The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
I've been using PD straps for many years now, they work very well. When I went mirrorless I changed to the Slide Lite, great strap / system. Just watch out for signs of wear and change the anchors when you see any.

I think my quest for the near perfect tripod may have come to an end? I've used a few over the years, most recently a cheaper Sirui carbon fibre for travel, which turned out to be terrible, so-called Arca Swiss but.. really not. It came close, but luckily my camera didn't hit the floor.

Took delivery of the Ulanzi Zero F38 the other day, there's a lot of hype about this tripod, and I would agree with the hype; it's good. Carbon fibre legs and the whole package is only 1.1kg with the head and packs down to 42.5cm. No twisty legs! Which I'm really happy with! The F38 quick release system is absolutely brilliant, it locks in place and there is no give in the mechanism, I'm going to get another plate for my Pocket 3. The minimalistic ball head smooth and solid. I can't really find anything I don't like at this stage. Looking forward to bringing it on my travels.

EvRtyF7.jpeg

Rg6XY8V.jpeg

Associate
Decided to give this lens a trial, as usual good price and condition from Wex used.

IMG-0600.jpg

I’ve never really used a fast lens of this range before, nearly bought the 70-200 when I used Nikon but never got it in the end.

Hoping it will be ideal for a 2 week trip to France with family later in the year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided to give this lens a trial, as usual good price and condition from Wex used.

IMG-0600.jpg

I’ve never really used a fast lens of this range before, nearly bought the 70-200 when I used Nikon but never got it in the end.

Hoping it will be ideal for a 2 week trip to France with family later in the year.
I think it’s a bit big and heavy for that sort of carry on but that’s purely personal preference.
It’s a superb lens and you won’t be disappointed that’s for sure.

Associate
I've been using PD straps for many years now, they work very well. When I went mirrorless I changed to the Slide Lite, great strap / system. Just watch out for signs of wear and change the anchors when you see any.

I think my quest for the near perfect tripod may have come to an end? I've used a few over the years, most recently a cheaper Sirui carbon fibre for travel, which turned out to be terrible, so-called Arca Swiss but.. really not. It came close, but luckily my camera didn't hit the floor.

Took delivery of the Ulanzi Zero F38 the other day, there's a lot of hype about this tripod, and I would agree with the hype; it's good. Carbon fibre legs and the whole package is only 1.1kg with the head and packs down to 42.5cm. No twisty legs! Which I'm really happy with! The F38 quick release system is absolutely brilliant, it locks in place and there is no give in the mechanism, I'm going to get another plate for my Pocket 3. The minimalistic ball head smooth and solid. I can't really find anything I don't like at this stage. Looking forward to bringing it on my travels.

EvRtyF7.jpeg

Rg6XY8V.jpeg
Liking the look of that one very much!
Been looking at a Manfroto Befree GT XPRO, but this one looks like it packs down a bit narrower.
How much did you manage top get one for if you don't mind me asking?

Soldato
Liking the look of that one very much!
Been looking at a Manfroto Befree GT XPRO, but this one looks like it packs down a bit narrower.
How much did you manage top get one for if you don't mind me asking?

Use code 302845 to get $45 off

Caporegime

EvRtyF7.jpeg

Rg6XY8V.jpeg

I just looked up the spec.

It is lighter than my Gitzo 1545 by 300g
It can hold 8kg more load (mine is only spec to 10kg)
It has clamp lock (better than twist)
It is the same size when all folded up.
It's half the price

Bargain.

The head looks a bit strange but clever design. The only thing Gitzo wins at is able to extend 4cm taller.

Last edited:
Soldato
@mingeroonie - I paid £224 for it. When I purchased it at the beginning of last month, there was a $31 off discount running. I think if you keep a look-out, you'll likely get even more off. Delivery is pretty good, takes around 7 working days, direct from Ulanzi.

I thoroughly recommend this tripod. The F38 locking mechanism is just so good, there's zero play in it. I've bought another plate for my Pocket 3 so it can easily attach to the head. The head is a little strange @Raymond Lin, when I first saw it I wasn't sure if it was even a ball head. But it's very clever design, enabling the tripod to collapse down to a very small size. Many times I've spent (wasted) money on budget tripods over the years. It's still a fair chunk of money, but to the likes of Gitzo and Peak Design, this is a very cheap price. This is the first budget tripod I've come which is actually decent. This will be coming to me to Japan.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another bit of purchasing news. I've bought new lenses, for the first time in 6 something years I think?! My first RF lenses.

After much internal thought about what to do about Canon and their infuriating ways regarding 3rd party lenses I was close to considering Fuji Film as a second camera by going for a smaller body APS-C camera for travel. I've (so far) resisted the pull of the X100VI and instead, invested in some lenses that will see me make use of my R5 on a trip to Japan.

I really love the R5, it feels great even without the grip, the buttons and wheels are in places that feel like second nature / home, the IQ and DR are great and the AF still blows me away. I am not, though, much of a fan of the weight of the EF lenses I have, specifically for travel. Especially when the required EF to RF mount is added to the R5.

Briefly:

The RF 24-105L is just incredible, it's literally the fastest focusing lens I've ever used. I have a EF 24-105L MK1, and it's a great upgrade in focusing and good upgrade in sharpness. The range is great, and I think, if I can continue to stick it out with Canon, this lenses won't ever be sold on. Perfect travel lens.

Now.. these primes.. There are compromises all over the place with these lenses. They are not optically perfect and not weather sealed, the AF speed is worlds apart using these STM driven AF motors. But the lenses are ridiculously lightweight and cheap in cost. The weird world of Canon means we have 'budget' primes like these, and then we have £2000+ primes, of course; it's still a Canon only party, and absolutely nothing in between. Sigh...

The RF 16mm 2.8 literally relies so heavily on software correction, it only becomes 16mm AFTER software correction :D.

The 28mm pancake is just so fun, it makes my R5 almost pocketable. Stop it down by a stop and it becomes very sharp. The front element is plastic, plastic! It's tiny and light, and produces very good results.

The RF 35mm 1.8 - It's so close to 28mm, I question why I wanted it. But it's 1.8 instead of 2.8, has quite decent macro capabilities and has IS. I love my EF Sigma 35mm Art, but it's double the weight of this lens and the RF produces quite comparable results IMO.

I've swallowed the compromises in favour of actually wanting to take my R5 out with me on travel. Shall see how I get on!

BVbWilN.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
@mingeroonie - I paid £224 for it. When I purchased it at the beginning of last month, there was a $31 off discount running. I think if you keep a look-out, you'll likely get even more off. Delivery is pretty good, takes around 7 working days, direct from Ulanzi.

I thoroughly recommend this tripod. The F38 locking mechanism is just so good, there's zero play in it. I've bought another plate for my Pocket 3 so it can easily attach to the head. The head is a little strange @Raymond Lin, when I first saw it I wasn't sure if it was even a ball head. But it's very clever design, enabling the tripod to collapse down to a very small size. Many times I've spent (wasted) money on budget tripods over the years. It's still a fair chunk of money, but to the likes of Gitzo and Peak Design, this is a very cheap price. This is the first budget tripod I've come which is actually decent. This will be coming to me to Japan.
Ordered one earlier :D

Caporegime
Another bit of purchasing news. I've bought new lenses, for the first time in 6 something years I think?! My first RF lenses.

After much internal thought about what to do about Canon and their infuriating ways regarding 3rd party lenses I was close to considering Fuji Film as a second camera by going for a smaller body APS-C camera for travel. I've (so far) resisted the pull of the X100VI and instead, invested in some lenses that will see me make use of my R5 on a trip to Japan.

I really love the R5, it feels great even without the grip, the buttons and wheels are in places that feel like second nature / home, the IQ and DR are great and the AF still blows me away. I am not, though, much of a fan of the weight of the EF lenses I have, specifically for travel. Especially when the required EF to RF mount is added to the R5.

Briefly:

The RF 24-105L is just incredible, it's literally the fastest focusing lens I've ever used. I have a EF 24-105L MK1, and it's a great upgrade in focusing and good upgrade in sharpness. The range is great, and I think, if I can continue to stick it out with Canon, this lenses won't ever be sold on. Perfect travel lens.

Now.. these primes.. There are compromises all over the place with these lenses. They are not optically perfect and not weather sealed, the AF speed is worlds apart using these STM driven AF motors. But the lenses are ridiculously lightweight and cheap in cost. The weird world of Canon means we have 'budget' primes like these, and then we have £2000+ primes, of course; it's still a Canon only party, and absolutely nothing in between. Sigh...

The RF 16mm 2.8 literally relies so heavily on software correction, it only becomes 16mm AFTER software correction :D.

The 28mm pancake is just so fun, it makes my R5 almost pocketable. Stop it down by a stop and it becomes very sharp. The front element is plastic, plastic! It's tiny and light, and produces very good results.

The RF 35mm 1.8 - It's so close to 28mm, I question why I wanted it. But it's 1.8 instead of 2.8, has quite decent macro capabilities and has IS. I love my EF Sigma 35mm Art, but it's double the weight of this lens and the RF produces quite comparable results IMO.

I've swallowed the compromises in favour of actually wanting to take my R5 out with me on travel. Shall see how I get on!

Is this your first time travelling with the R5 or a "large" DSLR? It can't be surely.

I would put the 35mm on most of the time and it'll be just fine.

Soldato
Is this your first time travelling with the R5 or a "large" DSLR? It can't be surely.

I would put the 35mm on most of the time and it'll be just fine.
It's not the first time. I used to travel with 5D3 and 5D4, but I'd weigh myself down with lenses that weigh 1kg, then just add more in the backpack! I'm my own worst enemy for it.

Soldato

Briefly:

This is my major gripe with Canon and ultimately one of the reasons I moved completely to Fujifilm after a couple of years of using both. Being with Canon is like one long big sell to get you onto their L glass which, I fully admit, is outstanding. But their amateur/consumer/prosumer line up is very weak - both in quantity and quality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom