The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
More late night homemade syrup sponge and custard. Yum!:)

20181108-230501.jpg

20181109-001833.jpg

Soldato
Looks great Ray. I love a good lamb curry :)

TrNrUQ.jpg

Out today in Glasgow. Its the start of the festive menu season, so I had to go to EAT for their pigs in blankets roll. I love it with the mustard and the chutney! :D

Lunch today was at my favourite haunt, Six By Nico, trying out their Middle East theme. They had all the lights turned on for a change, which made getting decents pictures murder.

iM3w9f.jpg

vwJnfz.jpg

Vy6vCb.jpg

8KAQBt.jpg

ebzK37.jpg

ntkEV9.jpg

INU8Ic.jpg

abbjcj.jpg

Discovered a takeaway place called Sprigg on Instagram that makes up really nice salad bowls. Had to get one to take home with me. Good choice of ingredients. Very fresh and tasty :)

Caporegime
I got to say I have come to realised that Indian isn't my thing, i never ever crave it, and although this one is very nice and i come away VERY satisfied, it didn't get me the happy place like I do with Dim Sum or Japanese Ramen or a course of sushi. I find the constant same flavour in the entire meal got a bit boring after a few bites and it is a very heavy meal.

Soldato
My parents treated me to a belated birthday indian meal last night with the missus. Ended up giving our favourite joint (Regency Club) a miss and visiting The Mumbai Junction.
Food was ok...not as good as the Regency if I'd be honest. Whilst I am not a fan of Lamb, I do love spicy kebabs/meatballs and these were superb. The rest of the meal was average at best.

V5nFUjk.jpg

Soldato
Tesco mackerel in teriyaki sauce (canned fish isle, 4 for £2.50).

Two tins, loads of lettuce and tomato in a small granary baguette. Marvellous.

Soldato
Tesco mackerel in teriyaki sauce (canned fish isle, 4 for £2.50). Two tins,
curious sorry - sugar police

typical Values 100g contains Half of a can (63g) contains
Energy 931.80kJ (222.85kcal) 587.03kJ (140.40kcal)
Fat 11.77g 7.42g
Saturates 3.20g 2.02g
Carbohydrate 16.20g 10.21g
Sugars 15.93g 10.04g

A standard 36 gram Mars Bar is reported to contain 20.8 grams of sugar,

Soldato
It's teriyaki what else would you expect?

Thankfully it's a very runny teriyaki that's easily drained out of the tin (after dressing the salad with a tiny amount first, obviously :p), leaving just lovely flavoured mackerel.

I hope he doesn't see the syrup sponge above my post. Epipen on standby. :D

Soldato
The last of Monday's curried veg & lentil stew (carrots, courgettes, sweet potato, onions, bell peppers, cabbage, lentils, paper lantern habaneros. Edit: spice detail available upon request.).

Chillies grown by: me.
Dish cooked by: me.
Plate presented by: JCB.

Blummin lovely though, even if I do say so myself.

curriedvegstew1.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
My mum and I went to the dentist for a regular check up and got a clean bill of health. Then we stopped for lunch at a fish & chip restaurant we'd not been to before. Food was delicious. And then we looked at desserts and lo and behold, they had fried mars bar! I would never have expected that to be on the menu. I remember posting about it on here months ago. So I thought I'd give it a try even though I know they're very unhealthy. It was nice but not so special that I would want it again. Best of all, I didn't pay :D

20181115-153225.jpg

20181115-160338.jpg

Mum had a chocolate cheesecake.

20181115-160317.jpg

Soldato
no - old school (+suet preferably) - I prefer pictures of syrup pudding - why eat out if you can cook that ?

I'm more into distributing the syrup through the pudding, though
Ingredients
150ml Milk
2 Tablespoons of Golden Syrup
1 Egg
100g Breadcrumbs
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
175g Shredded Suet
1 Teaspoon of Ground Ginger
100g Plain Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
Ginger Pudding - Serves 4

Delicious winter warming steamed pudding. Variations can be achieved by substituting leaving out the ground ginger and using jam instead of golden syrup. Serve hot with custard.

Method

Warm the milk to simmering point and stir in the golden syrup and beaten egg. Mix together well. Stir in the breadcrumbs, sugar and suet. Sift the flour, ground ginger and baking soda together and add to the rest of the mixture and mix well.

Pour the finished mixture into a large, well greased, pudding basin. Cover with a sheet of well greased paper and tie in place with string. Form a loop over the top of the pudding with the string to form a handle to lift the basin into and out of the steamer.

Steam for 2 hours. Remember to check the steam every 30 minutes to ensure it doesn't boil dry. Turn out and serve with custard.

but also perfecting the chocolate variant
Steamed chocolate pudding
3 tbsp good dark cocoa
1 ¼ cups dark brown sugar
½ cup cold milk
2 slices stale bread (about 50g), or 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
4 tbsp melted butter
½ cup plain flour
½ tsp baking soda
Butter a 1-pint pudding bowl or several small pudding bowls, this is where the pudding will be cooked.

In a separate bowl whisk the cocoa and sugar with a dash of milk till smooth, then stir in the remaining milk, breadcrumbs, egg yolk and melted butter, beating after each addition. Sift the flour and baking soda together then fold this in. Put this batter in the pudding bowl(s) Butter a sheet of foil, fold a pleat in the middle, and secure this butter-side down with a length of string tied under the lip of the pudding bowl. If you are using several small you have to do this to each one.

Place the bowl(s) on an old saucer placed in the bottom of a large deep saucepan with a lid. Half fill the pan with water then bring to a boil; again if you are using small pudding bowls, just fill the pan with just a little water, you don’t want any water in the pudding. Then reduce the heat to a bare simmer, put the lid on, and cook for 1 1/2 hours – checking the water every 30 minutes to make sure is doesn’t boil dry.

Carefully lift the basin out of the pan, remove the foil, run a knife around the inside and turn on to a plate to serve with whipped cream.

Enjoy! Serves 4-6

Soldato
I like those recipes jpaul, thanks. I was just talking to my mum the other day about using suet as I've not used it before. Some questions.
Would it work out the same if I used self raising flour instead of plain flour and baking powder?
I'm not keen on ginger in puddings, but love golden syrup. Maybe I could add extra syrup instead of the teaspoon of ginger?
Shall I get Atora original suet?
I've got golden caster sugar and I think I still have some dark muscovado. I guess either of those would be fine instead of brown sugar?
You mentioned egg yolk for the chocolate pudding, does that mean I need to separate from the white?

Back
Top Bottom