The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Soldato
Good point on delivery, wipes out nearly all savings
Not familiar with my brexit terms but given I’m in NI I don’t think so
Just seen that they don't advertise the NI shipping (the £21 was England, Wales, Scotland) and as I can't add it to basket I can't see for myself either! How much is it to ship to NI?

And you're right, I don't think you'll get whacked for the extra fees given where you are.

Caporegime
Just seen that they don't advertise the NI shipping (the £21 was England, Wales, Scotland) and as I can't add it to basket I can't see for myself either! How much is it to ship to NI?

And you're right, I don't think you'll get whacked for the extra fees given where you are.

Same cost of NI shipping unfortunately (and slower, guess it is sent to mainland first then back to NI...)

might be cheaper for a day trip to midleton :)

have you tried the Dunville's PX 12 (even the 10 is good)
Definitely not cheaper but a trip down to Cork wouldn't be the worst

Honestly I'm clueless about whisky, its a gift for someone.

Associate
ill take it then that they all ready drink Redbreast all ready.
if you are about belfast sometime try calling into "friend at hand" just down the road abit from the Black Box

Associate
Auchentoshan is worth a shout, it's the only Scotch Whisky that is triple distilled. Their Three Wood is particularly smooth and nice.

Associate
Auchentoshan is worth a shout, it's the only Scotch Whisky that is triple distilled. Their Three Wood is particularly smooth and nice.
The Glasgow Distillery and Benriach, at least, do triple distilled scotch whiskies. Auchentoshan is one of my least favourite distilleries, my brother likes the 3 wood but personally I've not enjoyed any Auchentoshans I've tried that aren't from independent bottlers.

Associate
The Glasgow Distillery and Benriach, at least, do triple distilled scotch whiskies. Auchentoshan is one of my least favourite distilleries, my brother likes the 3 wood but personally I've not enjoyed any Auchentoshans I've tried that aren't from independent bottlers.

I think they are only partially triple distilled, if not then Auchentoshan will have to revise their claim lol. I think there are even some quadruple distilled, but again partial. Their 18 year old was quite nice but I've had better. My all time favourite whisky is still Arran Machrie Moor Cask Strength.

Associate
I think they are only partially triple distilled, if not then Auchentoshan will have to revise their claim lol. I think there are even some quadruple distilled, but again partial. Their 18 year old was quite nice but I've had better. My all time favourite whisky is still Arran Machrie Moor Cask Strength.
No, they are completely triple distilled. The only distinction that Auchentoshan has is that all their whiskies are triple distilled, where others only do it for certain bottlings.

Soldato
If you want a good non-offensive (ie sound taste but not peaty/smokey dram) then Glenrothes select reserve is a safe bet. Smooth.

Soldato
The other night my dad and I enjoyed a small selection of decent whiskies. In order of preference;
1. Bladnoch Classic Collection, 47%
2. Nikka From The Barrel, 51%
3. Yoichi Single Malt, 45%
4. Ardbeg Wee Beastie, 47%
5. Bladnoch Pure Scot, 53%

The top two were really close, both being fantastic drams. It was a great tasting.

Associate
No, they are completely triple distilled. The only distinction that Auchentoshan has is that all their whiskies are triple distilled, where others only do it for certain bottlings.

Ah, maybe that's what it is. A slight play on words then!

I'm sure I've read something about Benriach where they claimed to be triple distilled but only had two copper pots at the time lol I'm not sure of the authenticity of it though.

Associate
The other night my dad and I enjoyed a small selection of decent whiskies. In order of preference;
1. Bladnoch Classic Collection, 47%
2. Nikka From The Barrel, 51%
3. Yoichi Single Malt, 45%
4. Ardbeg Wee Beastie, 47%
5. Bladnoch Pure Scot, 53%

The top two were really close, both being fantastic drams. It was a great tasting.

I've ordered a few bottles of the Yoichi Single Malt over the years and really like it, each bottle was very consistent. It's up there as one of my favourites.

Soldato
Out with the old

• Laphroaig Select - received as a gift a few years ago, nothing special but a decent peaty sipper. 5.
  • Benromach 10 - unbelievably good value, got this for EUR 30 from a German retailer that no longer ships to UK. Got better and better towards the end of the bottle. Amazing industrial and creamy taste. 7 (almost 8 on value)
  • Aberlour 12 non chill filter - sought this out for ages after hearing great things about it from years ago, again found on that German site under the new Aberlour branding. Really liked it but not blown away. Amazingly up front juicy berry flavours. 6.5
  • Springbank 10 - This was really good, my first try of Springbank and very easy to reach for when you open the cabinet. A brilliant all rounder. 8.
  • Longrow Peated - Again very very good value, think this cost me 30 quid (before fees and shipping etc) at auction. Very approachable but also a lot to appreciate. Really balanced both in terms of amount of peat and other flavours. 7.

In with the new
  • Aberlour A'bunadh - very famous sherry bomb, have wanted a bottle since first trying Aberlour 12 as my first single malt years ago but never got round to it before they hiked prices from 50ish quid to 80ish. Landed this for 55 (+ fees) at auction.
  • Caol Ila 9 yr, Cadenhead's Authentic - first purchase of an IB, and first from Caol Ila too.
  • Dailuaine 9 yr Sauternes Finish (Carn Mor) - was looking to get hold of a Sauternes finish and jumped on this
  • Glencadam 17 Portwood finish - the oldest bottle I've bought os far I think, and keen to try port finish too. Only time I've tried port matured so far was a 19yr old Springbank private bottling, which I know this won't touch, but if it's even reminiscent I'll be very happy
  • Ledaig 11 1st fill Oloroso - been meaning to try Ledaig for a long time and this looked like a good buy
  • Kilchoman Madeira Cask Matured - who doesn't love a bit of peat and sweet. I've actually cracked this one already as I was really excited to try it. Almost overwhelmingly flavourful, and a bit on the brash side. Before you add water that is. Don't often add water but this felt like it really needed it (50% so not exactly the highest ABV though). I think the madeira flavours come through quite woody, but they are really nice once your pallet adjusts. And the smokey background is really fantastic. Managed to persuade the wife to try this one due to the promise of nice madeira flavours and it wiped her out.
  • Martell VS - how did this get in here!? Have never owned a bottle of brandy, and seeing it at 17.50 seemed like a good time to change that. Have really enjoyed a few brandies I've had at friend's houses recently, similar but very different to whisky, and I think it's better suited as an after dinner drink.

Also acquired some miniatures, mostly was interested in the old Talisker, the GD18 and 12 just to try, and the BenRiach. Contents of each photo came as a bundle.

Soldato
Ah, maybe that's what it is. A slight play on words then!

I'm sure I've read something about Benriach where they claimed to be triple distilled but only had two copper pots at the time lol I'm not sure of the authenticity of it though.
Technically you could triple distil with one still - it's not how many stills you have, it's how many times it goes through the distillation process...

Associate
Technically you could triple distil with one still - it's not how many stills you have, it's how many times it goes through the distillation process...

Of course, but could and would? I can't see it myself. But still (no pun intended) I don't think triple distilled is the be all end all, but I do like it.

Back
Top Bottom