The nervous wait to exchange....

Soldato
Ours went up on rightmove on Tuesday evening, got a few viewings booked in already so happy with that. Think we've priced well compared to what's out there. One of the ones we looked at has been sold, we are looking around another on Monday which is a great size but near the top of the budget.

Associate

it will be on a different estate so people and vechiles and the sun wont be an issue , however the overlooking will be an issue and the top floor will have a patio/balcony directly overlooking, the only redeming thing is its not ontop of the house but it will be an eyesore and possily will put potental buyers of and devalue, owners are appenrently splitting up and had the estate agents show the house, which i hate

im trying to force a square peg into a round hole i guess

the position i am in is that i sold my house several weeks ago, buyers are pushing and im just not ready. i was going to be moving into a friends for a while but that options now off and i guess im feeling pressured

im not committed financially to the house but might lose my sale, im wanting to move as my friends live in the new area
Well that looks a whole lot better than your description sounded at least the flats are sideways on to you.
That size building will still be a dominant feature at 25 meters and noise has the potential to increase.
It is really down to you individually to know how much it would bother you but it looks a lot better to me than i envisioned.

Soldato

it will be on a different estate so people and vechiles and the sun wont be an issue , however the overlooking will be an issue and the top floor will have a patio/balcony directly overlooking, the only redeming thing is its not ontop of the house but it will be an eyesore and possily will put potental buyers of and devalue, owners are appenrently splitting up and had the estate agents show the house, which i hate

im trying to force a square peg into a round hole i guess

the position i am in is that i sold my house several weeks ago, buyers are pushing and im just not ready. i was going to be moving into a friends for a while but that options now off and i guess im feeling pressured

im not committed financially to the house but might lose my sale, im wanting to move as my friends live in the new area
Other options to break the chain? Rent a place? Rent a room + storage unit?

Well that looks a whole lot better than your description sounded at least the flats are sideways on to you.
That size building will still be a dominant feature at 25 meters and noise has the potential to increase.
It is really down to you individually to know how much it would bother you but it looks a lot better to me than i envisioned.
there is a side view where all the windows

Associate
10 months sounds so long - was there any sort of complications with a chain or anything?

In comparison, we had an offer accepted on a house in the first week in November and we'd completed and got the keys by Jan 30th - although I do think our solicitors this time were the best we've ever worked with so we'd 100% use them again.
Week one offer accepted, 7 weeks in buyer changed their mind. Second time up for sale, week two offer accepted, at the advice from the estate agent we kept waiting for the buyer to get a mortgage offer, week 12 we listened no longer and went back to market.

Third sale took 14 weeks to complete, delays were avoidable right down to the fact we could have exchanged a week earlier but the solicitor at the bottom of the chain ordered the mortgage funds too early.

Associate
HDjfzoMl.png

We were sent this photo showing that the foundations for the house were complete.

Only problem is that the house I'm buying is L shaped :D

Last edited:
Associate
The guy buying my house has got his survey back.

The issues the surveyor noted were :-

1. The electrical consumer unit isn't up to current regs
He doesn't say it's not safe, it's a dual RCD board fitted about 10 years ago, said for him to get an EICR done if he wants.

2. They want us to confirm there's no asbestos in the house
The surveyor suggested there might be some in some roofing, but it's not clear from what we've been told if he found any or what type it is.

Soldato
#1 you can basically ignore. Unless the installation was done in the last few years, it will not be up to the latest regs which are constantly evolving. You’ve done the right thing there.

#2 you can’t be expected to confirm that unless you have had it tested as you are not an expert. Likewise anything you say shouldn’t be relied upon by the buyer. All you can say is ‘as far as I am aware the situation is X’.

Soldato
Ours went up on rightmove on Tuesday evening, got a few viewings booked in already so happy with that. Think we've priced well compared to what's out there. One of the ones we looked at has been sold, we are looking around another on Monday which is a great size but near the top of the budget.
Offer on ours this morning, 3k under list which we were ok with... asked for the remaining 4 viewings to go through and we will get back to them if nothing comes in. Estate agents got back to us an hour or so later the person who offered has raised it to asking price so accepted that.

We've put an offer in on a house just waiting for a response.

Associate
#1 you can basically ignore. Unless the installation was done in the last few years, it will not be up to the latest regs which are constantly evolving. You’ve done the right thing there.

#2 you can’t be expected to confirm that unless you have had it tested as you are not an expert. Likewise anything you say shouldn’t be relied upon by the buyer. All you can say is ‘as far as I am aware the situation is X’.

We spoke to the surveyor directly, he said there's asbestos in the garage roof tiles and in the lining under the roof tiles, but he went on to state that this was perfectly normal and of a very low risk type and said on the report.
There's no remedial action is not required and no risk of health issues, it shouldn't hinder the sale in any way.

Will have to see what the buyer now does.

Associate
We getting EPC and photos done on Tuesday and it's going on market. We got our eyes already on house we like, will book viewing soon. We moving away from outer London to coastal area....can't wait for change of scenery.

Soldato
We getting EPC and photos done on Tuesday and it's going on market. We got our eyes already on house we like, will book viewing soon. We moving away from outer London to coastal area....can't wait for change of scenery.
I’m in Surrey. Even that isn’t far enough from London in my book - that place has become a cesspit since Blair.

Can’t wait to do what you are doing soon

Associate
I’m in Surrey. Even that isn’t far enough from London in my book - that place has become a cesspit since Blair.

Can’t wait to do what you are doing soon
It's a win win situation, get bigger house for less mortgage. Living next to the sea will help with my asthma and allergies as well. I know so many people that are moving away from London it's crazy.

Soldato
Trying to weigh up the right time to sell. We could afford the sort of house we want now with our combined income and sale of this house, but have a busy year ahead with lots of events and associated costs. Within twelve months I'm hoping to have achieved a promotion which would make things more affordable, though, I still don't think we'd increase our budget further.

I guess one school of thought is to do it as soon as possible as house prices continue to rise and the houses we're looking at now could go beyond our budget in twelve months.

For context, we'd hope to sell our place for no less than £260k and our budget is an absolute maximum of £400k. Rookie numbers compared to @dlockers for sure!

Associate
It's a win win situation, get bigger house for less mortgage. Living next to the sea will help with my asthma and allergies as well. I know so many people that are moving away from London it's crazy.
Not exactly the same but we moved out of central Birmingham last year down to the South Coast. We'd been in Birmingham for almost 14 years, had a lovely house but we were pretty central and we were starting to just get tired of the whole busy nature of the city and just feeling drained. We had a kid (my wife did the majority of the having part) and then decided we'd move to the south coast - and we've been here for 10 months now and it's genuinely been really great.

It's taken a while to get used to. Going from having 500 places on Uber Eats to having just a single local Chinese, an Indian and one fish and chip place was definitely strange - but the overall pace of life is so much more what we were looking for. We've got a kid, she can go and play at the beach at the weekends and we're surrounded by the south downs so walks in the woods are now just on the doorstep.

Associate
Not exactly the same but we moved out of central Birmingham last year down to the South Coast. We'd been in Birmingham for almost 14 years, had a lovely house but we were pretty central and we were starting to just get tired of the whole busy nature of the city and just feeling drained. We had a kid (my wife did the majority of the having part) and then decided we'd move to the south coast - and we've been here for 10 months now and it's genuinely been really great.

It's taken a while to get used to. Going from having 500 places on Uber Eats to having just a single local Chinese, an Indian and one fish and chip place was definitely strange - but the overall pace of life is so much more what we were looking for. We've got a kid, she can go and play at the beach at the weekends and we're surrounded by the south downs so walks in the woods are now just on the doorstep.
That's great to hear, happy for you both and little one.......glad it all worked out in the end.
We are looking to move to Selsey which is also down your way, got wife's sister that lives in Portsmouth and her mom lives in bracklesham bay so will be nice to be close to them. We also have two kids so will be nice for them to go to them beach for walks and stuff. We are all looking forward to it :)

Back
Top Bottom