The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Associate
I've not been in OcUK for a while. Astounded to see this thread still running. I was there at the beginning (post 5). Still haven't bought the 400mm f2.8 that was on my wish-list back then...

Caporegime
Anyone have the new Canon 35mm mk2?

Thinking about upgrading, with the current cash back deal it should work out about £1k to change over. I wonder if you have it whether it is considerably better in the real world.

The one area I find the mk1 falls short is the CA, it's not a huge problem most of the time but it can be in some situations. Also now having the 5D4 with the extra resolution it might be wise to get lenses that can resolve those resolutions (or vice versa). What I gather its the Canon is undoubtedly a better 35mm, or it is the best 35mm you can get, in AF, bokeh, CA, distortion, sharpness, pretty much across the board.

Of course I could get the Sigma for much less but i read stories about it's focusing and tbh...I need to be able to trust the lens so on that front I have to rule the Sigma out. The 35mm is my most used lens by far, although it is expensive, I think it is money well spent and a worthy investment. (I guess my mind is 90% made, but would love to hear what people think if they have tried the new 35mm)

Soldato

Thinking about upgrading, with the current cash back deal it should work out about £1k to change over. I wonder if you have it whether it is considerably better in the real world.

The one area I find the mk1 falls short is the CA, it's not a huge problem most of the time but it can be in some situations. Also now having the 5D4 with the extra resolution it might be wise to get lenses that can resolve those resolutions (or vice versa). What I gather its the Canon is undoubtedly a better 35mm, or it is the best 35mm you can get, in AF, bokeh, CA, distortion, sharpness, pretty much across the board.

Of course I could get the Sigma for much less but i read stories about it's focusing and tbh...I need to be able to trust the lens so on that front I have to rule the Sigma out. The 35mm is my most used lens by far, although it is expensive, I think it is money well spent and a worthy investment. (I guess my mind is 90% made, but would love to hear what people think if they have tried the new 35mm)

Couldn't detail personally any focusing issues with the Sigma and would heartily and without reserve recommend it to anyone.
Mine is glued to my body and it hasn't let me down once, however it sounds like you are already sold on the Canon so there would be no reason not to go that way, also isn't a 35L mk1 a qualifying CPS lens? If so I'd presume the MK2 will be as well which can also make a difference to a purchase.

Soldato

I have the sigma 35mm and the focus is spot on. Cant see a reason why you would not go for that one. Nothing wrong with the focus

Caporegime
The sigma 35mm is optimized for sharpness over out-of-focus rendering so I would have a close look at some examples. The other issue I would have as a serious pro is Sigma lenses wont give the same colors and rendition as canon. This tends to be a bigger issue for you rather than your clients who aren't so engaged. in such matters.

Caporegime
The sigma 35mm is optimized for sharpness over out-of-focus rendering so I would have a close look at some examples. The other issue I would have as a serious pro is Sigma lenses wont give the same colors and rendition as canon. This tends to be a bigger issue for you rather than your clients who aren't so engaged. in such matters.

I just read this, impressive stuff from Canon. From the construction's point of view, if one places value on construction and what you get for £1800.

https://wordpress.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/12/canon-35mm-f1-4-mk-ii-teardown/

The mechanical construction is beyond impressive. This lens is massively over-engineered compared to any other prime we’ve ever disassembled. It’s built like a tank where it counts; on the inside.

We take apart A LOT of lenses (we passed 20,000 in-house repairs some time ago) and this is the most impressively built prime I’ve seen. This is an engineer’s lens.

If I had to summarize the mechanical design of this lens, I would say simply that no expense was spared, no corner was cut.

Sometimes things are expensive because they’re worth it. Sometimes they’re heavy because they’re so solidly constructed. This is one of those times.

Caporegime
Canon have been slowly increasing their lens quality. You can also see form the lenrentals reviews that newer Canon lenses are being built with much tighter tolerances so there is less lens to lens variances. Nikon look to be doing the same but are some way behind Canon at this point.

It makes sense since Sigma and Tamron are now offering lenses optical as good Canon and Nikon can no longer sell lenses at high prices purely on optics. Of Course Sigma and Tamron have improved their quality a lot but Canon and nikon want to be a level up

Caporegime
Canon have been slowly increasing their lens quality. You can also see form the lenrentals reviews that newer Canon lenses are being built with much tighter tolerances so there is less lens to lens variances. Nikon look to be doing the same but are some way behind Canon at this point.

It makes sense since Sigma and Tamron are now offering lenses optical as good Canon and Nikon can no longer sell lenses at high prices purely on optics. Of Course Sigma and Tamron have improved their quality a lot but Canon and nikon want to be a level up

Good to see Canon is reacting to Sigma's recent revival and taking a step ahead, they had to I guess as I bet they have lost not insignificant sales to the recent Art series, I mean me included have the 50A, instead of the 50L. The price is hard to stomach but at least it is more expensive because of the brand, it seems like you do get what you pay for, that is reassuring.

Associate
Can't complain about the Sigma 35mm, not noticed any AF issues and it's ridiculously sharp. Focuses better on my D610 than the Nikon primes i have. There's certainly no way i could have justified spending an extra £1000 on the Nikon 35mm instead. Build quality seems fine for me, i'm not a pro lugging kit around all day though...

Caporegime
Can't complain about the Sigma 35mm, not noticed any AF issues and it's ridiculously sharp. Focuses better on my D610 than the Nikon primes i have. There's certainly no way i could have justified spending an extra £1000 on the Nikon 35mm instead. Build quality seems fine for me, i'm not a pro lugging kit around all day though...

If the mk2 isn't available I would have got the Sigma, or if I had the Sigma I can't see myself getting the Canon either.

Looking at my library, this lens makes sense.

EBF69Bl.png

And

And

Associate
Nice. How are you getting along with the MkIV Raymond? I've been umming and aahing over one to complement my 1DX.

Associate
Be interested to hear your thoughts on the new 35 Raymond. I went for the Sigma myself, couldn't justify the extra on the new Canon, or the older one second hand to be fair. I agree with your above stats, clearly by far your most used lens and also as you said it will count towards your CPS list.

Caporegime
Nice. How are you getting along with the MkIV Raymond? I've been umming and aahing over one to complement my 1DX.

Still not done Focal on it yet, one more lens to get before my first wedding, calibrate it and then I can report back.

One thing on the 5D i haven't figure out is when in Live View mode, can't figure out how to bring up the focus points display. Because it is now touch screen, you just touch where to focus and it will take a photo instead of bring up the focus points so in a way, instead of 61 points, it is a few million points focusing using dual pixels.

Be interested to hear your thoughts on the new 35 Raymond. I went for the Sigma myself, couldn't justify the extra on the new Canon, or the older one second hand to be fair. I agree with your above stats, clearly by far your most used lens and also as you said it will count towards your CPS list.

It is going to be sad to see it go, that lens is my most used, it has been to many many countries, been to serving twice by CPS, I absolutely love the thing but it has to make way as technology moves on.

Caporegime
Does it not just show the large portrait shaped AF point as live view on older models by default then?

In the Mk3 if you press the top right back button it brings up the focus points but in this, it say "This function is not available in Live View Mode" on screen.

In the mk4, if you press the thumb stick down, it brings up a box then you can use the stick to move it around.

Or you can just touch the screen to focus/shoot.

And

And

Associate
Right. I've just been messing with LV stills on the 1DXII but while it puts the af point where I want it with the touchscreen I still have to hit my af button (AF-On for BB focus) to af. RTFM time I think.

Back
Top Bottom