The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Caporegime
Nice bag but a bit to ££££ for me....Harry potter studio tour cleared me out ! :(

It does feel expensive when look at it in a vacuum or against other more small camera like bags like Lowepro, Crumpler or Thinktank of a similar size but when you look at it against other similar bags like Billingham or ONA you realise this is cheaper than a lot of those and when you examine the materials used and the craftsmanship of the bags, this should cost more.
I don’t think any of us want a bag that looks like a camera bag, I can always spot a Lowepro or Manfrotto logo from a mile off even if its small. Thinktank bags is or was my ideal choice but I never felt they were 100% right. What is good is that even I haven’t heard of this brand before until a week ago, it’s not a high-street brand, so walking around I don’t see this screams “cameras inside” to someone across the street. Even the Peak Design bag, although not technically high street, I think it’s design is too unique and I know what’s inside at a glance. The Ryker has no logo, no branding on the front, it’s only logo is on the back where it hugs your body. It’s what a lot of camera bags tries to do to be discrete with their plain design but they ruin it when they put a logo on the front.

Street daily bags should be discrete – no logos
It should have easy access when standing up
It should be secured – internal zips and pockets

Something of a size where you are comfortable with carrying all day, so no point getting a large 30L bag if you only fill it up to 25% as a daily.
This bag isn’t 100% perfect, I’d prefer if I had an extra internal pockets or 2 for memory cards, me be some change, you can actually buy a Velcro attachment that can do both but I felt I will see how I use the bag first before spending more money. That’s my only negative so far on first impression.

Soldato
It is a nice looking bag and does get away from the normal branded "i'm a camera bag" and thats what i always want but i also want a bag that is practical and holds enough gear for a shoot.

How much did you pay for the bag ?

Caporegime
It is a nice looking bag and does get away from the normal branded "i'm a camera bag" and thats what i always want but i also want a bag that is practical and holds enough gear for a shoot.

How much did you pay for the bag ?

330 euros, the last brown bag available in the EU through their European dealer. They have one more in Black. It’s $379 USD if buy direct but probably with tax and duty on top.

Caporegime
That is nice but looks smaller than Raymond's I would need a body with grip and 2 lens and one on the camera.

The size of mine to this one isn’t that big a difference. 1.5cm, that’s like an inch or so on all sides. The biggest difference I see is that under the main flap, there is no protection to the gear, either from thieves or from water. There is essentially a giant hold each side and if your bag is turned upside down, loose stuff can come out. Also the strap is fixed in so without that metal buckle, any twist motion will put stress on the stitching in the bag as opposed

I guess that’s where some of the design differences are and where the extra money went. Thinktank Retrospective 5 is a similar bag but like this, it has no cover after the main flap but it does have some kind of “wings” to help.

Wotancraft Ryker Specifications
Dimensions (W x D x H):
28.5 x 12 x 21 cm
Weight:1.2 kg

Vs

W30 x D14cm x22H. H12 x W8.8 x D5.5 inches

Caporegime
No Loss in quality or sharpness in focus? Im really tempted to try the a7 iii, it looks awesome, but im loathed to ditch my L collection.

I have all my canon lenses too, don’t plan to jump ship, merely adding this body to my canon kit.

Bodies come and go, lenses stay.

And yes, it all works fine. The only lens I found iffy is the 100L macro but it’s a macro so I use it in manual anyway.

Associate
No Loss in quality or sharpness in focus? Im really tempted to try the a7 iii, it looks awesome, but im loathed to ditch my L collection.

Only lenses I've seen that looked worse were wide angles and their edge performance, it's added incentive to get a native wide angle as they should be a bit smaller than anything adapted as well.

For static subjects you shouldn't have a problem with adapted glass, with some lenses you may even forget they're adapted but it does vary by lens and how demanding you are.

Back
Top Bottom