The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Man of Honour
No, it uses the popup flash to send the optical pulses just as a separate flash would. Has some limitations, for example it won't do HSS, but if you looking for a simple way to do OFC then it's a good start. Functionally it's just a built-in ST-E2.

It is just an IR/optical transmitter as Ray says, the speedlites in slave mode will pick up the popup flashe's firring and sync up their output. What we're on about here are proper radio commanders/triggers that don't need an optical signal to work.

The YN-622c will handle the 430EX II and 580EX II no problem. You can then manage the parameters of each flash plugged into a 622c on the same channel from the in camera menu for external flash control. That's the part the 7D does have IIRC so as long as a compatible radio trigger is attached to the hotshoe and each subsequent flash is attached to a 622c as well you'll get ETTL/Manual control over each speedlite.

Here's what the menu looks like on my 5D3 with just the 622c transceiver attached:

7Do5Wex.jpg

I used 2 flashes on each corner of the dancefloor this weekend just gone, moved around so each time the B&G were in front of either for rim lighting and used manual control for that. nice and handy having full control from the commander this way either from camera or the 622c-TX unit. Shame the TX doesn't have a hotshoe o it like the 622c though, I might buy another 622c and another YN-568 in the near future depending on need as I can then use the master one as front fill with the others set to rim.

So far there's always been some decent illumination for front from ambience anyway but I know the need will come at a venue one day...

Last edited:
Soldato
It isn't IR, but is optical as it uses the preflash control standards for master/slave.

Sorry, the command light is IR but the flash still fires. This caused loads of confusion at launch. People were expecting st-e2 functionality.

Last edited:
Soldato
AFAIK, slave flashes don't care whether they receive the command pulses from the master in visible light or IR. Master flashes, whether a dedicated unit or the 7D's popup will use visible light from the bulb as there's no point adding a dedicated IR transmitter for this purpose whereas the ST-E2 uses IR as it has no existing flash tube to leverage and is likely a lot cheaper too.

Caporegime
It is just an IR/optical transmitter as Ray says, the speedlites in slave mode will pick up the popup flashe's firring and sync up their output. What we're on about here are proper radio commanders/triggers that don't need an optical signal to work.

The YN-622c will handle the 430EX II and 580EX II no problem. You can then manage the parameters of each flash plugged into a 622c on the same channel from the in camera menu for external flash control. That's the part the 7D does have IIRC so as long as a compatible radio trigger is attached to the hotshoe and each subsequent flash is attached to a 622c as well you'll get ETTL/Manual control over each speedlite.

Here's what the menu looks like on my 5D3 with just the 622c transceiver attached:

http://i.imgur.com/7Do5Wex.jpg[/IMG

I used 2 flashes on each corner of the dancefloor this weekend just gone, moved around so each time the B&G were in front of either for rim lighting and used manual control for that. nice and handy having full control from the commander this way either from camera or the 622c-TX unit. Shame the TX doesn't have a hotshoe o it like the 622c though, I might buy another 622c and another YN-568 in the near future depending on need as I can then use the master one as front fill with the others set to rim.

So far there's always been some decent illumination for front from ambience anyway but I know the need will come at a venue one day...[/QUOTE]

Here is something I've discovered...

The Canon, if you like me shoot with 2 bodies, put a transmitter on each (or 600EX-RT), put them in the same channels and group. Both cameras can trigger the off camera flashes. What does that mean?

It means you can still shoot with 2 bodies, put a flash on each, a different lens in each, and pick up and choose the body you want and both triggers the off camera flash, but not the flash on the other body (as it is in Master). So the Slaves can have more than 1 Master. I never had enough flashes to do that before, always had to either change lens or take flash off and put it on the other body.

Man of Honour
Hey guys. Is the Sigma 30mm 1.4 worth a punt at around £180?

General chit-chat thread would be good.

It's average. Optical distortion, lots of CA, resolving power is quite poor for a prime. It's a cheap 1.4 and so you're gonna get cheap 1.4 performance. A mate has one on his 7D, soon to be sold to make way for the 35 :p

Here is something I've discovered...

The Canon, if you like me shoot with 2 bodies, put a transmitter on each (or 600EX-RT), put them in the same channels and group. Both cameras can trigger the off camera flashes. What does that mean?

It means you can still shoot with 2 bodies, put a flash on each, a different lens in each, and pick up and choose the body you want and both triggers the off camera flash, but not the flash on the other body (as it is in Master). So the Slaves can have more than 1 Master. I never had enough flashes to do that before, always had to either change lens or take flash off and put it on the other body.

Known :p Actually used before in the manual flash set-up!

Edit*
I've found one bug in the YN-622c-TX configuration. If I put the speedlites into multi-group mode from the commander then the 622c transceivers will freeze as will the speedlites in turn requiring power cycling. Weird. I might upgrade the firmware of the TX to a newer build as posted by the YN dev in the Canon forums thread and re-test but as it stands I never use multi-group mode anyway so just ettl or full manual.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got it for £165, it'll do for that price. The CA looks absolutely awful, so will see how I can live with that. Even if I sell it on it'll be worth it for a bit of fun in the meantime.

Can't afford the 35mm at the moment. :( :p

EDIT:

.... have I just bought a crop lens?! ... :D ****

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've got it for £165, it'll do for that price. The CA looks absolutely awful, so will see how I can live with that. Even if I sell it on it'll be worth it for a bit of fun in the meantime.

Can't afford the 35mm at the moment. :( :p

EDIT:

.... have I just bought a crop lens?! ... :D ****

yes,
Look out for the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 FX lens (not the DX).
It is a great lens and amazing value for money.

Soldato
Ah cool, will check that out. How much are be talking? Some show 150 pounds but that can't be right. Must be the DX version, wrongly listed. This one is really no use. :( :D

Was hoping I had picked up a cheap 1.4 prime, but clearly not. Balls!

Anybody fancy it? :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom