxes & paper ... had picked up some materials via local forum & Amazon for decent tape & dispenser.

Soldato
& packing materials ... but maybe removal-only company will let you purchase boxes & paper ... had picked up some materials via local forum & Amazon for decent tape & dispenser.
I was amazed how much bubble wrap i could get from amazon for cheap. In Asda it was a couple of quid for a small roll from amazon it was 10£ and i got something like 100meters of it! Also got all the boxes and tape from amazon too.
If i was moving further i'd pay a company to do it but its like 10-20 minutes drive depending on traffic. I've never been in a chain before so not 100% sure what to expect but just hoping we don't have people here waiting to get in and us sat around waiting to get in the other whilst they fanny arse around.

Associate
If you pack yourself you would save half of that.

That's what I did and only paid less than 200.

Pack up yourself
We have small children, don't have time or the energy. Packing service is £695. I would do it but Mrs is insisting, last time we moved was 10 years ago......in grand scheme of things it's not a large amount.

Associate
People on internet telling you what to do and what not to do :cry: I have moved many times, 3 different countries......don't need telling what I should do.

Soldato
Buyer/Seller further down the chain hit a deed of variation issue today regarding a defect in the lease on a flat.

Normally an indemnity resolves this sort of thing however, following promising discussions around indemnity, a DOV is now being requested.

The lender for the buyer isn't requesting, this the mortgage offer was made over a month ago and other flats in the same building have completed recently.

Would I be wrong to presume that, assuming one building is not covered by multiple leases, if this were really required it should already exist at the expense of the prior recent sales and all owners in the building would have had to agreed to it?

Feels like it's a jobsworth...

Last edited:
Soldato
We paid £1400 for just up the road. It was the best quote we got though... 3 blokes, 2 vans.

Associate
We paid £1400 for just up the road. It was the best quote we got though... 3 blokes, 2 vans.
Ours is 2 and half hour one way, so it's 5 hours just driving. They gotta come day before and do all the packing.
It is lots of money but from what we have asked around it very similar price. Guess it's just London tax we have to pay, just like everything else in London :o

Soldato
was that £1400 someone packing your stuff ?
can't get my head around someone opting for strangers touching everything in the house ? -or is it not really a walk out the door experience,.
you can't expect a mover to put audio visual stuff back in their boxes with care, sort all the cables out, or carefully package kitchen porcelain etc.
Had two international moves company paid, but had to prepare and pre-package stuff since some was stored temporarily.

Soldato
was that £1400 someone packing your stuff ?
can't get my head around someone opting for strangers touching everything in the house ? -or is it not really a walk out the door experience,.
you can't expect a mover to put audio visual stuff back in their boxes with care, sort all the cables out, or carefully package kitchen porcelain etc.
Had two international moves company paid, but had to prepare and pre-package stuff since some was stored temporarily.
Sofas, wardrobes, beds. We filled 2 lutons in just a 600sqft cottage. Anything prized was packed away.

Soldato
Ours is 2 and half hour one way, so it's 5 hours just driving. They gotta come day before and do all the packing.
It is lots of money but from what we have asked around it very similar price. Guess it's just London tax we have to pay, just like everything else in London :o
I mean in all fairness you have to cost in they'll likely have insurances to pay, they have to pay for purchase and upkeep of vans/lorries, pay staff including pensions/holidays and so on and then make a profit on top. So you can see why they're not just a few hundred or whatever. 5 hours at whatever average wage is £20 p/h maybe for 2-3 guys is a few hundred for just drving.

I'm doing mine ourselves as i've got the help to do it around here but if it was just me and the family i'd likely budget it in paying a company to do it.

Back
Top Bottom