• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**THE NVIDIA DRIVERS THREAD**

Caporegime
From what I understand Microsoft are changing from standard drivers to DCH **Declarative Componentized Hardware** drivers which will be the new standard for Microsofts Universal Windows Platform or UWP which enables lower level access etc... I may be wrong though, Happy to be educated on the topic.

Cheers. :)

Soldato
You need to be very careful with this. I have had an occasion where it really corrupted my windows.

I was unistalling/installing a new version of the driver... whilst windows was also installing a new driver.

You can imagine what sort of mess that creates when you are installing two driver simultaneously.

Windows borked big time.

Now days when it comes to updating drivers I disable my internet connection so that windows doesn't get involved.

Last edited:
Caporegime
You need to be very careful with this. I have had an occasion where it really corrupted my windows.

I was unistalling/installing a new version of the driver... whilst windows was also installing a new driver.

You can imagine what sort of mess that creates when you are installing two driver simultaneously.

Windows borked big time.

Now days when it comes to updating drivers I disable my internet connection so that windows doesn't get involved.

so once you've downloaded the newer driver, before you install it, you disable your connection ?

I might do that myself, if windows can get involved and **** it up.

Permabanned
Ah the joys of Windows 10...

Its an absoloute disgrace anyone on here using win 10 should format just to avoid future embarassment. You need to stop using windows 10 guys because the more who revert to 7 the more it makes MS squirm. They really despise the fact people are going back but just look at the state of the current builds lmao!

Have you ever known an OS like this Rroff? I had TinyXP through to 10 and Vista wipes the floor with windows 10. Vista had a huge stigma so why not Win10 now?

Permabanned
Win 7 was crap also (some loved it due to the Superbar like it was the 2nd coming but it was the start of a cut down OS), Vista was the last good Full Blown OS though buggy at start and some couldn't run it well on low spec so cried but loved the fake Windows Mojave that really was Vista with a new theme (shows you how sheep can be lead).

BTW I have not had Win 10 force a driver on my ever but ideally I wish they had made it something different as 7/8/8.1/10 are poor IMO.

Going back to an old unsupported OS and missing out on certain features many you may need as a a gamer etc no thanks.

Permabanned
Win 7 was crap also (some loved it due to the Superbar like it was the 2nd coming but it was the start of a cut down OS), Vista was the last good Full Blown OS though buggy at start and some couldn't run it well on low spec so cried but loved the fake Windows Mojave that really was Vista with a new theme (shows you how sheep can be lead).

BTW I have not had Win 10 force a driver on my ever but ideally I wish they had made it something different as 7/8/8.1/10 are poor IMO.

Going back to an old unsupported OS and missing out on certain features many you may need as a a gamer etc no thanks.

Windows 10 has more bloat though inc the store and cortana and much more telemetry and background processes. Windows 10 has way over 100 processes i used to have about 44 running back on TinyXP or less. I will never forget the 5fps drop i had on my minimum framerate every os bar TinyXP ran games 5fps slower i could format over and over and replicate the bloat robbing my solid 60fps to 55fps.

If you keep supporting this, You are throwing away performance i estimate there is 5-10% performance robbed by the bloatware since TinyXP and about another 8% from Spectre and the like. But we will never know they always pull the same trick refusing to backport Direct x so we can never do a comparison on how much each version of windows steals in %.

Also tell me as a gamer, What features require Windows 10? The only two gaming features that i know is Freesync on Nvidia hardware and DX12 which normally runs slower than DX11.1? Windows 7 supports DX 11.1 Freesync and Gsync, HDR? Windows 7 suppports Gsync Ultimate as well. And guess what? Direct X 12 actually RUNS on win 7 x64. Microsoft ported DX12 to Windows7 just for World of Warcraft retail. So if you took a stand and reverted to Windows 7 they will port DX12 fully but the more you resist the more you doom our platform. Because if this bloat continues where a console can run a to the metal slimline OS it could spell trouble for gaming. I mean how can a newbie figure out why Nvidia standard drivers do not install on his new win 10 install? There is NO notification to even tell him about what DCH is, It caught me and i have had a gaming PC for twenty years!! Seriously this is true using windows 10 is asking for big big trouble and saying yes to more bloatware and bad changes.

Permabanned
I will never use Windows 7 again I stayed on Vista as long as possible a I hated it so you can take the stand on your own because at ten past midnight I cant really be bothered to read that last part as it is a wall of text and in life I have better things to do.

Back
Top Bottom