The **Now Eating** Thread

Man of Honour
I've had 4 slices so far and I'm feeling pretty full... But I'm still going. Gonna nom my 5th slice now.... :o

Edit: managed 6 slices... Will have some more later and tomorrow :D

here's some insperation for you..
120lb 5'8" dude eating 3 large pizzas with sides

push through the pain and be a winner MisChief!

Man of Honour
fOQzJ5k.jpg

cant stand food being served to me on a chopping board so i had them swap it for a plate,
was pretty good, chips are unlimited and i had an unlimited diet pepsi, all for under a tenner

Last edited:
Man of Honour
FT I'm struggling with a recipe to use up 1kg of beef cheeks.. any ideas?

I cooked some recently using a proper braising technique. Something like this:

Cast iron oven tin with lid. Stick on hob on highest, sear each side of the cheeks until they're browned. Take out, turn heat down.

Stick some lardons or whatever in the tin and brown them/render out the fat. Leave these in.

Make a soffritto/mirepoix with onions, carrots, celery, whatever else you want. Do the usual slow fry at low heat. Towards the end add some crushed (but still whole) garlic cloves.

Add in some fresh tomatoes, any other veg you like that can stand a long cooking process, some stock and seasonings. I usually stick three or four bay leaves in too.

Total liquid should be maybe an inch deep.

Place the beef cheeks on top of the liquid. Then tinfoil wrapped tightly over the top of the tin and lid placed on top of that. Stick in the oven for maybe three hours at about 120C. Might take anywhere between 2 and 4. Open it up once about half-way through and turn the cheeks over.

Obviously that's just a basic stew recipe but the braising really brings out the strengths of the beef cheek - you end up with nice whole and well browned cheeks that maintain their structure but are incredibly moist and delicious. Actually drooling just thinking about it now :p

I've been meaning to try adapting this for a chili or the like but haven't got round to it. I reckon it'd be immense though.

Another alternative is to just pretend that the cheeks are beef brisket and smoke them. I've not tried it myself but as long as you do a crutch during the process they stay moist and end up delicious. Any of the above methods you end up with meat that is really moist and flavourful but also with the kind of unctuous collagen breakdown you get in slow-cooked beef shin.

Soldato
FT I'm struggling with a recipe to use up 1kg of beef cheeks.. any ideas?

Was literally just looking at this recipe and thought ooh might give it a go!

Braised beef cheeks
Since you cook these cheeks a day in advance, this rich, dark creation makes an effortless dinner that is just the thing for dark winter nights. Serves 8
Ingredients
1/4 stick (30 g) butter
2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
4 trimmed beef cheeks, seasoned with salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 onions, peeled and diced
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 leek, washed and sliced
1 stick celery, chopped
6 ripe tomatoes, chopped
3 1/4 cups (760 ml) red wine
2 quarts (2 l) chicken stock
1/2 cup (120 ml) veal glace, optional

Method

1 Melt the butter and oil together in a wide, heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add the cheeks and caramelize all over until they are golden. Transfer the meat to a Dutch oven or baking dish.
2 Add the garlic and vegetables to the frying pan, except for the tomatoes. Cook gently, covered, for 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 more minutes. Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C). Add the wine, stock, and veal glace, if using, to the vegetables. Bring to a simmer and then add to the cheeks. Cover and braise in the oven for 3 hours, or until the cheeks are soft and tender.
3 Cool the meat, reserving the liquid, then transfer to a deep plate. Cover with baking parchment, then put a chopping board on top and weight down with cans of vegetables or kitchen weights. Refrigerate for 12 hours. Trim off fat from the meat, then cut each cheek in half.
4 In a pan, boil the braising liquid until reduced to about 2 cups (475 ml). To serve, reheat the cheeks in the cooking liquid and serve with mashed potatoes, flavored with fresh horseradish.

I wanted something a little richer though, so would swap out the red wine for some porter and maybe change the chicken to beef stock.

Man of Honour
midnight snack :)

MvO0gzf.jpg

er5Xdad.jpg

3NNG41x.jpg

Xk91W3a.jpg

is very nice thankyou please

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom