The new Samsung Odyssey G9 Mini Led

Associate
Yeah. Second G9 Neo without dust out of 15. Rev. CB02 firmware 1006 preinstalled is still making popping and sizzeling sounds. Up to 45 minutes after starting, if it was 1-2 or more hours in standby or off.

I have used it for nearly two weeks now. No improvement.

The only reason for waiting with returning is the fact that there are no other monitors with this features (especially high ldz count) and it was very hard to get one without dust or/and pixel failures and less pronounced yellow, horizontal lines.

But i think i will have no choice if i wont sit on a buggy monitor and lose a lot money if im reselling it a few month later when there are alternatives.

By the way CSOT the panel manufacturer of G9 Neo panels is doing the same **** for notebook displays. I tested a Lenovo Legion 7 with RTX 3080 16 gb, 32 gb ram, 2 tb nvme ssd, retail price 2799 Euros. It has one pixel failure and a lot dust inside the panel or below the ag coating. I stopped counting when i found more than 4 inclusions.

This panel manufacturer is absolutely crap.

Associate
I was sorely tempted by the G9 and neo but even after new revisions it's clear that the community have spoken. Even if the monitor received is ok, I have my doubts that it will stay this way. My attention is now drawn to the aw3821dw which appears to be manufactured more robustly.

Associate
Beside all problems mentioned above. I think the main problem (remember hdr is the main selling point) with this monitor is the local dimming for hdr. The dimming algorithm is to slow and makes worse decisions. I played shadow of the tomb raider for a while. I've played it on Oled CX/C1 and PG35VQ. Never experienced problems like this.

You see on G9 Neo many times the dimming algorithm slowly or abrupt decreasing the brightness of the same light source. It looks so crappy. Wtf? In many situations the black crush is enormous. Many details get lost or heavily dimmed.

Also i have seen when hdr is turned on, vertical, bright stripes, like vertical, wide scanlines in the area of the crosshair. I have seen this on 144 hz tn monitors with auo panels years ago. It's called pixel inversion.

The biggest problem i have is. You can return the G9 Neo. But you have to buy a interim monitor until QD-Oled etc. got released. The AW3423DW with G-Sync Ultimate modul is likely to have a noticeable fan like the AW3821DW, so it's maybe also ****. So you have to go back to Edge Led :(. I wont pay 1000 Euros or much more (up to 1500 Euros) for edge led crap.

Edit:

In addition it's flickering many times (bright flash) + some black screens for a second. I saw also a lot washed out textures. It looks in terms of colors like a tn panel there.

I will send it back. This product is massively flawed, not useable and not worth 2000 Euros or more.

Edit 2:

Watched some hdr video content i watched on PG35VQ. Lol. Firmware 1008 hdr ist still to dimm, also in oversaturated dynamic hdr mode. The PG35VQ looks like x times brighter.

Glad i tested all things before 30 days return period is over.

Sometimes you think, the G9 Neo is really bright and nice, but most the time, beside from some minor hdr highlights its very dimm and color are washed out or way too much oversaturated.

Edit 3:

Ok, the brightness fluctuation, black screens and most of the flickering is reason of automatically reseted options within the osd.

The reason for this problems is the "dynamic brightness". I turned it off and it's gone. I don't understand why this monitor resets some of the options by itself. It was turned off.

I find this monitor still annoying. Especially because of the scanlines which i have seen in some videos on youtube yesterday. I'm sitting 75 cm away and see horizontal line artifacts. If you would sit closer i would see the scan lines on nearly every content.

I tottaly understand why people are annoyed by this scan lines. They are affecting every Samsung VA type panels (yep, its likely made by csot, but it's Samsung tech/construction).
Some people think it's a defect which could be repaired :D. So they order panel swap or new monitors *facepalm*.

You cant get sva panel without scanlines. I've seen them over years. From 2016 on 100 hz sva C34F791 up to G9 Neo.

Edit 4:

I found out why this monitor is unuseable and returning is unavoidable.

I watched yesterday more hdr content and saw again many artefacts. At video content its flickering with artefacts (black vertical lines withhin the preview window at the bottom) if you fast forward on youtube. It's also flickering if you use auto hdr mode. Than you get bright light flickering. I think it's because of changing between local dimming and no local dimming.

But beside the graphical artefacts which are heavily annoying.

The biggest fail of this monitor is something else.

The hdr performance. As i said sometimes hdr highlights are pretty bright compared to the baseline which is pretty dimm. But the colors are wired, mostly washed out or very oversaturated and wrong.

I have watched the same hdr video content (hdr movies and gameplay content) on the G9 Neo and Ipad Pro 2021 12.9" with 2600 mini led zones and up to 1600 nits.

It's really eye opening, if you see that. Because you see how hdr should look. Colors and hdr highlights are another universe compared with G9 Neo. No oversaturating, very realistic colors and very good hdr brightness.

If Samsung is releasing the same crap with 5120 dimming zones or in terms of the G8 you shouldn't buy it.

For me this G9 Neo looks like a HDR 400 - 500 monitor most of the time with very bad dimming algorithm. Sometimes it's pushing some hdr highlights with around 600-800 nits :D.

2000-2200 Euros :D. They are lucky that most people haven't the comparison between real lcd hdr displays and G9 Neo.

If you want a good hdr monitor, you have to wait for AW3423DW (with fan) or something else with miniled ips (with real hdr 1000 or better 1400).

Sadly there will be no other choice for a year i fear.

Last edited:
Associate
If anyones interested there’s 10% off these with code. GAMING10OFF Plus the price has been reduced by £100 plus with Quidco you get a further 5.5% off. Basically just paid £1487.53 which seems a bit more reasonable than £1850

Last edited:
Associate
anyone with the Neo G9 that uses an Nvidia / 240hz / HDR on desktop tell me if there GPU memory stays at max hz even on desktop?

Mine only idles down if I run the monitor @ 120hz / HDR

This used to be a Nvidia driver bug that I have not seen for a while but it seems to have reared its ugly head. I have tried older drivers and it still does it... I am guessing the Nvidia algorithm seems to think such a high res / high refresh and HDR needs the memory running at max.

Soldato
Bad news bump!

I don't have one but this is worrying:

TLDW: thermal cycling appears to be cracking these monitors and Samsung are botching or ignoring customer concerns.

Popping noises were reported ab initio on this very thread two years ago.

Soldato
I have a G9 Neo, had it about 6 months and used weekly 10+ hrs, not had any issues. No banding, popping.…. Latest firmware causes some issues with local dimmining on the desktop so reverted back to the previous. Cost a lot but then so do graphics cards.

Associate
Where did things get to with this monitor now we're in 2024? hopefully build quality improved and firmware sorted out the gremlins.

Now that you can get one new for under £1200 is it worth any irritations that remain?

Associate
I have had my G9 Neo for coming up to 3 years now. I'm very happy with it. Other than the single stuck-on blue pixel near the corner which I only really notice when the PC shuts down, just before the monitor goes to sleep, the only "defects" I notice are: 1) It can get the thermal popping in winter when my home office is cold - but it doesn't last too long and I'm used to it; 2) very occasionally (a few times a year max) the monitor brightness gets stuck which is fixed with a reboot. I paid £1850 for mine so if they are less than £1200 now and there's nothing better on the market then I'd say it is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom