The **Now Eating** Thread

:)

Didn't know how detailed you want it so here's the whole thing!

Just used a basic pizza recipe but changed most of the flour for Sainsbury's TTD wholewheat seeded flour and substituted honey for the sugar.

I used this recipe as base:

5g honey
220ml warm water
7g/one sachet yeast
9ml olive oil
4g salt
200g wholewheat (seeded optional) flour
70 g strong bread flour

But I added more flour (didn't measure) until it was the right consistency; just not-sticky enough so that it doesn't stick to your hands/work surface when handling.

Once you have mixed all of that together, knead it for 5-10 minutes. As you knead it will get stickier as the flour gets mixed in properly so just sprinkle a bit of flour on the dough if this happens whenever needed.

Place in a large bowl, cover with a warm towel and let it rise for at least 1 hour.

Knead for 5-10 minutes, again adding tiny amounts of flour if it becomes too sticky. Cut into 4 sections (or 3 if you want a large pizza/calzone), roll into balls, coat lightly in olive oil and again leave to rise for at least 1 hour (I think I let mine rise for 2 hours or so because I was out).

Knock back the air. Now you can either use straight away, keep it in the fridge (up to a day for freshness but you can keep probably up to 3) or store it in the freezer for another time. As I'm only cooking for myself I used one, fridged one and froze 2. If you're fridging/freezing it, wrap it tightly in clingfilm, especially in the fridge because it will continue to rise and if you don't wrap it well enough it will just burst out of the clingfilm and dry out (still useable though if only a little part has dried out).

So, when you're ready to use it, whack the oven on 180c. Flour the work surface (you don't need much) and roll out the dough. Now I like my pizza/calzone dough thin when it's cooked, and when it's cooking it still rises and most people who haven't cooked it before don't realise this, don't roll the dough thin enough and the pizza/calzone comes out ultra thick!

For the calzone I rolled it as thin as I could, literally 2-3mm thick. I posted this a few days ago: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23665202&postcount=3524
That was probably about 5mm thick.

Any typically longer-cooking veg, or meat will need to be cooked (almost cooked is fine) before going onto/into the pizza/calzone. Very lightly brush the top with oil; I didn't do this because I used pesto; any other oily based sauce you won't need to brush the dough with oil. You don't have to brush with oil, but the dough might get a little soggy from the tomato sauce when cooking, the oil acts as a barrier. Arrange the toppings on the pizza as you wish, or for a calzone still spread the sauce over the dough, but putting the filling just on one side of the dough, leaving enough space at the edge.

Fold over the dough, crimp so that the filling doesn't come out, and whack in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until it's getting some colour to it, or until the top has formed a crust (if you tap the top it should make a nice hollow sound). For the pizza, until the cheese has started bubbling.

Then enjoy!

Last edited:
img0160vs.jpg

Toast and heinz spag bol :D

Sausages, broccoli, parsnip gratin and some crap spicy bbq sauce.

Made a big batch. Not using tons of dark brown. Sugar like normal and well it's horribable. Now have a saucepan of the stuff and can't even be bothered to bottle it.

Why oh why sugar are you so evil.

Back
Top Bottom