!!!! The OCUK Martial Arts Thread !!!!

Associate
I do BJJ and Boxing

As with regards to MMA competitions best place to check out would be www.sfuk.net (seems to be down at the mo) Go to the forums as the news front page seems to be negelected. There are lots of amatuer competitions happening all over the UK.

Associate
I have been practising MA for most of my life and have tried a variety of styles. I am currently a red belt in TKD and have been studying for the past 4 years. I have also studied ju jutsu for 2 years (purple belt) and karate 6 years (1st Dan). For the past 2 years I have been assisting my instructor in teaching kids classes and my self confidence has grown immensely because of this.

Like you guys I have never studied MA to become a hard git, and would never pick a fight but with all these nutters nowadays I believe it is essential that I learn how to defend myself, family and friends if needed. .

I know most people don't rate TKD and I would have to agree with many when they say it isn't very practical. The reason I have stuck with it for so long is i am lucky to have an instructor who has studied a huge variety of styles and believes it is very important to integrate what he has learned into the TKD syllabus. This way i get the best of both worlds, the traditional TKD side and the practical self defence side.

Dave

Caporegime
OP
Hmm it all seems to be japanese MA in your area, karate etc. Seen this one which looks better then the usual karate mush, mey be worth checking out http://www.goshinkwai.co.uk/

That kickboxing may be worth a look too though, seems there's not much in your area. How far are you willing to travel, where would be the furthest? How far from cardiff?

Caporegime
Depends really, im looking to use it as a means to get fit aswell as have some fun to start with, however once im into it i would be looking at competitions and gradings etc and becoming as good as i can.
Furthest im willing to travel - closer the better (i have a young family so dont want to spend too long travelling to get to somewhere).

Caporegime
OP
That Jiu-Jitsu club looks alright, from what I can tell they compete in contact Judo competitions too, so you'll be learning some practical stuff.

Only remotely decent looking Kung Fu school I could find was also at the uni http://www.stusoc.cf.ac.uk/suon/au/kungfu/

Couldn't find any other decent place at all... there are two great MMA clubs in Cardiff, but i'm guessing that's a tad hardcore for you, lol. Would be for most people.

Stick with Jiu Jitsu/Judo, they are great beginners arts.

Caporegime
no probs with it being hardcore aslong as they dont mind a learner!
i did judo to green belt (Star club in withywood Bristol) till i was 14, got bored at not being able to advance until 16!
did a few other bits and bobs before i was working the doors for 3 years so used to a bit of rough n tumble :D

any websites for these cardiff mma places?

Caporegime
OP
Morba said:
no probs with it being hardcore aslong as they dont mind a learner!
i did judo to green belt (Star club in withywood Bristol) till i was 14, got bored at not being able to advance until 16!
did a few other bits and bobs before i was working the doors for 3 years so used to a bit of rough n tumble :D

any websites for these cardiff mma places?

http://cardiffmma.com/

There you go tiger...

Back
Top Bottom