The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Permabanned
My cameras are calibrated just fine :p I don't answer to trolls anymore. :)

H25koSC.jpg

ARPv405.png
Firstly I am not a troll, I am trying to help you.

With this image the eyes (pupil) should be sharp, they are not they are blurred. If you focused on the eyes (as you should) they should be razor sharp, this shows your camera is front focusing...

When you say your lenses are calibrated I bet you mean with something like FoCal and the in camera micro adjust? That is not proper lens calibration, a properly calibrated lens needs no micro adjustment in camera.

Caporegime

With this image the eyes (pupil) should be sharp, they are not they are blurred. If you focused on the eyes (as you should) they should be razor sharp, this shows your camera is front focusing...

When you say your lenses are calibrated I bet you mean with something like FoCal and the in camera micro adjust? That is not proper lens calibration, a properly calibrated lens needs no micro adjustment in camera.

Show me a your sharp photo,

Caporegime
"proper lens calibration"

Lol, no no no no No! Because think of the tolerances of the sensor and lens, let’s say there is a bracket where they are within an acceptable tolerance....pick a number, say within 20 microns. Same for both. Your body might be at the -10, so if you have a lens that is perfect 0, you will forever be -10 out. You have to calibrate the lens to the body, meaning sending your entire kit to Elstree. (And they can't guarantee its dead 0, it can only be within acceptable tolerance.

What if you have 2 bodies like me? If you calibrate a lens perfect to one body, what do you do to the other one?????

You calibrate the body, you don't calibrate the lens. If you have a body at -10 and one body at -5, what figure do you calibrate your lens to?

Send it to Canon....okay....people did that in the old days when they can't micro adjust their cameras. Not anymore.

Last edited:

And

And

Associate
Spot on *thumbsup*

"proper lens calibration"

Lol, no no no no No! Because think of the tolerances of the sensor and lens, left say there is a bracket where they are within an acceptable tolerance....pick a number, say within 20 microns. Same for both. Your body might be at the -10, so if you have a lens that is perfect 0, you will forever be -10 out. You have to calibrate the lens to the body, meaning sending your entire kit to Elstree. (And they can't guarantee its dead 0, it can only be within acceptable tolerance.

What if you have 2 bodies like me? If you calibrate a lens perfect to one body, what do you do to the other one?????

You calibrate the body, you don't calibrate the lens. If you have a body at -10 and one body at -5, what figure do you calibrate your lens to?

Send it to Canon....okay....people did that in the old days when they can't micro adjust their cameras. Not anymore.

Soldato

LMAO, well played there fella I choked on my brew when I read that.

I’d better not tell the hundreds of paying clients I’ve had this year that none of my stuff is not calibrated, they’ll demand their money back and the 20 weddings I have booked for 2018 already will cancel and want their deposits back.

Hell what if I told them I bought my 70-200, 24-70 and 35mm f1.4 from ebay....OMG or that my backup D3 has a scratch on the sensor that can only be seen at f2.8 and below it would be a disaster.

Do you actually do any photography?

Soldato
Guys,I warned you to calm down a little while ago,this will stay closed until someone messages me with a photo of their new gear.
Last warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Alright, consider me converted to the Canon 35mm 1.4 II.

The Sigma Art is excellent, no doubt about that, but the canon does a few things the Sigma requires extra clicks to correct in Lightroom after, such as eliminating purple fringing/CA. It's also sharper and more accurate when using corner AF points.

Canon_35mm_1.4_L_II_sample_Emma_eye.jpg

Mighty impressed.
excellent!

Man of Honour
Huh seems I missed quite some action over the weekend in this thread lol!

It's due out soon, It's a 85/1.4L with IS. They say it is not a replacement of the 1.2 but a middle between it, the price however is only about £200 less than the 1.2, I have a feeling they are going to slowly pull the 1.2 off the market and leave the 1.4L IS as their flagship 85mm.

Ah cool, I'll keep my eyes open then. IS isn't essential, but if the lens optics are on the same level as the 35 II, then it will certainly be worth considering.

"Ride" mic

5PKvkLT.jpg

boMAM9c.jpg

cz7Nu6b.jpg

Shotgun mics are great, I had one of the Rode ones like that before and realised that whilst it’s great for keeping audio focus on the subject in front, what I really wanted was stereo/binaural audio instead to capture all the ambience at the same time, so sold it and got the Video Mic Pro which does the job.

I found turning the audio level record settings to manual, then lowering the input level to about a quarter best when used in conjunction with the gain switch on the mic itself. The noise floor is better controlled then, otherwise you end up with a louder background “hiss”.

Caporegime
Huh seems I missed quite some action over the weekend in this thread lol!

Ah cool, I'll keep my eyes open then. IS isn't essential, but if the lens optics are on the same level as the 35 II, then it will certainly be worth considering.

Shotgun mics are great, I had one of the Rode ones like that before and realised that whilst it’s great for keeping audio focus on the subject in front, what I really wanted was stereo/binaural audio instead to capture all the ambience at the same time, so sold it and got the Video Mic Pro which does the job.

I found turning the audio level record settings to manual, then lowering the input level to about a quarter best when used in conjunction with the gain switch on the mic itself. The noise floor is better controlled then, otherwise you end up with a louder background “hiss”.

It’s just for ambient noise actually, doing a little video on my Japan trip so it’s not voices of people I am after, just want a basic mic that is small. This does the job just fine, a larger mic would not be useful to me.

Re 85L IS. I would never sell the 1.2 but I think optically it can be better, certainly in the CA department as that lens is king of CA so to get a lens without would be amazing and the IS would be a cherry on top.

btw what tripod is that?!?!?!?!"?!?"!?

It’s a Dutch brand, Redged TSC-525K Carbon Fibre, weighs about 1kg and compress to 30cm. I have taken it to the peak all over the world because it fits in a messenger bag. It's perfect but 1 thing…it only goes up to 1.08m so not that tall. It has an Arca Swiss style plate with a flappy screw so you don't need a coin, even comes with a carry case.

PsUk68k.png

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s just for ambient noise actually, doing a little video on my Japan trip so it’s not voices of people I am after, just want a basic mic that is small. This does the job just fine, a larger mic would not be useful to me.

Re 85L IS. I would never sell the 1.2 but I think optically it can be better, certainly in the CA department as that lens is king of CA so to get a lens without would be amazing and the IS would be a cherry on top.

It’s a Dutch brand, Redged TSC-525K Carbon Fibre, weighs about 1kg and compress to 30cm. I have taken it to the peak all over the world because it fits in a messenger bag. It's perfect but 1 thing…it only goes up to 1.08m so not that tall. It has an Arca Swiss style plate with a flappy screw so you don't need a coin, even comes with a carry case.

PsUk68k.png
Is that just the legs?

My gitzo ways about 1kg too but that's just legs

Associate
It's a great little tripod, I bought one on Raymond's recommendation. As mentioned not particularly tall, but I always find some way to wedge it where I need it :)

One of the legs unscrews as a nice lightweight monopod too.

Caporegime
It's a great little tripod, I bought one on Raymond's recommendation. As mentioned not particularly tall, but I always find some way to wedge it where I need it :)

One of the legs unscrews as a nice lightweight monopod too.

:)

They don't make them anymore it seems!

Jonney, this was my original thread when I was doing my search.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/best-compact-travel-tripod-just.528347/

My MUST have criteria is that it folds down to 30cm. None of the big brands does, Gitzo although unbeatable for quality, the length was just too long, plus it's also £600+. The Redged was less than £200.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom