The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Associate
Finally traded in all my Nikon FX gear and moved fully to mirrorless.

oFflUc69l79FLZ0KaWYl5174TIZrJEMTKnkLANapI3Toj9rGAmCg9pbrqc7z7u-TMUBJmXjux6deMijSomweA_Uzic0j5BZfj1m6q6bAxPU8DKbqsP59y_jXFMFvkbzgUkmO6wD1Ng=w1545-h1159-no

Guy

Guy

Associate
I decided that I needed a 'proper' camera for my trip away, so got myself a lovely Sony A6000. I've got a fair bit of learning to do to make the most of it, as my last one was a Panasonic TZ5, which was mostly kept on auto.

Removed pics, need to re-upload on another site.

Soldato
Well, technically mostly not camera, but is nice also for photography:
Yesterday got Mavic Pro Platinum I ordered in Thursday.
Sensor sure isn't the best out of current drones (only at level of Phantom 3) but nothing else comes close in portability.
While Platinum doesn't have that much battery life difference to original/standard in cold temperatures every decrease in discharge current helps to maintain effective battery capacity.

Anyway know well one of two main filmographers of Tale of a Forest and he got interested when I told I was getting drone.
Of course he also instantly suggested taking it to where Finland's southernmost Siberian Jays live (one of the filming places) for getting some aerial photography of area.
(actually nearly all filming places would be relatively close)

Soldato
Time for an upgrade...

20171212_130820.jpg

...from the original Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 to the new Sports version.

Hoping to sell the old one towards a Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS mkii.

Last edited:
Associate
Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR. Went for this over the 14-24mm as it's smaller, lighter, cheaper and I can use my 100mm Lee Filter system with it.

Used, but in pristine condition, £600 delivered.

rk1umc.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Nikon 16-35mm f/4 VR. Went for this over the 14-24mm as it's smaller, lighter, cheaper and I can use my 100mm Lee Filter system with it.

Used, but in pristine condition, £600 delivered.

Good choice, it's a really good lens and probably one of my most used for landscapes. I've got the 14-24 also (which is an amazing lens btw) but generally I only carry it when I know I'll need it, otherwise I carry the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200.

Associate
Good choice, it's a really good lens and probably one of my most used for landscapes. I've got the 14-24 also (which is an amazing lens btw) but generally I only carry it when I know I'll need it, otherwise I carry the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200.

I already have the 24-70 f/2.8 and at some point will add the 70-200 to my bag and ill be sorted :)

Soldato

i have the 14-24 which is amazing and so sharp, but i want to do lots of landscapes next year. I was tempted to swap but i feel i should just dig deep and get both. I'm not sure if i can stomach the massive cost of getting the bespoke 14-24 filter system :(

Soldato
i have the 14-24 which is amazing and so sharp, but i want to do lots of landscapes next year. I was tempted to swap but i feel i should just dig deep and get both. I'm not sure if i can stomach the massive cost of getting the bespoke 14-24 filter system :(

I know what you mean about the filter system, I don't have one either but as you say it is such a good lens I wouldn't sell it. On my Iceland trip this year I used it a lot and just bracketed most things that I would normally use a ND/Grad on. For night photography it's amazing and came in very handy inside Ice caves :)

Soldato
I know what you mean about the filter system, I don't have one either but as you say it is such a good lens I wouldn't sell it. On my Iceland trip this year I used it a lot and just bracketed most things that I would normally use a ND/Grad on. For night photography it's amazing and came in very handy inside Ice caves :)

yeah, it's fine with regards to bracketing as i'm happy to do that. It's just in the instances when a polariser is desirable to cut reflections etc..

Soldato
yeah, it's fine with regards to bracketing as i'm happy to do that. It's just in the instances when a polariser is desirable to cut reflections etc..

I was going to put that in my post above, that's the one thing you can't do in post ie polariser. There's no cheap solution from what I've seen so until I find something I'll just have to live with the limitations and enjoy the other benefits I guess.

Associate
No pictures (ironically), but I recently got my first ever proper camera, a Canon 200D with 18-55mm kit lense (I should have the Canon 24mm pancake arriving on Friday). Soooooo much to learn, but enjoying my messing around so far!

Back
Top Bottom