The new Arsenal Club Thread - *No Spoilers & Read OP Before Posting*

Caporegime
Shouldn’t even be any more negotiating, just offer it to him. The mans the fastest arsenal player to score 50 goals and on course for two golden boots in a row.

Madness not to give him that.
Lol knowing how mad our board are, they may just say nah it’s ok and let him go :/.

But he is definitely worth all that and possibly more. The guy is a goal scoring machine. Now if only Laca and our shoddy defence could somehow get their **** together we might be able to challenge for trophies.

Soldato
I think they were saying something like £40m for 4 years which 100% won't get an equivalent replacement... should cough it up and move Laca on. Surprised he'd want to stay given there's no chance league titles or the CL but maybe he likes London a lot.

Man of Honour
3 year deal for a 31 year old would be a bit unusual for Arsenal, you'd imagine once he hits 33 he'll start losing a bit of pace. I imagine they'd want to structure it more along the lines of 2 years with the 3rd year being structured around appearances or something.

Soldato
The lack of any European football next season means less money coming in than ever, which in turn means a greater likelihood the club will have to make that up by selling players they might have got away with being able to keep. I have a feeling Auba would fall into that bracket. Arteta has the unenviable job of rebuilding the mess he inherited from Emery, Wenger and the higher-ups dreadful managing of the club on a shoestring.

Going to be a lean few years ahead.

Soldato
I read that Kronke was considering clearing the remaining stadium debt and re-financing some way due to the very high interest rates which should save us quite a chunk of cash.

Soldato
I read that Kronke was considering clearing the remaining stadium debt and re-financing some way due to the very high interest rates which should save us quite a chunk of cash.

Debt consolidation....surely this is basic stuff that would have been thought about before?

Caporegime
He’s loaned the club the money to pay off the debt and we will pay him back at a much lower interest rate than we was previously. It will save the club around 20m a year and we free up a lot of our cash reserves as the previous loan agreement with the banks demanded that we keep a cash reserve of at least £36m. We won’t have to do that anymore.

It’s not a game changer, it just gives us a little more leeway with running costs, possible transfer market dealings and contract negotiations.

Don
OP
There's a lot of guess work in there rob. Nobody knows, yet, what interest rate they will be paying or over what period the money will be repaid but it certainly won't save Arsenal £20m per year. SwissRamble done a thread on twitter and his best guess, assuming a much lower interest rate & the debt being refinanced over a much longer term, would save Arsenal approx £5m in interest and £5m in repayments

There is the potential for a nasty surprise here too. Kroenke borrowed £500m to buyout Usmanov, which is due to be repaid next month. SwissRamble speculates that this £200m odd could be rolled into a much larger refinance along with the other £500m. Will Arsenal then just pay the interest on the £200m stadium debt or will they end up paying for the pleasure of being owned by Kroenke too?

Caporegime
There's a lot of guess work in there rob. Nobody knows, yet, what interest rate they will be paying or over what period the money will be repaid but it certainly won't save Arsenal £20m per year. SwissRamble done a thread on twitter and his best guess, assuming a much lower interest rate & the debt being refinanced over a much longer term, would save Arsenal approx £5m in interest and £5m in repayments

There is the potential for a nasty surprise here too. Kroenke borrowed £500m to buyout Usmanov, which is due to be repaid next month. SwissRamble speculates that this £200m odd could be rolled into a much larger refinance along with the other £500m. Will Arsenal then just pay the interest on the £200m stadium debt or will they end up paying for the pleasure of being owned by Kroenke too?
I don’t know who Swiss Ramble is, but this is the official Arsenal supporters trust take on things

https://www.arsenaltrust.org/feed/afc-finances/2020/AST-Debt-Redemption-KSE

Don
OP
I don’t know who Swiss Ramble is, but this is the official Arsenal supporters trust take on things

https://www.arsenaltrust.org/feed/afc-finances/2020/AST-Debt-Redemption-KSE
He's a financial analyst that covers football.

But even using your own link, the figures are essentially the same however the AST have worded their "£20m saving" point poorly. There will be no £20m saving. Arsenal currently pay a total of £20m in interest (£11m pa) and repayments (£9m pa). If you read point 7, that £20m will be reduced to between £5m and £10m per year, depending on the interest rate and whether the new agreement is a short-term interest only deal or a longer term deal with repayments. A short term interest only deal will cost Arsenal approx £5m per year (SwissRamble mentioned that interest payments would be approx £5m too), meaning Arsenal are saving £15m per year but they are not actually paying down their debt as they were before. Or a longer term repayment deal will save Arsenal approx £10m, which is what SwissRamble is speculating will happen, with the debt being paid off.

At the bottom of the AST link it also brings up the £500m Kroenke borrowed to buyout Usmanov too and the big question as to whether Arsenal end up having to pay this.

Man of Honour
Maitland-Niles wants out according to The Athletic, decent squad player but it's clear Arteta doesn't rate him. Personally I'd want to hang onto him as I reckon there's a load of potential there, but at the same time if we can get a decent fee then the money can be used for more pressing concerns (CB/CM). Apparently there's interest in England and Germany.

Caporegime
Maitland-Niles wants out according to The Athletic, decent squad player but it's clear Arteta doesn't rate him. Personally I'd want to hang onto him as I reckon there's a load of potential there, but at the same time if we can get a decent fee then the money can be used for more pressing concerns (CB/CM). Apparently there's interest in England and Germany.
He has good patches, but overall, I don’t think he’s good enough. He doesn’t excel at any position, just a utility player really. He wants to play centre mid, and he’s just not good enough.

Associate
Maitland-Niles is a lower-tier Premiership player really. We have two better rightbacks/wingbacks, three on the left side ahead of him, and he has no real usage in a central midfield role. If he wants to forge a career as a starter rather than an emergency jack of all trades, elsewhere it will be.

Back
Top Bottom