The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Had lunch today at Six by Nico. It was a 6 course tasting menu for £25, with an optional extra "snack" course for £5. They also had a wine pairing for £25, but I decided not to go for this. The theme for the meal was "route 66", so all kinda American themed dishes.

evKpWJ.jpg

The snack course. Peanut butter milkshake, nachos, corndogs and sourdough bread with whipped butter. Nice little combination :)

MausZZ.jpg

Chicargo - Crispy tart with trapanese pesto, goats cheese, chorizo & olive tapenade. Though I would hate this, cause it had caramalised onions in it, but the other flavours cancelled out the onion taste, which for me is great.

sVfxmr.jpg

Great Plains - Buffalo Mozzarella, tomato essence and basil oil. A tasty little dish. the broth/oil it was floating in was actually kinda fruity.

TfXXsn.jpg

American Diner - Chickpea pancake with maple syrup, mayonnaise and gaunciale (pork cheek). This was a good dish. The flavours all worked really well together, especially the pork and the pancake.

RYipbn.jpg

Texas - 24 hour barbeque brisket, chilli bon bon, sweetcorn puree. This was the best dish hands down for me. Loved the brisket. Loved the bon bon. Loved everything else. Honestly my only gripe about this dish is that I wish it had been a bigger portion. They could at least have given 2 bon bon's...

JU0GRi.jpg

New Mexico - sea bream taco, guacamole, pickled chilli and lime. Considering I'm not a big fan of seafood dishes, this one was pretty nice. The sea bream was well cooked. Had a nice crispy skin and tender flesh.

D9qwG6.jpg

California - The final dessert course was lemon tart with orange espuma and red wine sorbet. This was really refreshing for the palate and I really liked the red wine sorbet with it.

All in all a very nice meal. Service was a bit slow perhaps. The whole meal took close to 2 hours to get through. But for £25 a head I think that's seriously good value for money. The theme they do changes every 6 weeks, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the next theme will be :)

Last edited:
Soldato
£6? It was £30 :eek: (actually £38.50, £5 for the aperitif and £3.50 for a bottle of mineral water)

My table was next to a window. Some of the time it was cloudy, but after the first couple of courses the sun came out and light was shining right on my table. The extra light didn't help. Seems to make it harder for the phone to focus properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Spent most of the day out in Glasgow today with a friend. Lovely day. We were at the Botanics gardens, Kelvingrove art gallery and the transport museum, plus spending some time going round the West side. We were out for nearly 12 hours! We had dinner at a Vietnamese place called Hanoi Bike Shop.

S06xMv.jpg

We split a side order of prawn crackers and some peanut & chilli dip. The dip was soooooo good!

Rha2KA.jpg

qz2x7j.jpg

We both got a couple of dishes each. I went with the crispy pork spring rolls and chilli glazed pork and crispy rice cakes. Both really nice. Spicy, but not too spicy.

7YurMe.jpg

We both had the panna cotta for dessert, flavoured with orange blossom and... I think cinnamon? Can't remember 100%. Was very good anyway. :D

Last edited:
Permabanned
Not entirely relevant, but my parents went to Girona and ended up in 'El Celler de Can Roca' which is meant to be one of the best restaurants in the world.

They showed me the menu on there return, looked very nice indeed. Though when they told me how much they paid (close to £400 each which includes the wine flight) I nearly passed out. I could never justify that in my head. Different strokes though, I guess.

Permabanned
Bloody hell! Was it a tasting menu or set courses? Did they take any pics? :eek:

Tasting menu as far as I could tell. All looked exceptionally well put together from what I could see.

I'll wrestle my dads camera off him and post the pics here when I can :)

Though, if I'm being honest, the layout and general look of the restaurant seemed massively tacky to me. One part of the menu was served on a giant globe with food skewered into the appropriate continents... maybe I'm just a philistine xD

Caporegime
Not entirely relevant, but my parents went to Girona and ended up in 'El Celler de Can Roca' which is meant to be one of the best restaurants in the world.

They showed me the menu on there return, looked very nice indeed. Though when they told me how much they paid (close to £400 each which includes the wine flight) I nearly passed out. I could never justify that in my head. Different strokes though, I guess.

£400 per head?!

Soldato
The best curry I have ever made! Better than any restaurant curry I have had. I think its down to the base sauce, I tried a new recipe using celery and without adding tomato and its much better than my usual 'the curry secret' one i use imo. I also left it overnighjt in the fridge before blending and freezing, so maybe that helped.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom