The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Caporegime
That certainly brings home how tiny the body is, Someone needs to come up with some clever new optics to take advantage of the tiny bodies that can now be produced! That body with some lenses bout the size of the old Olympus OM glass would be brilliant!

Well, I think the Canon 50/1.4 is smaller but these latest glass optics seems to be huge, both is girth and length :p

The Sigma Art 50 is much longer than this and the 35L mk2 is like a small telephoto. This Zeiss can’t really be much smaller, it’s front element is actually smaller than the Sigma 50 Art. I think the Zeiss has like 12 elements inside in 9 groups. A lot of glass.

Soldato
Well, I think the Canon 50/1.4 is smaller but these latest glass optics seems to be huge, both is girth and length :p

The Sigma Art 50 is much longer than this and the 35L mk2 is like a small telephoto. This Zeiss can’t really be much smaller, it’s front element is actually smaller than the Sigma 50 Art. I think the Zeiss has like 12 elements inside in 9 groups. A lot of glass.

The high end stuff has certainly grown in the last few years, we need a leap in optics design somewhere to keep the quality and shrink them back down but that probably needs someone to invent a new kind of glass!

Caporegime
Even if APSC can rival FF for DR and low light performance, the problem they have is a physic one, bokeh on a larger sensor will always be nicer. a 1.2 aperture on a APSC is 1.8 on FF. 1.8 for a FF prime is almost entry level for an 85mm whereas that is the max for APSC.

Anyway, this isn't whether one is better than the other as I have a Fuji set up too, it's just for ultimate image quality I still go for my FF setup.

Soldato
Even if APSC can rival FF for DR and low light performance, the problem they have is a physic one, bokeh on a larger sensor will always be nicer. a 1.2 aperture on a APSC is 1.8 on FF. 1.8 for a FF prime is almost entry level for an 85mm whereas that is the max for APSC.

Anyway, this isn't whether one is better than the other as I have a Fuji set up too, it's just for ultimate image quality I still go for my FF setup.

I have both as well and there is still something magical about the pictures from my 5D mkii even though it is massively out of date!

Soldato
Canon have made some progress using Defraction optics
True, the other thing that disapoints me with all the bi brands at the minute is the focus on the fastest sharpest primes possible which is breading these behemoth lenses I think Fuji have proved there is a strong market for a slightly slower but much smaller high quality prime line up. I'm sure if Sony put some effort into developing a set of 1.8/2.0 primes that were small and sharp they would sell like hot cakes as they would make great pairings with this body!

Caporegime
Almost Zeiss lense, pretty sure it's just a Zeiss design made by Sony. The Loxia and Batis lenses are what you want.
I can't decide between the g master 85 or the Batis.

I know, but Loxia is manual and Batis range don’t have a 50mm plus the Batis lenses are all slower. Very sharp but slower, cool design though.

G-Master don’t make a 35 or 50….which they really should do already, I am sure they are coming as it is a hole in their line up, but I guess they have the Sony/Zeiss Planar 35/50. Another thing about the G-master is that they are REALLY expensive. Take the 85 G-Master, sharpness wise it is not considerable better than the Sony 85/1.8 at 1.8, The Batis 85/1.8 is actually sharper. If you compare to say the Canon 85/1.4, the Canon is cheaper and has IS too. The G-Master arguably has better bokeh against the Sony 85/1.18 with its 11 blade aperture, rounder bokeh balls so that’s what you are paying for in the end, 1/3rd of a stop with better bokeh.

I might just opt for the Sony 85/1.8 and if I want faster and ultimate bokeh I’ll slap on my Canon 85/1.2 saving me £1200 towards a Canon 84/1.4…then I can have IS on my Canon.

The Sony Zeiss 50 Planar has no competition for the E-Mount, even against other adapted lenses, it’s better than the Sigma 50A which I have. The Canon 50/1.0 or 1.2 although faster, it’s not comparable in that they are old designs and suffers from a lot of focusing “challenges” being so thin and suffers greatly with CA. The Canon 50/1.4 is a really old design that’s not that sharp in comparison. I can’t think of another E-mount 50mm that is on the level of this Zeiss with auto focus. On things like sharpness, bokeh, focusing, contrast, colour rendition, weather sealing, build quality, with its AF/MF switch, nice focus ring, aperture ring (not that I use it), I think it is one of the best 50mm on the market. There are better 50mm like the 55mm Zeiss Octus but at 4k? and manual focus? Or there are Leica lenses that are 6k or 11k. This cost me a little over £1k and its auto focus. It’s probably the most expensive 50mm I’ll ever buy but I am happy knowing that it’ll probably be the last one I’ll ever need to buy for the E-mount.

Soldato
I can’t think of another E-mount 50mm that is on the level of this Zeiss with auto focus. On things like sharpness, bokeh, focusing, contrast, colour rendition, weather sealing, build quality, with its AF/MF switch, nice focus ring, aperture ring (not that I use it), I think it is one of the best 50mm on the market. There are better 50mm like the 55mm Zeiss Octus but at 4k? and manual focus? Or there are Leica lenses that are 6k or 11k. This cost me a little over £1k and its auto focus. It’s probably the most expensive 50mm I’ll ever buy but I am happy knowing that it’ll probably be the last one I’ll ever need to buy for the E-mount.

I just found out about this one last night - seems to be getting some serious cred especially for the price.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajYQZOmCHDY

They also have a 35mm 1.4 with AF that looks good

Caporegime
My leather stuff, the Leather grip arrived today.

Aluminium base with a built in Arca Swiss compatible plate. Enough space for my fingers to go between the lens, even a 50/1.4, battery door opens, enough height for my pinky. Tile screen opens easily. The only downside is access to the micro USB and USB-C flap is a little restricted. I can get to the USB-C but not the micro USB. Not a problem as I can still charge via USB-C anyway. Job done, pinky problem solved.

CSyBbRR.jpg

UX8Al78.jpg

orXROoe.jpg

UNEyZIO.jpg

P3CUCyN.jpg

vtKsWm9.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom