The **Now Eating** Thread

I took some burgers out of the freezer to have for my tea but, when the time came, I didn't fancy burgers so I made them into meatballs and made a simple tomato sauce with tinned tomatoes, onion, garlic, red wine, chilli, cumin, Worcestershire sauce and a little beef stock. Served with linguine and grated Parmesan cheese.

i don't like to brag but I totally nailed the sauce for once. Got the perfect balance. Thoroughly enjoyable meal - and I've got enough left for another meal :cool:

Your food always looks & sounds heavenly!

Steak night! Simple 6oz sirloins, twice cooked chips, home made onions rings and garlic mushrooms for me.

1484111_10207310201572062_2325886480376525773_n.jpg

And this is for later in the week - 32oz of goodness - I'm going to need a bigger plate! For all you steak enthusiasts, it will please you to know that I'm going to cook it on my George Foreman'esque grill!

10435922_10207309600957047_8661959577853185646_n.jpg

Well that was expensive and utterly disappointing.
:(
Tried a fairly new American BBQ dive type place. We had quite a few things.
And it wasn't nice.

Brisket burger. Large lumps of chewy brisket binder together with beef mince. Walnut relish they put on it doesn't compliment it. But extremely chewy brisket in the burger, didn't taste BBQ at all. If I had to guess and I will, they simply large vet raw brisket and nixed it in with mince and cooked it.

Then chips, brisket, BBQ sauce, mac and cheese with BBQ sauce.

This brisket was more tender, but very heavy oak smoked. To heavy imo with the other stuff. Tasteless falling apart mac and cheese.
And then they paired it with a heavy molasses BBQ sauce. Heavy molasses with heavy oak smoked meat, not a match made in heaven.

As for they psyche hot juice, hot. It was barely warm.

Oh well can stop craving that place now.

Full flavoured heavily seasoned food is one thing (and I love that sort of food) but my good they have got a taste palate, must just be running on the something different and American craze.

Why they been getting good reviews who knows.

BBQ I had in new York. was extremely heavily oak smoked, however the brisket was so fatty and juicy it was a delight and they new how to pair the heavy flavour with a simple peeper rub and decent strong but simple mac and cheese.

And how bad can a BBQ sauce be, well in this case stupidly bad. They should buy some of my bogs standard BBQ sauce, would be a much better flavour pairing.

Still hungry and sad now. So much wasted food. Might have to have a trip to Tesco and get some ice cream, cheer myself up.

Why can't I have the money to set up a BBQ joint :(

Last edited:
That's the biggest problem with the American BBQ bandwagon. Too many restaurants are jumping onboard without a real knowledge of what they are doing. The owners of most have probably never even stepped foot in the US. The result is just a poor attempt.

The supermarkets are the same. You can't move in the meat section now for brisket and pulled pork. But it's total rubbish.

The American BBQ craze is great, but it's just getting ruined by over saturation.

Glaucus, you say you want to open one, but how much do you honestly know about proper American BBQ?

A reasonable amount, I'm pretty handy at BBQ, and I have a taste palate, which these jokers didn't.

However I've never perfected brisket, but then I've never tried with the full packer joint, which I think is probably needed.

However ribs, and the different style BBQ sauces, I'm pretty darn awesome.

I really don't get how people can't make good mac and cheese, it's not hard.

BBQ pits are awesome, I cannot imagine the healthy and safety needed for one in the uk though. The extractor fans needed would probably make the place so loud no one would want to come.

That's the biggest problem with the American BBQ bandwagon. Too many restaurants are jumping onboard without a real knowledge of what they are doing. The owners of most have probably never even stepped foot in the US. The result is just a poor attempt.

The supermarkets are the same. You can't move in the meat section now for brisket and pulled pork. But it's total rubbish.

The American BBQ craze is great, but it's just getting ruined by over saturation.

Glaucus, you say you want to open one, but how much do you honestly know about proper American BBQ?

Best BBQ place I've been to is Hickorys in Chester.

Back
Top Bottom