The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
Its arrived :cool:
Gln9Egs.jpeg

Hurry up a Cook it! Interested how these turn out, from the Ingredients looks the real deal without any rubbish!

Meanwhile partner has began to cook a scratch Curry, no Pathia though so I’m already sulking :D

Soldato
Never mind @Gilbert89 , I ain’t happy! :p

Least you saved me a drive up to their Headquarters to post it through their letter box!

Home made Curries just do not compete with the BIR Style you get an Indian Restaurant’s.

With my time on my hands, this winter I plan to lock myself in the kitchen and attempt to perfect a BIR Style Curry, using Base Gravy etc.

Disappointed for you, that’s a shame.. could any of it be user error? :p
If it makes you feel any better the one my partner just made was thinner than soup.

Caporegime
Least you saved me a drive up to their Headquarters to post it through their letter box!

Home made Curries just do not compete with the BIR Style you get an Indian Restaurant’s.

With my time on my hands, this winter I plan to lock myself in the kitchen and attempt to perfect a BIR Style Curry, using Base Gravy etc.

If it makes you feel any better the one my partner just made was thinner than soup.
Agree, you can try a thousand times, you’ll never get it like BIR quality

Associate

I can recommend Dan Toombs "The Curry Guy" book, it walks you through creating the base grazy, as well as the various pastes and powders, if you really want to go to that level. (yes there is a chicken pathia recipe in there!)

But even if you use it just for the base and then the recips, I can attest it is very good. It can get a bit messy cooking the actual curry, as they are more stir fry than boil, like an actual curry house, but you really do get that authentic BIR curry, and can obv alter slightly for the thickness / taste you prefer.

The base can be made in large batches, then just microwave defrosted when you want a curry, the curry cooking itself is very quick once everything is prepped.

Can highly recommend..

Associate

I disagree if you take the time to prep the base gravy and stir fry the curry like they do in curry houses. Can get pretty much the same quality and taste.

edit: it may not match your "local" curry house as they all have different base gravy recipes / spice blends but the consistency and flavour is very much BIR style.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m open to user error, but it was pretty basic stuff, fry off some onions, add mix with a bit of water and chicken then cook for 30 mins.
Rick Stein’s Beef Rendang and James Martin Lamb shoulder Rogan josh, although different styles are easily up with BIR in terms of quality.

Caporegime
I’m open to user error, but it was pretty basic stuff, fry off some onions, add mix with a bit of water and chicken then cook for 30 mins.

Rick Stein’s Beef Rendang and James Martin Lamb shoulder Rogan josh, although different styles are easily up with BIR in terms of quality.
I’m not really talking about quality, it’s more the style, texture and taste of the curry. It’s the same with Chinese, I’ve never been able to get a chow mein or egg fried rice like my local, or the way they cook chicken that makes it massively soft and tender.

It’s like the coating on KFC or Big Mac sauce, never been matched 100%

Back
Top Bottom