The **Now Eating** Thread

Associate
That orchard looks nice :)

I was working fruit when these first arrived from NZ and they were just so different to others and full of goodies.
If you see them, they will be labelled as ENZA and are imo the best.
Yeah great Orchards around those parts, and I'll keep my eyes peeled then :D

Last edited:
Soldato
My sous vide tends to get used once or twice a month these days for everything from duck breast to centre cut fillet. In general it’s just unbeatable, there’s no other way to get that perfect medium rare right to the edge.

A tomahawk is a large enough cut though that there’s not too much risk of overcooking as long as you’re comfortable in the kitchen, and I feel like the extra crust and solid malliard reaction you get with a good reverse sear just slightly edges it.

But to be honest, they’re both fantastic techniques for this cut in my opinion. One thing I might try next time is sous vide followed by a quick ice bath to bring the meat temp down just enough to get a truly serious sear without overcooking.

No idea if it will work out but experimentation is fun!

I've slowed down some lately, but have used sous vide for a number of years now and totally love the way it makes any food (within reason) something so much more.

I've got to try a salmon one I did years ago so, that ended up with the skin like crackling.

Soldato
First use of the Dreo Chefmaster on a joint + probe + water.

G7A2Z9h.jpg

The photo fails to show how pink the flesh was and how tender as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've slowed down some lately, but have used sous vide for a number of years now and totally love the way it makes any food (within reason) something so much more.

I've got to try a salmon one I did years ago so, that ended up with the skin like crackling.

Sounds fantastic…

Unfortunately for me, my wife really isn’t much of a fish fan, so it’s rare that I get the opportunity to cook any. Salmon would be right at the top of my list otherwise.

Pork tenderloin is spectacular sous vide, it’s something that I would never ever cook any other way now. It gives you the ability to cook it to a much lower temperature than you would be able to otherwise, and just hold it there pasteurising for safety, beautifully pink, moist and tender. Any other method and it likely would be unsafe to eat at that level.

You really can turn some cheap cuts into something special with sous vide.

Last edited:
Soldato
rQ2JTRg.jpeg

Jerk chicken rice and peas. Gotta love a good bit of scotch bonnet pepper!

Yellow peas :D

I brought home some real Jamaican Jerk sauce, Ackee and plantain and tasked the OH with making a Jerk chicken rice and peas, but she didn't do any checking and put the whole jar of jerk in a bag with the chicken, cooked it and dished it all up together.
This was years before my tolerance to heat was good and the first mouthful made me cry :cry:
Instructions were to add a little to a bag, marinade and then cook :eek:

You say peas :D

Soldato
That looks absolutely exquisite! Never heard of 3 Cup Chicken... sounds American :p

Meanwhile I have had a Piri Piri Chicken Pot Noodle.. Anyone had one? Certainly a nose runner incredibly spicey IMO.

Added that to my 'to do list'

Not had that one, but have had a few from Tian Tian and Nissin that have made my nose tingle.

Soldato
Added that to my 'to do list'

Not had that one, but have had a few from Tian Tian and Nissin that have made my nose tingle.
Years ago I did step by step guide on it, but I think it got archived or at the very least the pictures will have been deleted by now.

Back
Top Bottom