The Next Time You Eat Chicken

Soldato
Since when was empathy natural, or ever occurred in nature?

And don't use the argument that humans are "above" nature and evolved empathy through intelligence and conciousness because that will backfire on you; if you say we're above animals in that way, then you are conceding that we are concious of our actions/feelings in a way animals are not - in which case the animals don't know what is happening to them.

Well considering we are part of nature and can experience empathy then it would appear to be quite natural, also many animals show signs of empathy and care for their young and sometimes others of their species, so whats your point exactly?

An animals level of intelligence means nothing in this argument, it doesn't affect sensory perceptions of pain and suffering.

not everyone thinks the same way as you

I don't think too much how an animal is treated before it ends up on my plate, and to be honest I don't care a great deal until I read or see some examples of poorly treated animals, then I feel a bit sorry for them but by the next day this is forgotten and I go back to eating meat again without a care in the world

Not many may think about it too much but thats because their not exposed to it every time they eat, i just think if its done it should be far less and without suffering, give the animals a reasonable quality of life, nature doesn't confine them, the end may often be bad in nature but they do get a chance at actually living freely and we have the means to do it better.

Permabanned
An animals level of intelligence means nothing in this argument, it doesn't affect sensory perceptions of pain and suffering.
Animals feel pain, they don't "suffer". They don't think "Ohh my life has been one endless torment", like we would if we experienced a life of hurt. A second to a dog is forever, and forever is a second.

Well considering we are part of nature and can experience empathy then it would appear to be quite natural, also many animals show signs of empathy and care for their young and sometimes others of their species, so whats your point exactly?
Not where food is concerned. Think how savagely lions, tigers, crocodiles and sharks attack and kill their prey. This is not keeping a dog just to beat up; this is immoral and pointless on different levels. But this is food, and we need a lot of it as efficiently as possible - or we die out.

If there was a dire food shortage and people were dieing, all because we hadn't developed the means of intensive industrial farming, you wouldn't be whining about having empathy towards animals then, I'm sure.

Btw, as far as the video is concerned - it is actually 'ok' for chicks to be bundled about like this. At this age their skeletal structure isn't at all well formed, and is only slightly stronger than a jelly. At most they'll feel distress by not having feet on the ground, or having a sensation of falling.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Life is to short for cheap coffee and even more so cheap meat. I want to know the name of my chicken and I want to know the make of bed he slept on, the brand of wood used in his house, the make of plasma on his wall and the size of land he had to roam around in. Then i'll eat him of course but at least I know he had a good life while he was getting ready for my knife and fork. I won't eat eggs as they are simply chicken dump passed off as food and are in fact the food of Satan up there with cucumber!

Soldato
Animals feel pain, they don't "suffer". They don't think "Ohh my life has been one endless torment", like we would if we experienced a life of hurt. A second to a dog is forever, and forever is a second.

To that and the rest my point still stands, also....

Dictionary:
suffer, -fered, -fer·ing, -fers.

1. To feel pain or distress; sustain loss, injury, harm, or punishment.
2. To tolerate or endure evil, injury, pain, or death.
3. To undergo or sustain (something painful, injurious, or unpleasant)

k3v

k3v

Associate
watching these sort of videos stopped me eating meat, the combination of mass production and the fact that I could not personally kill a chicken (unless starving) has made me a veggie for the last 20 months, i'm not even keen on veg either!! mmmmm lentils

Permabanned

Dictionary:

I've had a job in one of those places for Aprox. 45 minutes, after they come out of that machine to seperate them from the shell they go down the conveyor belt into crates to be sexed, then they get thrown down tubes into seperate crates. sometimes they miss the tube and are walking around on the floor, occasionally being stepped on and then the sexed crates get stacked on top of eachother. as you put one crate on top of the other some of them peek over the edge and get their necks crushed and you see them dying.

Caporegime
If some aliens came and did this to us....lol just imagine.
Just cuz we didnt seem as intelligent.. its kinda harsh

Have you ever played "Prey"? It's pretty much identical to kfc.

It's so easy just to make stuff up and ignore scientific studies isn't it?

Last edited:
Permabanned

Dictionary:

I took that by "suffering" you meant consciously and emotionally suffering due to the pain perceived. If you didn't mean that, then why did you say "pain and suffering"? Cut the smart act ;)

Soldato
I took that by "suffering" you meant consciously and emotionally suffering due to the pain perceived. If you didn't mean that, then why did you say "pain and suffering"? Cut the smart act ;)

Well who's to say to what extent they perceive it but any prolonged pain/distress quickly turns suffering.

Also in case anyone wasn't sure i've been talking about animals in general.

Permabanned
That video only shows the hatchery once they leave there things change drastically and productivity becomes more important and is where most of the mistreatment and inconsideration happens.

Back
Top Bottom