The **Now Drinking** Thread

Caporegime
hitmebaby.jpg

...actually on coffee now but couldn't resist it :D

Soldato
I hit up the new Brewdog bar in Manchester this week. Was pretty good, although expensive. The funniest thing was that, despite the 'punk' image, 95% of the dudes in there were yuppies in suits.

They had a thing at their opening event last week where you brought in cans of normal lager, threw one (literally, there was a target) into the bin and got a Brewdog beer in exchange.

Also, currently drinking: Duvel.

The punk image is just that. If you ever meet the owners, you'll find them to be as unpunk as you can imagine. Though, the headbrewer is kind of punkesq I suppose. It's not massively expensive, if you stick to the stuff available in pints. It's a bit over what you'd pay for a Carling/Bud sort of thing, but the beers are much more expensive to make. Some of the stuff (especially in bottles) is obscenely priced though.

Interestingly, I got some Sierra Nevada for my boyfriend when I saw it, on the advice of people here (probably you Ahleckz) - he thought it was awful, was surprised as everyone I've seen mention it on here thought it was great.

He went to the local beer shop yesterday and came back with:

- Timmerman's peach beer (had never tried it before, he wasn't that keen but I liked it)
- Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter
- Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo (he didn't think it was worth the £6.99 :eek: pricetag)
- Samuel Smith's Old Brewery Pale Ale
- Acorn Brewery Barnsley Bitter
- Bath Ales' 'Gem' (this is his absolute favourite beer, can get hold of it at the big Sainsburys near us but a bit harder to get hold of up here in Yorkshire, you tend to only see their Golden Hare and Barnsey).

I'm currently drinking a mug of Yorkshire tea.

If he's used to English ales and bitter then I could see how the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale would be a bit too hoppy and flavoursome for him. It's pretty sour/bitter (though it's stupidly sweet compared to some lambic's I've had!) which can be a bit of a shock to some.

Don't get me wrong, none of the above is a criticism. I mentioned it before on here, but beer is great because you can get something for everyone. If it doesn't fit with your palate, that's cool - just try something else. As long as people are prepared to give unusual beers a go then I'm happy!

On topic - Just having a cheeky G&T! Been shopping with my mother all day, been stressful!

Soldato
American ales and especially IPAs seem very well layered, they blend and mix even bold flavors with some finesse, drinking only local ale is noble but realy you only do your self an injustice.

If I find one I like I'll drink it. Never tried some of the ones mentioned here so will keep an eye out. I always come back to local as I like 'em, it's not all I drink though!

Beer wise I quite like Doom Bar of late, although I prefer it in the pub to drinking at home. I've got say though, their 20L case is tempting for the summer! :D

Soldato
Last can of 'bow, had to make room for this lot that I'll be trying later:

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Blue Moon
Innis & Gunn Original and Rum finish
Peroni Gran Riserva
Quilmes
and some Duvel as I haven't had any in ages...

Soldato
Do tell us what the Peroni is like Rojin. I don't rate their common lager in the slightest, but that seems a bit more interesting. I shall reserve judgement on the other beers until after you've sampled!

Duvel only gets better with age ;).

Just a Tennent's for me. Just spent £100 on academic books, need a drink and a lie down!

Soldato
This week my coffee is the Hasbean Bolivian Bolinda Illimani.... Not too bad at all and I think I've over done the caffeine today!

I did try the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale last night, it's quite hoppy and has a lot going on. I need to have a few more bottles to make my mind up on that one. The Blue Moon is a stupidly easy to drink beer, it's not bursting with flavour hits and is pretty mellow but it goes down so easy and is quite refreshing.

Soldato
Coffee here.

Though I had a Augustiner Bräu, though can't recall the name of the specific beer, a Hopfenkönig Eggenberg and some Belgian beer which I've also forgotten the name of, at lunchtime earlier on. All pretty nice!

Soldato
I miss the days of working in an office and grabbing a pint for lunch, when you're working from home it just seems wrong!

Just tried the Peroni Gran Riserva, it's got more to it than the standard stuff. Quite malty with a hoppy/bitter aftertaste. I think it would get a bit sickly sweet after a few bottles though. It's okay and I might pick it up again if on offer.

Soldato
Onto the Innis and Gunn rum finish. I wasn't too sure about this so only bought the one bottle, it's not too bad at all. The rum finish doesn't overpower although it is quite a sweet beer. I could put a few of these away quite happily :)

Soldato
Chimay Red, out of my favourite Leffe glass. Is it wrong to have a favourite glass? :/
The beer is lovely, nice big creamy head on pour and the beer has a stupidly silky kind of taste. It seems to almost coat the tongue afterwards. Bit of bitterness which is good, and a fruity nose. I'm getting apricots. 7%, which isn't too bad. Doesn't taste like it.

I just did not get on with that Innis and Gunn stuff. Tried a few of their beers and just not to my taste. Don't tend to like barrel aged beers.
I saw the Peroni Gran Riserva in the bar I was in earlier, and considered it but thought I'd hold off until seeing what you had to say. I'll check in the supermarket and see if I can get hold of a bottle. I like malty and hoppy!

Soldato
Chimay red? Never heard of that 'un.

I'm on the standard Innis and Gunn, and I think I prefer the Rum finish. I wish I had bought more than one bottle of that to compare.

The Peroni isn't a strong malty/hoppy taste, it's nowhere near the level Sierra Nevada P.A.

Soldato
Hoegaarden Grand Cru. I'm not a big fan of the normal Hoegaarden, too sweet and fruity for my liking. However, this is pretty good (95 on Rate Beer, which is a bit high in my opinion). Sure, it's fruity (it's Hoegaarden!) but it's a bit more citrusy than the normal stuff. It's 8.5% and has a bit more of a kick than the Chimay. However, it's bottle conditioned (something I didn't realize before the pour!) so that may account for the more brutal alcohol hit. It's not bad, for Hoegaarden.

You've heard of Chimay though, I trust? :o

Yea, figured it wouldn't be as hoppy as that. Not a lot of beers are!

Edit - This Grand Cru has really grown on me actually. It's nowhere as sweet and fruity as the normal stuff and is actually a really good beer. The alcohol has come through strongly in effect (not in taste - a sign of a good, mid to high strength beer (let's ignore Brewdog's stuff when judging what a high strength beer is). I'm unsure how easy it is to get over here (almost impossible, I'd wager) but if you see it and like the fruity beers (non lambics) then give it a go.

Speaking of lambics, thinking about opening a raspberry one next. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom