The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
Wow that looks like a serious bit of kit Jonney, I'm still rocking a Red Snapper and thought that it was expensive. Which actually used for the first time this year last weekend.

Ra1enJz.jpg

Bought a cheap £5 remote trigger a couple of days before, mounted the D4 on the RS and had the trigger in the left hand and leaf blower from my shed in the right. Had a right old laugh with the B&G. :D

Caporegime

That's good if you only have 1 tripod I guess. But for me, I wouldn't like it because

1 - it only folds down to 43cm, that is 50% longer
2 - it goes up to 143cm. Sometimes and I have, used taller with my Manfrotto 055Pro

So for travel I compromise on the compact size for the extended height whereas for shoots I put it in my car so weight and compact size doesn't matter. It makes sense to have 2 different ones. If its 43cm I wouldn't take it abroad as it's a bit too long and I wouldn't use it for shoots because it is too short.

Caporegime
Wow that looks like a serious bit of kit Jonney, I'm still rocking a Red Snapper and thought that it was expensive. Which actually used for the first time this year last weekend.

Ra1enJz.jpg

Bought a cheap £5 remote trigger a couple of days before, mounted the D4 on the RS and had the trigger in the left hand and leaf blower from my shed in the right. Had a right old laugh with the B&G. :D

Question

1 - you brought a leaf blower to the wedding?
2 - you blew leaves at them? and they paid you for it? :D

Soldato
Yep and yep, its amazing how much the bride and groom love a good blow....:D

I did an engagement shoot last year in the same spot in autumn (Sherwood Forest) and the couple actually requested it so I brought my blower and hey presto it worked. First time at a wedding though.

Caporegime

Ra1enJz.jpg

Love the photo!

The thing with tripods is that they will last 20 years at least. Even a good lens will age faster than a good tripod. My Gitzo3531S and RRS BH-55 are just amazing to use 9 years on., and there are still relatively few options that come close to the stability.

Caporegime
That's good if you only have 1 tripod I guess. But for me, I wouldn't like it because

2 - it goes up to 143cm. Sometimes and I have, used taller with my Manfrotto 055Pro

So for travel I compromise on the compact size for the extended height whereas for shoots I put it in my car so weight and compact size doesn't matter. It makes sense to have 2 different ones. If its 43cm I wouldn't take it abroad as it's a bit too long and I wouldn't use it for shoots because it is too short.

For travel as long as it is under 60cm I don;t really care. You can't travel with a tripod in the cabin (nearly has one confiscated but luckily had time to go and check it in after security refused to let me pass). On a backpack it doesn't really matter as I attached it to the outside of my F-Stop Lioka. When going really light I just prefer a monopod or a bean-bag on top of my backpack.

Caporegime
For travel as long as it is under 60cm I don;t really care. You can't travel with a tripod in the cabin (nearly has one confiscated but luckily had time to go and check it in after security refused to let me pass). On a backpack it doesn't really matter as I attached it to the outside of my F-Stop Lioka. When going really light I just prefer a monopod or a bean-bag on top of my backpack.

I use a messenger bag and it’s 30cm long hence that’s my limit. It’s not about going into the hold (which it does), it’s just I carry it inside the messenger bag.

Soldato

Yea it can fold very tiny.

It only waeighs 0.3kg heavier then yours and not bad

Trust me i have hiked all over the world with it.

Caporegime
Yea it can fold very tiny.

It only waeighs 0.3kg heavier then yours and not bad

Trust me i have hiked all over the world with it.

For sure, 43cm isn't massive but I don't "hike", I am just city walking and when I am doing that I like to keep all my gear I am not using in my messenger bag so a 43cm tripod will stick out. I prefer to have it hidden in the bag that's all.

Back
Top Bottom