The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Our recipe sounds very similar to yours @Glaucus. On it's own I don't much like Franks hit sauce but it does indeed make a great base for other sauces.

We never bother with celery but always have blue cheese dip. Lots and lots of blue cheese dip.

Associate
Made something that my grandad calls "opera sandwich" for dinner tonight. When I was a kid he used to make them for supper for me whenever he was cooking.

It is just a slice of toast with a burger and an egg on top of it. It didnt taste the same as I remembered (probably because you cant get the same bread in the uk and the mince wasn't from the butchers) but it was still great!

Man of Honour
nachos are meant to have a chilli kick as is nacho cheese and evaporated milk has a good boy for cheese sauce. I have made evaporated milk mac and cheese before and it has an extremely good texture, in fact its better than roux based texture, little o the sweet side for that use though.

So no I don't see an issue, and Kenji knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
yes the serious eats recipe has problems for me, firstly sweet as you say Glaucus, evap 6% sugar by weight, but maybe to USA taste.
but if you use cornflour, need to cook it out for >5mins otherwise it is chalky,
plus would not add cheese early on and boil that too, not sure you ever want to boil cheese, just melt in <100C.
I try and avoid boiling for mac'n but not easy to avoid for lasagne, worst case it splits, but maybe that depends on the cheese ?

Man of Honour
corn four and the extra milk protein stops it splitting so that isn't an issue and I'm not sure the sweetness is an issue either, this isn't mac and cheese, franks is 99% vinegar and with all the other flavour and ingredients in nachos.

Associate
Made this tonight:

Duck Breast, fondant potato, red cabbage and a red wine sauce

36611685882_208b9906f9_c.jpg

Soldato
Had lunch in Glasgow today. Went to a place for the first time called.... I hope chat doesn't filter this... Fanny Trollopes. Bizarre name, but good food!

vEcexA.jpg

Starter was a goats cheese soufflé with chilli jam and fennel salad. Really tasty soufflé and the chilli jam had a nice kick of heat to it without being overpowering :)

oNSuMc.jpg

Main course was pan seared pork fillet with a apple, leek and black pudding sausage roll, buttery mash, parma ham crisp and calvados lyonnaise. Loved this! The pork was perfect. The sausage roll went with it really well. The mash and the parma ham crisp were both nice too! :)

B4dcGf.jpg

And for dessert I had lime and ginger crème brûlée with cumin shortbread, along with a glass of muscat dessert wine. Lovely and creamy :D

Soldato
Having some excellent food in Copenhagen. Not the gastronomic delights nor typically Scandinavian but great food and beer!

yqN7vEsl.jpg

xyjysF2l.jpg

Ay4WuNul.jpg

First and last were fantastic. Middle one average but still nice .

Man of Honour
beef ribs, nice.

what's in the bag?

new Chinese opened up and they deliver. Never seen it before but they had a salt and pepper munch box. it was fantastic. chips (which were actually really nice), salt and pepper wings and ribs(both nice and crispy and tasty) chicken balls(fine) and topped with that spring onion, chilli, garlic mix thing and got a side of satay sauce with it. Now absolutely stuff and feeling a bit ill.
I hope after a while they don't start cutting corners.

Soldato
Yep. Beef ribs and schezuan chicken wings. With two sides.
If you like BBQ and/or beer you have to go to Warpigs in Copenhagen.

dKqaFHml.jpg

My friend had the burnt end beans, potato salad, brisket and pork shoulder which was also excellent.

Back
Top Bottom