The **Now Eating** Thread

Basically

2 onions (finely chopped)
5 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
5 cm ginger (finely chopped) (I just try to match the garlic here)
3 chillies (I tend to put more in, but I like a good kick)

Sweat these off slowly till soft and brown, then add

2 tsp kasmiri chiili powder (normal is fine it's just for the colour)
2 tsp ground corriander
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin

Cook this out (I tend to give it about 4-5 minutes) While its cooking out, get yourself 500ml of chicken stock, and 400ml of hot water with 4 heaped tsp of tamarind paste/concentrate dissolved. (I usually combine these to make less mess)

Add 2 tins of chopped toms to the onion and spice mix, bring to heat, and add the stock / tamarind mix.

Bring to a boil and add 2 heaped TBSP of brown sugar. Let this simmer for a while (about an hour) then blitz down and return to heat.

Here's where I check for the sweet / sour balance, too sweet and more tamarind, to sour and more sugar. (If your unsure pour a few tablespoons into two separate bowls then add a little of each (tamarind / sugar) to each and taste)

Then that's your sauce done. Next up fresh pan and add your meat!!!!!!

For the meat, get a dry pan and add cumin/corriander/fenugreek/mustard seeds (About a mixed tsp per serving), when they start popping add a little oil/ghee and add your meat (prawns work well too, but wait till the end to add them) brown your meat and add a few TBSP of the pathia sauce, allow it to burn and really coat the meat. Add more of the pathia sauce (as desired for a thick / runny sauce) and bring to a simmer, throw in some chopped fresh coriander and curry leaves.

Serve with your preferred rice, some mango/tomato chutney, and a few wedges of fresh lime. The reason for the chutney and lime is people can change the sweet / sour balance to their taste.

Hope you enjoy

(I haven't mentioned seasoning, I tend to season as I go, but this does use stock which will cook out, so you may want to just season after you've blitzed the sauce down, then season your meat :P)

Back
Top Bottom