The next Conservative Leader thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
FTSE 100 dropped...we Remainers told you so!

FTSE100 Recover a few days later...we Remainers say you should look at the FTSE250 which is more about uk companies.

FTSE250 recovers a couple of weeks later...we Remainers say you should look at the value of the pound which is still down on where it was on June 23rd.

What will they say when the pound recovers?

"Happy New Year! Here's to 2019!" :D

Soldato
The Lib Dems are having fun with their 404 page.

:D

TBH I can't see calls for an election gathering steam. Yes, we probably should have one. But the Tories won't want one - they have power. Labour don't want one - too much infighting. The Lib Dems would love one, but they have too small a voice. The Scots have just had one, and UKIP are leaderless and directionless. I guess the Greens would be up for it? So nine MPs, plus a few outliers and rebels, would be in favour of holding a GE (actually, maybe 10+ as Douglas Carswell could escape UKIP if we had an election).

Last edited:
Caporegime
TBH I can't see calls for an election gathering steam. Yes, we probably should have one. But the Tories won't want one - they have power. Labour don't want one - too much infighting. The Lib Dems would love one, but they have too small a voice. The Scots have just had one, and UKIP are leaderless and directionless. I guess the Greens would be up for it? So nine MPs, plus a few outliers and rebels.

Labour will call for one, because they know it is politically damaging for Theresa May not to have one, despite the fact that Brown behaved in exactly the same way in 2007 and that there is arguably more reason to hold one now than there was then.

I don't see the Tories calling one though, not a lot of chance of gain, a lot of risk of harm and - as it is - they've got four years of power to lose. However, if Labour really does split, they might well call when and enjoy an extra 50-60 seats as a result.

Soldato
Labour will call for one, because they know it is politically damaging for Theresa May not to have one, despite the fact that Brown behaved in exactly the same way in 2007 and that there is arguably more reason to hold one now than there was then.

I don't see the Tories calling one though, not a lot of chance of gain, a lot of risk of harm and - as it is - they've got four years of power to lose. However, if Labour really does split, they might well call when and enjoy an extra 50-60 seats as a result.

I'm not convinced. I expect this spat over the Labour leadership to carry on for the rest of the year, leaving Labour incapable of doing much. I can't see it resolving itself peacefully unless Corbyn loses the ballot (highly unlikely). If Corbyn wins, expect defections, resignations and reselections. If he's kept off the ballot, a legal challenge, ground-up rebellions within CLPs from the influx of new members, and possibly a split in to two parties (with at least some of the Unions following Corbyn out).

If Corbyn calls for a General Election, it will be an empty call, based on the assumption that the Tories will oppose the idea, rather than because Labour is ready to fight an election.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Out of interest is every news site trying to make May look evil? The only images they ever seem to show of her are from slightly above. An odd angle.

maybe, but they'll do that with any politician with a dodgy look

Jack Straw looks a bit like the Daemon Headmaster (kids TV program)

Caporegime
pound is up again today

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-for-third-day-as-may-prepares-to-take-office

The pound climbed the most since the day of Britain’s European Union referendum as Home Secretary Theresa May prepared to take over as the U.K.’s next prime minister, removing one layer of political uncertainty.
Sterling rose to its highest level in a week versus the dollar as investors digested the implications of the new premiership on the U.K.’s negotiations with the EU over its withdrawal from the bloc.

(for people who seem to be interested in short term movements)

(disclaimer before anyone decides to attack a perceived/imaginary personal view - this is a comment, it is simply a factual comment and you are welcome to comment on it with your own arbitrary facts, however I'm not putting forth a personal view in commenting on this and as far as my personal view is concerned I wouldn't be too confident in further gains unless we start getting warm noises from Brussels and/or May saying things they want to hear... since there is a likely rate cut coming soon. I'm simply commenting on today's move. I'm also aware of where it was previously and have seen charts etc..etc..) :)

Soldato
pound is up again today

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-for-third-day-as-may-prepares-to-take-office

(for people who seem to be interested in short term movements)

(disclaimer before anyone decides to attack a perceived/imaginary personal view - this is a comment, it is simply a factual comment and you are welcome to comment on it with your own arbitrary facts, however I'm not putting forth a personal view in commenting on this and as far as my personal view is concerned I wouldn't be too confident in further gains unless we start getting warm noises from Brussels and/or May saying things they want to hear... since there is a likely rate cut coming soon. I'm simply commenting on today's move. I'm also aware of where it was previously and have seen charts etc..etc..) :)

what do you think they are betting on ? Soft exit (EEA) of full out ?

Caporegime
what do you think they are betting on ? Soft exit (EEA) of full out ?

I wouldn't like to guess too much, I think the important thing is simply that the uncertainty of who the leader will be is over + it is someone who is not Leadsom! :) It is only a small move upwards in the grand scheme of things and it generally isn't a good idea to assign a narrative to the market as a whole beyond simply observing that there seems to have been a reaction to that particular news event.

Obviously I think some sort of EEA- or Canadian deal is considered more likely under May.

Associate
I'm not convinced. I expect this spat over the Labour leadership to carry on for the rest of the year, leaving Labour incapable of doing much. I can't see it resolving itself peacefully unless Corbyn loses the ballot (highly unlikely). If Corbyn wins, expect defections, resignations and reselections. If he's kept off the ballot, a legal challenge, ground-up rebellions within CLPs from the influx of new members, and possibly a split in to two parties (with at least some of the Unions following Corbyn out).

If Corbyn calls for a General Election, it will be an empty call, based on the assumption that the Tories will oppose the idea, rather than because Labour is ready to fight an election.

I agree. From Labour's point of view, the last thing they need is a general election. All that would do is shine a massive spotlight on their vast internal divisions, and see them throw even more bricks at each other (just like they already have done, at Angela Eagle's constituency office yesterday). Left-Wing violence and thuggishness. Therefore the call for a general election from Labour is a bit daft because it is so hollow. The Lib Dems want an election also? Remind me, who are they again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom