The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Caporegime
Canon still don't make a 35/1.4 RF lens....the mount is now 6+ years old? It is taking an age and that is THE lens that I would get on any system. It is THE focal length on the X100 series. Which is why I don't mind the fixed lens on the X100 and why I find the 28mm on the Leica Q not for me.

Soldato
Canon still don't make a 35/1.4 RF lens....the mount is now 6+ years old? It is taking an age and that is THE lens that I would get on any system. It is THE focal length on the X100 series. Which is why I don't mind the fixed lens on the X100 and why I find the 28mm on the Leica Q not for me.
Shocking if true. I think people should seriously look into Sony. There cameras are smaller and lighter then canon and have loads of third party lenses.

Caporegime
Shocking if true. I think people should seriously look into Sony. There cameras are smaller and lighter then canon and have loads of third party lenses.

It was rumoured to be coming out soon...article from last month. So, it's still not out or announced.

Soldato
Some basic willy waving from me. A plain old 6"er, but punches for its weight.

A6000 with kits lens. 2nd hand, unboxed, but 968 shutter count, 2 batteries, Sony charger and Sony case/bag. £300 inc.
Tamron 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3, £450, new.
Sigma 30mm F1.4 (33B965) £309, new.
Joby GorillaPod 3K - £50, new.
Sony BC-TRW UK Travel Charger - £39, new.
HangTon 5V USB to NP-FW50 DC Coupler Dummy Battery for Sony Series Camera - £17.90, new

Not had chance to test the new Sigma 30mm much yet but heres some pics. All jpg, couple cropped.

iv1WJ9ch.jpg

I2jvhFch.jpg

Tamron 18-300
unK8T25h.jpg

zRt7qxph.jpg

PiXyjwPh.jpg

avlkg9Zh.jpg

2IA3vUFh.jpg

P4nryqxh.jpg

Sigma

Didnt know my GF was taking this, turned out well :D

slk83EMh.jpg

PRdjEdSh.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

It's because for a one lens setup it seems to do everything well, whilst at the same time not being great at anything another focal length wouldn't be better at. It's the prime lens of zooms trying to do it all. In reality the perfect range would be something fast that can go slightly wider and slightly longer whilst staying on the light side and that doesn't exist. 16-30mm at 1.4 on crop for instance.

Agree 23/35 is better all purpose than 18/27 ish.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not sure where to put this...but got a new bag today.

Tenba Fulton 14L. (fits under airline seats, although not Rynair).

Only £75 from Camera World, got the All Weather version (not soft fabric version was even cheaper), the camo pattern isn't really my thing but they are not that prominent. Enough space inside to hold a X-T5 with lens attached + 4 more Fuji lenses. Or Sony body with 1 lens attached and 2 GM primes and more bits. Opens from body side. Top compartment main space for general clothing and larger item. Front pocket enough space for a 14" MBP. Side pocket for tripod/water bottle. I can't believe this is almost half the price of the Peak Design 10L. This will be my go to bad to take on the plane from now on.

HVbsTFF.jpg

lMBpnh2.jpg

4bCIX4n.jpg

bB1H9JP.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure where to put this...but got a new bag today.

Tenba Fulton 14L. (fits under airline seats, although not Rynair).

Only £75 from Camera World, got the All Weather version (not soft fabric version was even cheaper), the camo pattern isn't really my thing but they are not that prominent. Enough space inside to hold a X-T5 with lens attached + 4 more Fuji lenses. Or Sony body with 1 lens attached and 2 GM primes and more bits. Opens from body side. Top compartment main space for general clothing and larger item. Front pocket enough space for a 14" MBP. Side pocket for tripod/water bottle. I can't believe this is almost half the price of the Peak Design 10L. This will be my go to bad to take on the plane from now on.

HVbsTFF.jpg

lMBpnh2.jpg

4bCIX4n.jpg

bB1H9JP.jpg
Lovely

Caporegime
Tenba bags are superb- so well designed.

Do you know what’s my favourite bit? On the body side of the bag there is a strap going horizontal that the handle on a carry on suitcase can poke through so the bag sits on the carry on and wheel it around.

One thing I wish it had more is internal pockets inside the top compartment. I’m a big fan of internal pockets.

Soldato
Do you know what’s my favourite bit? On the body side of the bag there is a strap going horizontal that the handle on a carry on suitcase can poke through so the bag sits on the carry on and wheel it around.

One thing I wish it had more is internal pockets inside the top compartment. I’m a big fan of internal pockets.
My Kent Faith one has that strap across too. I have a Tenba mesenger bag too, they're well made!

Caporegime
New daily sling for a small camera like the X100. The Peak Design 10L is simply too big and unnecessary and honestly don't really like them so went to check out my old faithful the Wotancraft brand.

My requirement is it is small, under £100, lots of compartments, can be folded when empty into my Tenba. There are 3 main outer openings, main compartment has 4 "tabs" for objects. I also bought a velcro coin pocket thing too. there is a quick release hook for keys in the top opening which is nice.

In come the Wotancraft Cordura 3.5L.

First impression, it is enormous for 3.5L, it feels like I can fit more into this than Peak Design's 6L. it is certainly less rigid. I love the through hole for umbrella. There is a secret compartment inside there too with a zip opening on both sides.

Inner body side compartment perfect for documents like passport and money. With the exchange rate it came to £100 with the coin pocket. Around £90 without.

V6iqpGO.jpg

lURy7SC.jpg

sms36zC.jpg

kDCGcUm.jpg

oXgV0sG.jpg

Secret compartment

sLqtvER.jpg

icndeFv.jpg

Soldato
@mingeroonie - good choice!

I'm in Japan and looking in Bic Camera and other camera stores, kid in a candy store! I've been having a look at Fuji and Sony. Being able to handle the cameras and the lenses is just brilliant. One thing thats struck me is just how much smaller and lighter Sony lenses are compared to Canon! Spent quite a bit of time looking at the Sony α7R V... tempting!

Caporegime
@mingeroonie - good choice!

I'm in Japan and looking in Bic Camera and other camera stores, kid in a candy store! I've been having a look at Fuji and Sony. Being able to handle the cameras and the lenses is just brilliant. One thing thats struck me is just how much smaller and lighter Sony lenses are compared to Canon! Spent quite a bit of time looking at the Sony α7R V... tempting!

Before you buy ANY camera, make sure you can change the menu to English...some you can't, and are region specific.

Back
Top Bottom