• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Caporegime
Shouldn't see any tearing at all if its working right - turning off V-Sync ingame with Fast set in the nVidia control panel would ensure best compatibility.

This defiantly makes a difference tho i wouldn't say its working well.

My screen is 75Hz, anything over 85 FPS is usually a problem, with this for the most part the main view of the screen tearing is reduced, not gone like V-Sync, reduced.

However, at the peripheries of the screen the tearing remains, if not worse, somehow there is horizontal and vertical tearing all at the same time around the edge of the screen.

It needs work, for now i think i prefer it off as the screen edge tearing is defiantly a worse kind and more with it on, even if the main of the screen is better its too distracting with the edge tearing in tiles or blocks and a lot.

Caporegime
This defiantly makes a difference tho i wouldn't say its working well.

My screen is 75Hz, anything over 85 FPS is usually a problem, with this for the most part the main view of the screen tearing is reduced, not gone like V-Sync, reduced.

However, at the peripheries of the screen the tearing remains, if not worse, somehow there is horizontal and vertical tearing all at the same time around the edge of the screen.

It needs work, for now i think i prefer it off as the screen edge tearing is defiantly a worse kind and more with it on, even if the main of the screen is better its too distracting with the edge tearing in tiles or blocks and a lot.

Peculiar, I play Elite Dangerous and can see tearing when I am sitting at 300+ fps but put fastsync on and nothing, no tearing and nice and smooth. I believe your monitor is really old, so possibly down to the monitor. I would move away from 1080P 60Hz if I was you.

Caporegime
Peculiar, I play Elite Dangerous and can see tearing when I am sitting at 300+ fps but put fastsync on and nothing, no tearing and nice and smooth. I believe your monitor is really old, so possibly down to the monitor. I would move away from 1080P 60Hz if I was you.

I believe you, it was not a criticism, i'm saying it doesn't work for me, which seems to be a theme with it, for some it works, others not.

My Screen is a few months old and 75Hz.

Man of Honour
Weird shouldn't be seeing any tearing at all - some people get stuttering with Fast Sync but I've only seen that at 60Hz on Kepler and 75+Hz on Kepler and 60+Hz on Pascal has worked fine for me in most cases.

Caporegime
Weird shouldn't be seeing any tearing at all - some people get stuttering with Fast Sync but I've only seen that at 60Hz on Kepler and 75+Hz on Kepler and 60+Hz on Pascal has worked fine for me in most cases.

Perhaps its at the render base with my system, i'll make a recording later, if it is at the system level it will pick it up. :)

Man of Honour
Are you using a custom resolution or any tweaks like that? that can break Fast Sync rather badly for some reason i.e. if you had an "overclocked" 100Hz profile for the resolution but not using it even.

Caporegime
It must be my screen.... i get horrendous tearing at 90+ FPS inside and nothing outside with the trees @ 40+

Yet in the recording there is no tearing anywhere.

Maybe Greg is right, maybe it doesn't like the Free-Sync controller.

Man of Honour
Is that one of the screens that is "75Hz" but higher with Free Sync? I had horrendous problems with Fast Sync and my 60Hz, but overclocked to 75Hz U2913WM using a custom resolution - sorted it eventually by using CRU - but I was running at 75Hz so might not help if you can't run at the "overclocked" Hz.

For some reason Fast Sync has some odd behaviour with panels that are overclockable, etc.

Caporegime
Is that one of the screens that is "75Hz" but higher with Free Sync? I had horrendous problems with Fast Sync and my 60Hz, but overclocked to 75Hz U2913WM using a custom resolution - sorted it eventually by using CRU - but I was running at 75Hz so might not help if you can't run at the "overclocked" Hz.

For some reason Fast Sync has some odd behaviour with panels that are overclockable, etc.

No its just 75 with and without Free-Sync...

There is one thing tho, default Nvidia drivers set it 60Hz TV... i noticed that early on as it was locked to 60Hz, in the drivers i had to manually set it to 75Hz PC.

As for overclocking, the 144Hz version of this screen is identical, yet setting it to even 76hz results in "out of range"

So... don't know, it would be nice to get it working on my screen but i have a feeling Greg hit the nail on the head, it doesn't like my scaler.

Soldato
I always find tearing is more visible over the refresh rate of the monitor especially noticable looking at the floor. I cap my fps in bf4 at 115 on my 120hz monitor and hardly notice the tearing. If I cap it at 120 or close to it then I get a tearing line across the screen which stays in one place, at 115 the tear alternates down the screen so is less noticable. Try that.
Edit ok, I've jumped in without reading the whole thread please ignore

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I always find tearing is more visible over the refresh rate of the monitor especially noticable looking at the floor. I cap my fps in bf4 at 115 on my 120hz monitor and hardly notice the tearing. If I cap it at 120 or close to it then I get a tearing line across the screen which stays in one place, at 115 the tear alternates down the screen so is less noticable. Try that.
Edit ok, I've jumped in without reading the whole thread please ignore

Capping framerate at or near the refresh rate with V-Sync off tends to make tearing the most noticeable for some reason - capping a little down can work but I usually find (though sometimes harder to achieve) that running a lot higher framerate than the refresh rate i.e. 100+ on a 60Hz panel gives the least perceived tearing - I used to run SLI setups partly for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom