The OA [Netflix]

Permabanned
New Netflix show coming out on Friday http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4635282/?ref_=nv_sr_2

A bit strange for them to announce a show just a few days before releasing it so could mean it's not good. Netflix though so worth a try.
From Brit Marling and Zal Batmanglij, the visionary filmmakers behind Sound of My Voice and The East, comes a powerful, mind-bending tale about identity, human connection and the borders between life and death. The Netflix original series The OA is an odyssey in eight chapters produced in partnership with Plan B Entertainment, Netflix and Anonymous Content. The groundbreaking series offers audiences a singular experience that upends notions about what long-format stories can be.

Permabanned
OP
Finished it last night, the first half was good but it started losing me in the second with all the weird kung-fu dance stuff. I thought the ending was awful, it ended up so ridiculous i wouldn't have been surprised if half the room spontaneously started singing Right Said Fred's I'm too Sexy or something equally ridiculous.

Caporegime
Just binged 'The OA' this weeked and though it certainly took a while to get there, the ending was very head-scratchingly surprising, I didn't really expect that at all. Kind of a real wtf moment. It was well acted and very surreal, parts of the story didn't make much sense at all, but if you blank your mind and go with the flow without asking too many questions then it's worth a watch. I didn't not enjoy it, if that makes sense.

Now for Van Helsing...

Soldato
I've got just past start of 6 or 7 (can't remember) It's started to get weird. The movement stuff etc.
I foresee that it's all rubbish and she's a bit mental.

//finshed... Anyone care to explain that ending?

Last edited:
Soldato
Loved it, the tai-chi stuff was a bit mental but is it any crazier than light sabres? :D

Superb acting (specially Brit Marling) and story telling, I literally couldn't wait to watch the next episode.

The ending really threw me, I just didn't see it coming at all....

I personally think that the books and the story she told her parents were intended to muddy the water so to speak. The end was purposely ambiguous, the books and the story she told her parents on one side and the story she told the group on the other. The documented evidence the group found: news of the crash, Homer's NDE on youtube, video of her at the station, are all part of her story but don't necessarily mean that the rest was true. Even the recovery of her sight was due to a trauma, just as she lost it in the first place. So the viewer is left guessing almost to the end but then right at the last, as she dies, we actually hear the "whoosh" sound and then we see her somewhere else and this is the final proof that her story was true.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
The ending is perfect. If you invested your trust in believing her story, you feel somewhat like The Five, the ups and downs and then suddenly they are in the right place in the right time, this is what they were trained for. If you grew sceptical of the story and started suspecting schizophrenia, then you still understand how their moves saved the day, on very realistic, both feet on the ground level and there will always be those few elements to scratch your head about - how did she regain her sight? How did she know to run to them in the end? See? Perfection in ambiguity.

They are courting Netflix for a second season. I don't think it is necessary.

Soldato
Watched the first episode.

It's treading a *very* fine line between interestingly leftfield and pretentious tosh.

Will see how it develops!

Back
Top Bottom