The next Conservative Leader thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
[TW]Fox;29767294 said:
These pro-Brexit politicians do love to give up and run off once given a chance of implementing what they campaigned for don't they..

Hahaha
Are any of them actually left? Just Corbyn, and he was a sleeper agent left in the remain campaign, potentially the most useful of the lot.

Associate
How is she any more unelected than David Cameron?

Well he completed the Conservative leadership process and won after the membership voted, which is at least a little more complete than everyone else withdrawing before the membership gets a vote.

Shes been elected by 165 out of 310 odd MPs, which I grant is a majority but its hardly the most upstanding version of democracy is it?

Man of Honour
Can you explain to us how Democracy works in our election system ?

He just did? He's completely right.

We have a representative parliamentary system whereby we elect an MP to represent us. The party with the most elected MP's forms the government and the leader of that party is the PM. That is how it works.

Therefore the only out of the ordinary thing that has happened is asking us lot to decide whether the EU was right or not... ;)

Soldato
Presumably all the Brexiters who banged on and on about lack of democracy in the EU are perfectly happy that we will have an unelected PM?

And that not one of the leading Brexiteers has the guts to hang around and oversee the forthcoming clusterf**k?

#Takebackcontrol.

We elect MPs, they can choose whatever they like, they do this reasonably regularly, change if PM during a parlimentary term is not uncommon, and it is why we vote for candidates and parties, not the man or woman in charge.
Is we were the US you might have a point, thankfully we are not.

How do people not understand this?

Man of Honour
Well he completed the Conservative leadership process and won after the membership voted, which is at least a little more complete than everyone else withdrawing before the membership gets a vote.

Shes been elected by 165 out of 310 odd MPs, which I grant is a majority but its hardly the most upstanding version of democracy is it?

I agree the situation seems bizarre but I'm not sure what else they can do?

There is nobody left in the contest. If Portugal walked off the pitch last night then France would have won.

Associate
[TW]Fox;29767374 said:
I agree the situation seems bizarre but I'm not sure what else they can do?

There is nobody left in the contest. If Portugal walked off the pitch last night then France would have won.

Im not decrying the process, its more pointing out that given the self righteous posturing about the EU's percieved lack of democracy from the Leave camp that we now how a PM who has been elected by 165 MPs.

Soldato
Wow, do any politicians have a spine left?

They are complete cowards and I will bet that when the brexit **** has finally finished blowing apart the current state of British politics they will all crawl back out of the woodwork and try to make a name for themselves once again.

As someone else mentioned every brexit politicisn has pretty much bolted now they need to deliver, you can bet they will now sit on the sidelines and snipe at the remainders who are left to clear up their monumental **** up.

From one point of view it is pretty amazing to see such active, engaging politics right now where the whole landscape is changing before our eyes. However it is equally sad to see everyone running for cover rather than stepping up and dealing with things and making the hard decisions.

Man of Honour
Leadsom was never going to be and will never be the leader of the Tories. She has far too many skeletons in the closet and is about as subtle as a house brick.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29767366 said:
He just did? He's completely right.

We have a representative parliamentary system whereby we elect an MP to represent us. The party with the most elected MP's forms the government and the leader of that party is the PM. That is how it works.

Therefore the only out of the ordinary thing that has happened is asking us lot to decide whether the EU was right or not... ;)

It was more of a loaded question, I wouldn't say what we have is democracy with the first past the post etc.

We have a government in charge which only 28% of the country voted for

Man of Honour

This is because:

a) Many people cannot be bothered to vote and therefore do not. This is why it's unlikely you will ever the majority of the country to vote for one specific thing, be that a political party or leaving/remaining the EU

b) Our system offers more than just two parties - so again, it's very unlikely one party alone can clean up more than half of the vote. There is simply too much choice for that.

If we had only two parties you might see more support for either party but is that what you'd want?

Soldato
I am going to vote Labour in the next election regardless.

The way ALL of the lead figures in the Conservative party have gone into hiding and shunned duty to their country is alarming.

Never in a million years would I expect to be thinking that way.

I am moderately Conservative in principles, but part of that is taking responsibility for your actions. This lot have done a runner.

Soldato
It was more of a loaded question, I wouldn't say what we have is democracy with the first past the post etc.

The alternative is a European system of compromise where no one gets a majority and pretty much every government is made up of clunky coalitions which is defined by behind door deals and compromise with very little getting achieved.

We've had that once and it was a charming success, you will never get a majority running the country when most people don't exercise the right to vote in the first place and true representative democracy will equal coalition meaning you won't get what you want anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom